• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CROCKETT & JONES mottled look loafers ??

Lafcadio

Reaction score
CROCKETT & JONES mottled look loafers ????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should I buy these C&J Cavendish tassel loafers for £18 ?

They have a peculiar mottled appearance, unexplained by seller, who thinks this is intentional and likes them like this.

I am confused and although they are cheap ( he reduced them twice) worried that they might be in fact buggered, or the leather corrupted in some way.

I quite like the look but it's not really smart.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CROCKETT-AND-J...item1c1c43093f

Advice please. Ends in ca. 12 hours.

Fit should be fine although never bought C&J before. I'm a UK9.5 in Cheaney & Church, and UK10 or EU44 in Vass, bought on eBay last year.
Attached Thumbnails

Lafcadio

Reaction score
here are pics I failed to upload before

Lafcadio

Reaction score
I am most grateful for your advice - 3 of you.

I suppose I already knew but needed confirmation. Plenty more fish in the sea - particularly as the Cheaney sale approaches at their factory shop, only 20 minutes from our modest chateau.
( English humour ).
I still ponder how they got into this state. Thanks again.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's hard to tell from the pics exactly what's happened to the leather. It could just be a really bad polish job which could be fixed by stripping them back, or they could be completely 'buggered'. It is certainly not intentional though.

Lafcadio

Reaction score
Many thanks to all who replied. They have gone to one bid of £18 ( ca. $29 ) which did not come from me. In pursuit of a bargain, and a shoe I liked, one must never stray from the path of common sense and good SF advice.
Jawohl - have quickly read the tscherman description and will study further. Quite possible that someone tried to dye them or over polish with another colour. I can understand german, so will find this most interesting. ( Can hear my wife shouting GET A LIFE as I muse over these inconsequentialities ).
All academic now, but I am grateful for all help. Cheaney Sale here I come ( pace wife).

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For the life of me I cannot understand how any sensible man would even consider dreaming of considering wearing tassels. They are so awful its beyond belied.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
For the life of me I cannot understand how any sensible man would even consider dreaming of considering wearing other people's used shoes. They are so awful its beyond belied.

This I agree
nod[1].gif

Lafcadio

Reaction score
Fair enough, but I do.
Here in England, there are no old man connotations that I recognise.

So, presumably, you would detest my Maxwells, bought locally from a retailer who forages the local factories.
Guess what they cost ?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Its not an old man connotation bro, its just a style of shoes that are beyond ugly.

Nothing more unappealing than an overweight guy in a suit with these tasseled loafers on with an inch of sock exposed on the top of the foot before the siut pant starts.

It gets worse. Shorts, black socks, tasseled loafers.

And worse: elderly, vericose, shorts, etc...

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy