• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Crocket and jones Burgundy shoe polish

sartajsajid99

Reaction score
I have a pair of these Burgundy penny loafers from C&J. Just wondering what material should I use to polish and wax it. I want to keep stuff between $20. Will neutral polishes do good on this one? Cause I can use them on other shoes too. Just trying to be budget friendly for the time being.

Salanizi

Reaction score
Get some Saphir burgundy shoe cream, and neutral wax polish. For CJ I would not use anything less than Saphir.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depending on how often you wear them and under what conditions, I cannot imagine needing to treat the shoes more than 3-4x/year.

Seen in that light, I cannot imagine how the cost of the product could be a factor.

sartajsajid99

Reaction score
Depending on how often you wear them and under what conditions, I cannot imagine needing to treat the shoes more than 3-4x/year.

Seen in that light, I cannot imagine how the cost of the product could be a factor.
Sometimes I wear them for straight 7 days, sometimes I skip a month. When I use them straight, they tend to have dusts all over after a few days. So I want to keep them fresh.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I wear them for straight 7 days, sometimes I skip a month. When I use them straight, they tend to have dusts all over after a few days. So I want to keep them fresh.
keeping them fresh simply requires a brushing and putting away with shoe trees inserted. You needn’t apply product that much.

Also, it’s never a good idea to wear them straight for so many days. Giving them a 1-2 day rest is ideal.

Regardless of any of that, there’s really not a need to apply cream, polish and/or wax (certainly not wax!) that often.

ValidusLA

Reaction score
Just backing up what Phileas said. Wearing them 7 days in a row is suboptimal. 1 day of rest in between wears at least. 2 ideally.

Obviously this might not be possible, but it's not just weird SF hockum. It will help the shoes last longer.

Salanizi

Reaction score
Thanks I guess that’s what I’m getting. Except for wax polish do I need anything else?
Not really, the cream will nourish and restore pigment, the wax will protect against water to an extent, and shine. Of course a brush to buff....

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm more of a cream person. I like my shoes to have that healthy glow as opposed to the shine of wax. Just a personal preference. As for water repellency, it's not a priority as I won't wear them on days when it's raining.

On those occasions when I've misjudged or ignored the weather and my calfskin shoes have gotten wet, I've found that inserting the shoe trees and letting them air dry, usually place on raised surface that allows exposure to air on the bottom as well, does the trick. Apply cream after drying, brush and good as new.

Of course, the ideal situation would be to not get them wet like that in the first place, but things happen I suppose.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

• Disposable surgical mask

• White cotton mask

• Linen-lined mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

• Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

• Solid color silk mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

• Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

• Denim mask

• Face shield

Results are only viewable after voting.