• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crocket and jones Burgundy shoe polish

sartajsajid99

Reaction score
I have a pair of these Burgundy penny loafers from C&J. Just wondering what material should I use to polish and wax it. I want to keep stuff between $20. Will neutral polishes do good on this one? Cause I can use them on other shoes too. Just trying to be budget friendly for the time being.

Salanizi

Reaction score
Get some Saphir burgundy shoe cream, and neutral wax polish. For CJ I would not use anything less than Saphir.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depending on how often you wear them and under what conditions, I cannot imagine needing to treat the shoes more than 3-4x/year.

Seen in that light, I cannot imagine how the cost of the product could be a factor.

sartajsajid99

Reaction score
Depending on how often you wear them and under what conditions, I cannot imagine needing to treat the shoes more than 3-4x/year.

Seen in that light, I cannot imagine how the cost of the product could be a factor.
Sometimes I wear them for straight 7 days, sometimes I skip a month. When I use them straight, they tend to have dusts all over after a few days. So I want to keep them fresh.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I wear them for straight 7 days, sometimes I skip a month. When I use them straight, they tend to have dusts all over after a few days. So I want to keep them fresh.

keeping them fresh simply requires a brushing and putting away with shoe trees inserted. You needn’t apply product that much.

Also, it’s never a good idea to wear them straight for so many days. Giving them a 1-2 day rest is ideal.

Regardless of any of that, there’s really not a need to apply cream, polish and/or wax (certainly not wax!) that often.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just backing up what Phileas said. Wearing them 7 days in a row is suboptimal. 1 day of rest in between wears at least. 2 ideally.

Obviously this might not be possible, but it's not just weird SF hockum. It will help the shoes last longer.

Salanizi

Reaction score
Thanks I guess that’s what I’m getting. Except for wax polish do I need anything else?

Not really, the cream will nourish and restore pigment, the wax will protect against water to an extent, and shine. Of course a brush to buff....

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm more of a cream person. I like my shoes to have that healthy glow as opposed to the shine of wax. Just a personal preference. As for water repellency, it's not a priority as I won't wear them on days when it's raining.

On those occasions when I've misjudged or ignored the weather and my calfskin shoes have gotten wet, I've found that inserting the shoe trees and letting them air dry, usually place on raised surface that allows exposure to air on the bottom as well, does the trick. Apply cream after drying, brush and good as new.

Of course, the ideal situation would be to not get them wet like that in the first place, but things happen I suppose.

CLRox

Reaction score
I have a pair of these Burgundy penny loafers from C&J. Just wondering what material should I use to polish and wax it. I want to keep stuff between $20. Will neutral polishes do good on this one? Cause I can use them on other shoes too. Just trying to be budget friendly for the time being.
Hey polishes and creams would be good to use. If you wish to do that, I am recommending some good picks that I myself have tried too.
You can view the details here https://voy-voy.com/best-boot-polish/ and see whether they would be helpful. Don't forget to check the last one as it's the most budget friendly as per your requirement.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not wax polish?
there is nothing wrong with using wax. Let me first suggest that in most cases the notion that you need to use 3 or 4 different products on the same shoe is complete marketing hype. You don't need to use conditioner, polish and wax on most dress shoes. Use polish or wax based on your preference. Conditioner is completely unnecessary for most instances. Wax requires a bit more time but produces a better shine. It also, IMO, provides a better protection to scuffs. Polish or cream takes less effort but will arguably show more character of the real leather.

I will also say this: i used creams kiwi wax polish for years, several creams and now use Saphir wax. I still say there is nothing wrong with Kiwi. Saphir allows you to get a shine quicker but you can't build up the same layers (IMO) that you could with kiwi. THe saphir tends to crack/shed more in creases than the kiwi did for me. But, because it gets a shine quicker and I don't need the durable layers of wax I did in the past, Saphir is now a good choice. Additionally you have more shades. Maybe kiwi has changed but it used to be just dark brown, black and burgundy.

But, as said by another poster and I agree - cream or polish is more natural looking than wax.

One thing I will suggest is finding edge dressing as well. Even if the tops of your shoes look great if the shoe edges still show color differences (color added or removed) the shoe still looks bad. Used to be easy with soles being either brown or black edged. Now it's more challenging. Allen Edmunds used to have a number of edge dressing shades - but I think they may have stopped it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads