• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones MTO Central

shoeinvestor

Reaction score
And at all:
Please bear in mind that C&J usually has its annual price increase in March. And this year, the increase could be quite substantial (although I do not have any insider knowledge). So, we should complete all those nice GMTOs latest until end of February (including payment by all participants).

john_coburg

Reaction score
Thanks Crafty. You’re right, of course. I’m so used to seeing the Alden color 8 that I’ve come to equate that with color 8, but Alden’s is darker (more plum/eggplant?) Need to get me something in C&J burgundy soon.

Crikey, so there's an Alden Colour8 and a Horween Colour8? that's not too confusing is it? i thought Alden used Horween anyway? So i guess my question (owning a pair of Alden Colour8 low rise derby's) becomes: is there somewhere i can compare these two colour 8s? The Aldens are a little dark, so i'd be happier with a lighter shade, i'd just like to get an idea of what it'll look like. A link to a colour chart would be really handy, if anyone has one.

Gustaf

Reaction score
Crikey, so there's an Alden Colour8 and a Horween Colour8? that's not too confusing is it? i thought Alden used Horween anyway? So i guess my question (owning a pair of Alden Colour8 low rise derby's) becomes: is there somewhere i can compare these two colour 8s? The Aldens are a little dark, so i'd be happier with a lighter shade, i'd just like to get an idea of what it'll look like. A link to a colour chart would be really handy, if anyone has one.

Alden does use Horween color 8 but they put an extra coat on it, which results in that darker shade.

I don't have a colour comparison but I am sure someone has. But the color will also depend on age, light exposure, maintenance, and wear. Over time, color 8 first brightens up to more of a red tone and then fades to brown. I believe Alden's color 8 follows a similar pattern. My guess is @Crafty Cumbrian has all the colours in various stages of patina and could probably do a live colour chart.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Thanks Crafty. You’re right, of course. I’m so used to seeing the Alden color 8 that I’ve come to equate that with color 8, but Alden’s is darker (more plum/eggplant?) Need to get me something in C&J burgundy soon.

Didn’t know bourbon and whiskey are the same though. I’ve seen them listed as separate colours, but that may not have been from reliable sources, or they changed the naming? Or are you saying C&J calls bourbon whiskey and there’s another ”real” whiskey color from Horween? Like this:

I don’t think whiskey is a colour anymore. I have a Harlech in old and new whiskey. I think the new is Bourbon or damn close…. Shell can change batch to batch anyway which is half the fun! 😂

cbondanz

Reaction score
I don’t think whiskey is a colour anymore. I have a Harlech in old and new whiskey. I think the new is Bourbon or damn close…. Shell can change batch to batch anyway which is half the fun! 😂
CC - any chance you can post a side-by-side pic? Curious to see the difference. Thanks in advance.

shoeinvestor

Reaction score
I just got confirmation from C&J that the six participants minimum for shell GMTOs is still valid!

@Gustaf: They also confirmed that they have enough material to make six pairs of boots in navy shell cordovan. Now we only need some more participants. Do you have a reddit account to advertise the GMTOs on the goodyear-welted reddit?

mxgreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently C&J has various random pairs of shell that are part of the sale but are not advertised.

For example, all of the following are available (as of this morning) in UK11E for £490 (I presume the price would be less - ex-VAT - for shipments to the States):

Henley in burgundy shell
Harvard in whisky shell
Bradford in black shell and in dark brown shell
Harrogate in burgundy shell

Also, the Cardigan in brown shell for £450.

I don't know what models are available in other sizes. You can contact Ms. Alex Vigouroux, assistant manager at the 69 Jermyn Street (London) shop for more information. Her e-mail address is [email protected]

Last edited:

Style989

Reaction score
Hi @Style989 Wouldn´t be wise to insert the GMTO in the spread sheet so people can have that option when accesing to it?. Cheers and happy new year.
I've now added the brown rough out Islay proposal to the spreadsheets.

I went with what seemed to be the most popular specs to date but again happy to change them on consensus

Marmite89

Reaction score
I've now added the brown rough out Islay proposal to the spreadsheets.

I went with what seemed to be the most popular specs to date but again happy to change them on consensus

Are you aiming for the same dark brown rough out as on the Grizedale? Any confirmation yet on expected pricing?

Style989

Reaction score
Are you aiming for the same dark brown rough out as on the Grizedale? Any confirmation yet on expected pricing?
Yes, it will be the same brown as Grizedale, Coniston and Molton. CJ only offer one brown shade for rough out, along with navy, black and green.

Price is confirmed at £510 including VAT or £425 excluding VAT. So less than standard Islay but slightly more than Grizedale

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads