• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones MTO Central

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are waterproof boots old fashioned.
Without a membrane like the gore tex that always ends up piercing.
So these are all terrain boots while remaining very elegant.

The double originality of these boots lies firstly in their veldtschoen assembly which is a rare assembly and which makes the boot completely waterproof up to the horizontal seams and secondly in the leather used: the Zug from Horween which is waterproof and very solid.

The Graal boots in fact...

That sums it up nicely.

I quite honestly find veldtschoen boots really good for walking in the countryside. They can withstand a lot of punishment and then just rinse them off, leave to dry, good brushing and a polish and they look almost like new.

I work outdoors in the British countryside quite regularly and quite often opt for veldtschoen over walking boots.

joonian

Reaction score
Hello friends - longtime member here coming out of cryo freeze. In the market for a pair of whisky shell chukkas but can’t find anything in the market. Quite like the c&j Brecon but don’t favour the dark brown. Wondering if this thread has ever looked at a whiskey shell makeup for Brecon or other chukka style? Or does anyone have an educated guess about what it might cost if I go solo MTO with them? I am in London so can easily get to a c&j shop. Thanks!

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Hello friends - longtime member here coming out of cryo freeze. In the market for a pair of whisky shell chukkas but can’t find anything in the market. Quite like the c&j Brecon but don’t favour the dark brown. Wondering if this thread has ever looked at a whiskey shell makeup for Brecon or other chukka style? Or does anyone have an educated guess about what it might cost if I go solo MTO with them? I am in London so can easily get to a c&j shop. Thanks!

Just a thought for you. Perhaps cross shop Carmina. Their chukka pattern is quite nice and they can make you a pair in bourbon. Might be a quicker and more economical option than c&j if you time it with one of their mto events (unfortunately you just missed one).

joonian

Reaction score
Just a thought for you. Perhaps cross shop Carmina. Their chukka pattern is quite nice and they can make you a pair in bourbon. Might be a quicker and more economical option than c&j if you time it with one of their mto events (unfortunately you just missed one).

thanks i did have a look at Carmina but I don’t know my size with them. I don’t think there’s a Carmina shop in London either to get fitted, so that was my main concern. want to get the size totally nailed with an MTO.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As I understand it, Carmina makes an unlined bourbon shell pair of chukkas and it is not MTO, but stock.

shoeinvestor

Reaction score
I also once thought about a chukka shell MTO but so far did not pursue it because of other shoe priorities. However, with respect to my other single MTO experiences with C&J, I would estimate a Brecon (or other C&J chukka) shell single MTO to be about 900 or 1000 pounds including VAT.
For comparison: I paid 775 pounds in 2017 for a Camberley suede single MTO and 900 pounds also in 2017 for a Connaught shell single MTO - both including VAT.
Hope that helps.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad I struck while the iron was hot on these, back in 2016.
6C386D0D-1F69-4594-95BF-56C6EB27BA87.jpeg

jayvee

Reaction score
Same, with bells on. So close!

@JoeRogan and @WNovizar - are you guys definitely out? If so, could you (or can I) remove your names from the spreadsheet please? Unless you're having second thoughts or want to sleep on it...? (Sorry, worth a try!)

@frighter3 - you were on the list originally. Your name came off earlier this week though I'm not sure whether that was at your instigation or because it was assumed you were out. Don't suppose you're still in?

Straws...clutching...

I’ll jump in on the shell Galway 2 if it’s ridgeway

Mm2862

Reaction score
Help me out on this, gang:

I have been dithering on a second boot I can wear to the office for winter (business casual), preferably with Veldt construction, but at least storm welt. I want something nice and well made. Thoughts between a member of the C&J boot lineup versus an Edward Green Galway? Thnx

JoeRogan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have been dithering on a second boot I can wear to the office for winter (business casual), preferably with Veldt construction, but at least storm welt. I want something nice and well made. Thoughts between a member of the C&J boot lineup versus an Edward Green Galway? Thnx

Get the veldt Galway

Braid

Reaction score

The only EG stormwelted that I would buy are the Cranleigh, truly beautiful. Between EG veldt Galway and CJ Coniston/Skye/Harlech/Galway I would go with CJ. Basically I would give the edge to EG on sleeker boots (last 82 Galway, Cranleigh etc..) while for heavier boots I prefer CJ.

smuj

Reaction score
Is there a zug snowdon planned at the moment. I cannot get access to the spread sheet.

Perfectcircles

Reaction score
Is there a zug snowdon planned at the moment. I cannot get access to the spread sheet.
Try this

smuj

Reaction score
Try this

Thanks for that. It worked.
I keep hoping there will be a snowdon GMTO without the faux cap. I cannot understand why people want to spend over the odds for zug and then put hundreds of unnecessary holes in it. I have a pair of C&J veldts with a faux cap. They leak badly at the sides of the toe cap seam when I walk in long wet grass. I think I will go for a single MTO so I can get a plain toe and a ridgeway sole fitted (ridgeway is far superior in snow and does not clog like the commando)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads