• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cravats

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's achieved some small measure of popularity here in Australia in recent times due to one of the hosts of Aussie MasterChef on TV wearing one practically 24/7.

Brogued

Reaction score
It is hard to do without being costumey. I wear them with some regularity, but I'm a musician and so I am kind of wearing a costume while on stage. The ladies do like it.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PTWilliams
How about like this? I agree that a tie and pocket square benefit from being different, but I'm not sure that necessarily applies to cravat? Opinion?

You're showing too much cravat (and skin around the cravat)--leave only the top button of your shirt unbuttoned--the cravat should be subtle. Matching a cravat and pocket square seems to me identical on the scale of sartorial sins to matching a necktie and pocket square.

dekdek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
You're showing too much cravat (and skin around the cravat)--leave only the top button of your shirt unbuttoned--the cravat should be subtle. Matching a cravat and pocket square seems to me identical on the scale of sartorial sins to matching a necktie and pocket square.

Agreed

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I've only seen a few dudes under 50 wearing them IRL, and all the dudes were exactly the type of guy you'd expect to be wearing them. Pass.

003fvl.jpg

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Did you see what the cravat did to his pants?

Fine, let's remove the ascot:

[click pic for NSFW version]

Happy now?

BTW, you were on the hook for last week's digest...you can do a double week next Friday as penance.

- B

PTWilliams

Reaction score
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE, MUCH APPRECIATED. I'll listen to my sage SF colleagues.

Personally, I think that ties are way overdone. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting another guy with a tie.

One question is for something so rare as a cravat, are there really any rules? Should I buy a shirt with the right sort of collar for a cravat?

How many of you guys have stepped out of your fashion comfort zone (I'm not talking about really weird stuff, just out of your comfort zone)? A cravats sort of perfect for this, fashionable, but what will others think? You know if Sean Connery was wearing one he could pull it off in spades (I know, I'm no Sean Connery). Fashion should be fun.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Fine, let's remove the ascot:

[click pic for NSFW version]

Perhaps there should be an exception for the hirsute.

BTW, you were on the hook for last week's digest...you can do a double week next Friday as penance.
I haven't forgotten. Christmas was just a slow week and the digest was busy discussing the year in review. So I'll do a double, Betty and Veronica style.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PTWilliams
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE, MUCH APPRECIATED. I'll listen to my sage SF colleagues.

Personally, I think that ties are way overdone. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting another guy with a tie.

One question is for something so rare as a cravat, are there really any rules? Should I buy a shirt with the right sort of collar for a cravat?

How many of you guys have stepped out of your fashion comfort zone (I'm not talking about really weird stuff, just out of your comfort zone)? A cravats sort of perfect for this, fashionable, but what will others think? You know if Sean Connery was wearing one he could pull it off in spades (I know, I'm no Sean Connery). Fashion should be fun.

I think a cravat works best with a button-down collar. I have worn them successfully with some non-BD shirts, but rarely.

I can't comment on the rest, as I am not sure I have a "fashion comfort zone." I have certainly felt comfortable wearing cravats/ascots since I started doing so back in the early '70s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads