• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cufflinks

Shanks

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm tying to choose which cufflinks to get to complement a dark grey 3 piece suit, worn with a white shirt & burgundy tie. I'll also be wearing a stainless steel watch with a black face. It's for a wedding & I'll be the groom, so I'm looking for something tasteful but maybe slightly different to what everone else will be wearing.

The two I have in mind at the moment are a stainless steel one I saw today with a carbon fibre insert, as below. It's made by Raymond Weil, curiously enough.

The second one is almost identical to the one below, made by Gieves & Hawkes (same as the suit) execpt it has a mother of pearl insert instead of the black onyx shown below.

I'm interested in hearing any opinions or seeing different examples/suggestions if anyone has any. Cheers
2e69c46.jpg

mother of pearl rather than onyx
5vysqw.jpg

cuffthis

Reaction score
Double-sided pairs, preferably antique ones, are the way to go.

Check Ebay, you can often find them for less than retail prices of today's contemporary pairs.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I quite like Drakes cufflinks. Definitely not as "modern" or contemporary as the ones you posted, but they have their own charm: http://shoponline.drakes-london.com/...f%20Links.aspx No offense intended, but the ones you've posted seem a bit more "flat" and lacking in character, but that's just my opinion...

dred76

Reaction score
Anyone have suggestions for someplace besides ebay to find good antique double sided cufflinks?

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go with the first pair, the 2nd is nice but looks too formal. The other pair is more modern and shoudl go fine with the other items you have selected.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm a fan of these from cartier, and i think theyre a little more visually interesting than what you have picked, but they still meet your criteria.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dred76
Anyone have suggestions for someplace besides ebay to find good antique double sided cufflinks?

http://cufflinkedin.com/cufflinks3.html

You can support my venture by buying mine. Also, my beaded ones are similar to the ones from Drakes that was posted above. All proceeds go to pay for optometry school. Thanks.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If I had to choose between those, I'd go with the MOP. The carbon fiber looks ok but there's too much silver setting and not enough carbon fiber. I've seen some better ones using that material.

Originally Posted by dred76
All the cuff links I sell are double-sided. Some are made of antique materials. I have onyx, mother of pearl, and many others.

Shanks

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, I'll check out the links & let you know what I go for. Anyone else who'd like to add their own suggestions would be welcome too

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads