• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critter ties

hchamp

Reaction score
I've always liked ties with little figures, but not in the traditional patterns, like dogs and pheasants. Are other critters, like flamingos, sharks, cars, etc just as acceptable? And in the hierarchy of ties, where do these stand in terms of formality? Are there particular seasons to wear them? When is it just wrong to wear one?

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
stirpot.gif

I can't wait to hear some of the opinions on these...

I like them. They are whimsical. I don't think you'd want to wear them in more serious situations, but for an average day in the office they are fine.

I do find them ubiquitous, however, and since coming to SF (and being indoctrinated by group think) I buy mostly woven, neat patterns and paisleys. I still wear my Ferragamos and Brooks, but not as often.

katon

Reaction score
Sure, as long as they follow the rest of the format.
smile.gif
I'd place them slightly below university stripe ties in formality.

hchamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StockwellDay
stirpot.gif

I can't wait to hear some of the opinions on these...

I like them. They are whimsical. I don't think you'd want to wear them in more serious situations, but for an average day in the office they are fine.

I do find them ubiquitous, however, and since coming to SF (and being indoctrinated by group think) I buy mostly woven, neat patterns and paisleys. I still wear my Ferragamos and Brooks, but not as often.

So critters are not popular here because they are too ubiquitous? I see many more neats and stripes than critters. Very few paisleys.

Do you wear your critters with suits? Or just with the odd jacket? I've got a great white shark on a navy ground that I wear with a seersucker suit and jacket. But seersucker is not formal.

hchamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
And lucky for you they are on sale at J. Crew right now.

Close. The one on sale now is black. The one I bought is navy and is sold out.

I liked the idea of pairing genteel blue and white seersucker with predatory sharks.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And lucky for you they are on sale at J. Crew right now.

And *still* $40, some sale. I love critter and crest ties, plain or striped. J Crew has some cool ones, but still no tabby cats. I think what I might do is make my own tie. I'll get some silk and have an old lady with an embroidery machine put some cats on it.

I would put the critter ties in the middle in terms of formality. They are fun to wear during the day I think.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like a tie with Napoleonic bees, a bit like this:
134.jpg
Also, I'd love a tie with cockroaches in more or less the same manner.
smile.gif

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the J. Crew ties were $40.00 and as usual the stores have a different selection than the website. I still didn't find anything I could use there though. As for making your own, that could be pretty cool. If it was me, I would just keep an eye out for one on either ebay or look around at the various outlets. I saw one a month ago that was Polo that I should have gotten... gorgeous royal blue with small red lobsters! Oh well. Another day.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the J. Crew ties were $40.00 and as usual the stores have a different selection than the website. I still didn't find anything I could use there though. As for making your own, that could be pretty cool. If it was me, I would just keep an eye out for one on either ebay or look around at the various outlets. I saw one a month ago that was Polo that I should have gotten... gorgeous royal blue with small red lobsters! Oh well. Another day.

The lobsters at J Crew were cool. I haven't found a tabby one though, even Hermes on ebay I have tried. I have been looking on and off for several months.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear Hermes animal ties occasionally - bunnies, seals, etc, etc. I even have a Doraemon tie with the cute little cat-like robot all over it.

I pretend to wear them in a post-modern ironic way, but really it's just because they look funny.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads