• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cufflink Style Terminology

mrsolid

Reaction score
Hi, first time poster. I've accumulated a number of french-cuffed shirts over the last few years and received several sets of cufflinks this Christmas, one of which particularly appealed to me because of its unique style. Rather than a traditional toggle style where a metal post is rotated to hold the cufflink in place after being passed through the cuff, this set wraps around the outside of the cuff and is hinged. There is a post fixed to one side of the cufflink which passes through the cuff holes and then snaps into the other side of the cufflink when you fold it closed. The problem is that the cufflinks were purchased at a store with a relatively low standard of quality (Mexx) and the hinge and / or snapping mechanism are not strong enough, resulting in the cufflinks popping open every so often, meaning they would definitely be lost the first time I wore them. I've tried looking online for higher quality, more durable versions of this style of cufflink from other sources, however, I have no idea what the official term is for this style. I've tried search terms such as "hinged" "wraparound " "wrap" and "folding" and managed to find the odd set here and there but I assume there must be a more correct name for these and that they're readily available if you search using the right terminology. I've attached a screenshot of the closest thing I've been able to find to try and illustrate what I'm describing. Although the cufflink in this picture is not hinged, this style does wrap around the outside of the cuff and I've added a few notes to indicate the differences between the cufflink pictured and what I'm actually after. Any info on what these are actually called and where to find good ones is much appreciated !

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LaoHu

Reaction score
You can also find versions at M. P. Levene that are less expensive than Longmire. Mr. Levene offers excellent customer service.

mrsolid

Reaction score
Thanks for the info
biggrin.gif
These are all pretty pricey - anyone know where something like this might be had in the sub-$100 range?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads