• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crompton: "It rarely feels appropriate to wear a pocket handkerchief anymore"

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CM reads like the comment section to a Wall Street Journal article about clothing.
There is quite a bit of eyebrow raising and harrumphing with little flexibility it seems. I’m actually hoping for a slight powering down and actual Casual Fridays and such. Tailoring is still pretty awesome but losing it’s luster a little.

Fairly epic CM closet cull coming up from me in a few weeks. Several boxes of painful closet expulsions but I had to be honest.

Last edited:

corpseposeur

Reaction score
Outfit looks nice to me.

I don't understand people who get mad that some people own expensive things. This forum regularly talks about $500 jeans and $200 shirts. Are people mad at those members?

View attachment 1739853

This is a good look and very applicable to daily wear in 2022. I don't like tucking into denim or light wash jeans personally.

Simon generally dresses well and PS generally has a sober perspective.I feel like it is very easy for CM to careen wildly into 1940s cosplay territory. I don't care for that and I appreciate his perspective even if the well is running a bit dry. I also don't care how much he spends on things. You can always spend less or more, but there is usually a comfortable sweet spot where you can get a reasonable return on investment. If you can find that at Men's Wearhouse, go for it.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
A lot of silliness on here.

Yes, Simon's clothes cost a lot. So do a lot of things people talk about on here. If this is new or surprising to you, I don't know where you've been.

As for sustainability, I think a lot of it comes across as disingenuous. If you want to help the environment, there are many better things to do with your money than pay for a sneaker resole. I am not sure what the most cost-effective thing is (a lot depends on what your environmental goals are) but buying sustainable clothing is not it. I worry that a lot of these individual-level things like recycling are bad for the environment because they give people the impression that they're making a real difference when they're not (or only barely are) and then people feel like they are doing enough. We need a change in how we produce energy and how we product wildlife habitats and we need technologies for doing all sorts of things and we need better trash collection in poorer countries. Keeping shoes for longer might be on the list of things we need, but it is very far down.

apShepard

Reaction score
Am I the only one who doesn't like the outfit posted? I don't care how much the mom jeans costed, they look really ugly to me. The cut of the coat is very good but I don't like the fabric. Overal not prticularly impressed with the look, altough usualy I like Simons outfits.

As for sustainability, wasn't CM inherently sustainable? GYW shoes are resolable and biodegradable, also the style changes very little throuth the years. I gues that's the downfall of CM and of any blog focusing on CM, wearing grey trousers and a navy sportcoat gets boring quick in an age which requires constant stimulation and internet trafic.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As for sustainability, wasn't CM inherently sustainable? GYW shoes are resolable and biodegradable, also the style changes very little throuth the years. I gues that's the downfall of CM and of any blog focusing on CM, wearing grey trousers and a navy sportcoat gets boring quick in an age which requires constant stimulation and internet trafic.

this is a pretty devastating observation , but disregards equity which is a prior virtue these days

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is a good look and very applicable to daily wear in 2022. I don't like tucking into denim or light wash jeans personally.

Simon generally dresses well and PS generally has a sober perspective.I feel like it is very easy for CM to careen wildly into 1940s cosplay territory. I don't care for that and I appreciate his perspective even if the well is running a bit dry. I also don't care how much he spends on things. You can always spend less or more, but there is usually a comfortable sweet spot where you can get a reasonable return on investment. If you can find that at Men's Wearhouse, go for it.

I also think it looks more natural in 2022 than the 1940s styled fits, although I also don't mind some of those looks.

There used to be a young guy near my neighborhood who dressed very CM. Head to toe with all the right pieces and accessories -- schoolboy scarf, tweed and flannels, single stick umbrella, pocket square, perfect button-down, etc. I think he stuck out in a way that didn't look good for his environment and age. Although if he's happy with his outfits, I suppose that's all that matters.

corpseposeur

Reaction score
I also think it looks more natural in 2022 than the 1940s styled fits, although I also don't mind some of those looks.

There used to be a young guy near my neighborhood who dressed very CM. Head to toe with all the right pieces and accessories -- schoolboy scarf, tweed and flannels, single stick umbrella, pocket square, perfect button-down, etc. I think he stuck out in a way that didn't look good for his environment and age. Although if he's happy with his outfits, I suppose that's all that matters.

To be clear, all I was saying was that it wasn't my thing. I do like 1940s suits just fine, they just have a limited usefulness to my personal day to day. Whereas an outfit like that is both tailored and useful in a WFH world when running errands around town.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is complete nonsense stating that a pocket square draws too much attention while wearing a baseball cap with a vintage cloth sportcoat, no matter the setting.

Late to this party. Heavy agree.

I always question someone’s objectivity once money is involved.

How can you continue to work in DC? :p

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
20220120_225434.jpg
Saying goodbye before I burn the collection. Must keep up with impermanent styles.

Last edited:

Sirguywhosmiles

Reaction score
So while we can pat ourselves on the back about our $360 sneaker resole, we don’t consider the human action and economic activity that went into the creation of that $360.
Steve Earle used to talk about the price of an album in terms of minimum wage, and how long someone would have to work to be able to buy his album.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

'patanoster

Reaction score
I like the outfit, though it seems a bit silly to spend even more $$ tapering $500 jeans to get a 8” leg opening out of a 9” leg opening. There are plenty of other good quality jeans available OTR with a light wash, mid rise and narrower leg opening.

Not directly relevant to all the PS baiting but where are these well priced, good quality OTR light wash, mid (to high) rise, slim-ish jeans? I’ve been looking for these for a long time and struggling to find them. Its nearly always the rise that lets em down.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads