• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett and Jones "Grasmere": Yay or nay?

Yay or nay?

• Yay

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not sure how I feel about this country shoe. Thinking about getting them, as the 317 last fits me really well. (I have weird feet)

They're somewhat sleek (if a country shoe can be sleek), but the double sole is very clodhopper-ish

Yay or nay? And what you wear these with, if anything? Only thing I can really think of is tweed jacket and flannel pants

GrasmereGrain-RubberSole-zo.jpg

crockett-jones-grasmere-derby-02.JPG

Les+fr%C3%A8res+JO%27+-+JS+-++Green+parka+06+-+Parka+GANT+by+Michael+Bastian,+Crockett+&+Jones+Grasmere.jpg

Last edited:

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like that shoe quite a bit, but would much prefer it with a dainite sole. It is very casual (esp. the scotch grain) and wouldn't work with suits anyway, so why not get a more weather resistant sole?

Clark

Reaction score
I think they are great, and the tan scotch grain age beautiful. I have a pair of Grasmeres in another kind of leather and also a pair of Chepstow chukkas, which are on the same last (325) and in tan scotch grain. Perfect shoes for fall and winter, especially with the dainite sole.

/C

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've got the Ralph Lauren version known as the Ash. I like them quite a bit although would prefer they had a dainite sole.
I think they look a lot better irl than is indicated by those pictures.
As you state, they work best with tweed/flannel but that's mostly what I wear in cooler months.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've got the Ralph Lauren version known as the Ash. I like them quite a bit although would prefer they had a dainite sole.
I think they look a lot better irl than is indicated by those pictures.
As you state, they work best with tweed/flannel but that's mostly what I wear in cooler months.

I have the RL shell cordovan version. It's a great shoe. Wasn't sure I was going to like it that much in the beginning as it is so plain, but the "plain-ness" is the appeal.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Too light for me, prefer the Ashdown (but that's on last 341):
crockett-jones-ashdown-shoe-01.JPG

I was thinking the same thing. The tan is just too much with the chunky sole.

Unfortunately, I'd have to get C&J MTO, which is pricey. The RL's aren't wide enough

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads