• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Council requires on choosing Crockett and Jones

griffon_id

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am looking for a pair of C&J shoe which I have a few questions on size and last and would like to have your advise:

Size:

1/. I made some measurement of my feet. It is over 25cm but less than 25.5cm in length and is slightly over 9.5 cm from the joint of my big toe measure across. I have flat feet.

2/. I have tried out a pair of Trickers' with thick stock. It looks like Keswick or Bourton, which I tried on UK8 and UK7. For UK 8, I can put a finger loosely at the heel/end when I squeeze my feet all the way to the front. For UK7, same action but can tighly squeeze a finger. That department store does not carry fitting 6 or half size. But fitting 5 seems fine. Sadly, I cannot find Crockett and Jones here in HK.

What size I should choose?

For last, I do not prefer too elongated/pointed. Which last I should be looking at? I am looking at wingtip models like wigmore, edgeware, finsbury (it looks a bit round), westfield. They have different last, what last number I should choose?

Thanks!

GBer

Reaction score
If this is your first experience with a pair of UK shoes, I highly recommend trying the exact models on. No Tricker proxies. Make a visit to PLAL.com and perhaps you can make a quick trip there.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always try shoes on with a very thin sock. The UK7 probably seems the best choice as you describe it. But be wary that in my experience C&J fits a bit smaller than Tricker's, so a UK7 should be O.K.

The best thing, however, really is to try on the shoes before you buy. It's all very well to save money on shoes, but for your first pair by a maker you have no experience with, buy them from the shop and try them on.

Petrus1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by griffon_id
I am looking for a pair of C&J shoe which I have a few questions on size and last and would like to have your advise:

Size:

1/. I made some measurement of my feet. It is over 25cm but less than 25.5cm in length and is slightly over 9.5 cm from the joint of my big toe measure across. I have flat feet.

2/. I have tried out a pair of Trickers' with thick stock. It looks like Keswick or Bourton, which I tried on UK8 and UK7. For UK 8, I can put a finger loosely at the heel/end when I squeeze my feet all the way to the front. For UK7, same action but can tighly squeeze a finger. That department store does not carry fitting 6 or half size. But fitting 5 seems fine. Sadly, I cannot find Crockett and Jones here in HK.

What size I should choose?

For last, I do not prefer too elongated/pointed. Which last I should be looking at? I am looking at wingtip models like wigmore, edgeware, finsbury (it looks a bit round), westfield. They have different last, what last number I should choose?

Thanks!

Measure both you feet, including the instep and then width with a Brannock device.
If your length is 8 for example and your instep is also 8 or less then you're an 8 but if you're instep is 8.5 even though your length is 8 then you take 8.5 (some people have shorter toes) Then you lookmon the scale where 8.5 is and get the width. Let a salesmen do this for you standing up. Wear your normal socks but buy shoes later in day because people's feet swell a little and tight shoes are worse than shoes that are a bit roomy.
http://www.brannock.com/
I noticed that C&J make a lot of their shoes in an English E fitting which is a US C and for a slimmer foot(although they do have some G's (a US E)

Those 5 , 6 etc fittings are the old English fittings which I suppose they still uses in HK. I don't recall what these old number fitting correspond to in the newer letter fittings.

But as you can see if you go through the models, C&J makes slimmer shoes in general
http://www.crockettandjones.co.uk/collections.html

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Petrus1
Measure both you feet, including the instep and then width with a Brannock device.
If your length is 8 for example and your instep is also 8 or less then you're an 8 but if you're instep is 8.5 even though your length is 8 then you take 8.5 (some people have shorter toes) Then you lookmon the scale where 8.5 is and get the width. Let a salesmen do this for you standing up. Wear your normal socks but buy shoes later in day because people's feet swell a little and tight shoes are worse than shoes that are a bit roomy.
I noticed that C&J make a lot of their shoes in an English E fitting which is a US C and for a slimmer foot(although they do have some G's (a US E)

Those 5 , 6 etc fittings are the old English fittings which I suppose they still uses in HK. I don't recall what these old number fitting correspond to in the newer letter fittings.

But as you can see if you go through the models, C&J makes slimmer shoes in general

Buy shoes like you buy jeans. Buy the smallest size offered. They'll stretch.

Petrus1

Reaction score

my guess from your measurements is that you're a UK 7.5 F which is a medium width-F is a D in US) And as I said C&J makes a slimmer shoe fitting so perhaps you might want to go with an English size 8 or find a different brand.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my guess from your measurements is that you're a UK 7.5 F which is a medium width-F is a D in US) And as I said C&J makes a slimmer shoe fitting so perhaps you might want to go with an English size 8 or find a different brand.

Really a UK 7.5 E in Crockett and Jones. "E" is their medium (US "D") fitting.

GBer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Really a UK 7.5 E in Crockett and Jones. "E" is their medium (US "D") fitting.

Depends on the last

griffon_id

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thank you all for your reply.

I went to that department store which they have Tricker's and I tried on Tricker's fitting 5. It's written inside the shoe (fitting 5). I simply have no idea what fitting we use in HK. Is it depends on the shoe maker?

It is very hard to find C&J shoes in HK so I do not have any places that I can try out a pair. So I am trying to seek out as many advise as possible on line. I've placed enquiry to pediwear but no reply so far.

I am particularly looking at wigmore and finsbury. They are last 360 & 341 respectively. Can anymore shed me some light on the difference? I have seen comments from this forum that the last 341 looks old-mannish? I do not want a flat, round toe nor too pointed. Can you guys give me suggestions?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Those Tricker's country shoes like the Bourton fit quite a bit different from all the C&J I've tried.
For that matter, the Tricker's country line fits quite a bit different from their dressier models.
I was under the impression that fitting 5 just meant medium and 6 meant wide.

I'd just forget about using Tricker's as a baseline for determining C&J fitting.

griffon_id

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Those Tricker's country shoes like the Bourton fit quite a bit different from all the C&J I've tried.
For that matter, the Tricker's country line fits quite a bit different from their dressier models.
I was under the impression that fitting 5 just meant medium and 6 meant wide.

I'd just forget about using Tricker's as a baseline for determining C&J fitting.

Thanks! Fitting 5 means normal as I referred to the website. Too bad I cannot find any C&J here is HK that I can try on. I really want to purchase a pair of C&J before Christmas.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tricker's Fitting 5 is the same as E. Since I wear 8E and my Tricker Boots are all Fitting 5s.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, they don't use it in HK.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by griffon_id
Thanks! Fitting 5 means normal as I referred to the website. Too bad I cannot find any C&J here is HK that I can try on. I really want to purchase a pair of C&J before Christmas.

LC used to sell C&J in HK.
Go to Tassels at Landmark Basement to try the C&J in person, you don't need to guess what size fit you and what last look the best.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads