• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CottonWork f****d my order and is making me pay

PtrckHmphrys

Reaction score
In short, CottonWork disregarded the shirt measurements I provided, changing them considerably on the finished shirts without warning, and is now refusing to warrant even an exchange. Only alterations for which new fabric required is charged. Am I a fool to expect more from CottonWork's customer service?

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Product Warranties

CottonWork guarantees free alteration or exchange services within 60 days of your order.

Every shirt sold by CottonWork are made to measure based on selected fabric(s), if the measurements or design of the custom made product ordered does not correspond with the given measurements, CottonWork will accept the request in accordance with the terms of conditions posted from time to time at cottonwork.com. You are responsible for the cost of return shipment. In the event for a product replacement, CottonWork will be responsible for the cost of shipping the replacement product to you. As our customer, you are responsible for providing accurate measurement information.

Any supplemental warranties offered by CottonWork will be subject to terms and conditions posted on the Site from time to time.
--------------------------------------------------

So long as what you're writing in your post is accurate, it sounds like you should be able to return the shirts.

You'll probably need to prove it to them by supplying your order form/emailed measurements and then get these shirts measured by a tailor near you to show that the measurements of the shirts are not the measurements you gave the site to use.

PtrckHmphrys

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, I've been through their Terms & Conditions with a fine-tooth comb. I assure you I'm being accurate. Compared to the provided measurements, the chest, waist and hips are 1" larger in circumference, the sleeves are 1" narrower in circumference such that they don't even have pleats at the cuff and are so tight as to be unwearable.

I've explained this clearly to CottonWork in a series of emails, in addition to the fact that I've experienced the exact same scenario with them twice in the past and was allowed an exchange free of charge the first time and even a full refund the second time, no questions asked. Those times, however, I dealt with a different person (I won't mention names), and it seems the person I'm dealing with this time around won't back down.

Last edited:

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Disputing the credit card charge seems a good way to go based on what you said, man. You have a legit case and if they won't follow their own T&C then I'd claim fraud and make life hard on them.

cottonwork

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
Hello PtrckHmphrys,

We are very sorry about the frustration and confusion.

Please be assured that shirts are replaceable for any defects and if the shirts are not cut or prepared correctly to specifications provided. For non-defects related adjustments, such as subsequent discretionary change in sizing or style, we offer complimentary alteration service.

We trust you would understand that our shirts are individually handmade, which would not be re-stocked. Because of that we are only able to accept return due to defect. However, we always endeavor in assisting for any discretionary sizing or style changes. Alterations are complimentary. However, if materials are required in collar, cuffs or sleeves replacements, a fee would be involved.

We hope this would clarify and please feel free to contact us if you need any assistance.

Cheers
Lawrence

PtrckHmphrys

Reaction score
bored.gif

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello PtrckHmphrys,

Please be assured that shirts are replaceable for any defects and if the shirts are not cut or prepared correctly to specifications provided. For non-defects related adjustments, such as subsequent discretionary change in sizing or style, we offer complimentary alteration service.

We trust you would understand that our shirts are individually handmade, which would not be re-stocked. Because of that we are only able to accept return due to defect. However, we always endeavor in assisting for any discretionary sizing or style changes. Alterations are complimentary. However, if materials are required in collar, cuffs or sleeves replacements, a fee would be involved.

We hope this would clarify and please feel free to contact us if you need any assistance.

Cheers
Lawrence

I don't understand this reply. So the shirts are replaceable if they weren't prepared based on the measurements we give you, but we need to pay a fee for you to fix your own mistakes if you need to use extra fabric to make the fix?

If this isn't what you intended to convey I think the post needs to be edited.

Also, what if your mistakes were big enough such that alterations are not possible without the shirts looking weird? Would the buyer then be liable for your own errors?

PtrckHmphrys

Reaction score
Apparently, CottonWork now (or perhaps always) only offer exchanges or refunds if the shirts arrive with defects or are not made accurately to the provided measurements. The definition of accurate, however, it seems is up to them not you. The reply I've been given twice now from CottonWork is that my shirts were made "reasonably accurately" to the provided measurements and for that reason are not eligible for exchange or refund. An inch added here and taken away there, in my opinion, is not reasonable. Reasonable accuracy would be exact replication and nothing less.

TM79, your reading of that post is correct: CottonWork make the mistakes, you pay for them.

Incidentally, one of the shirts arrived with an unfinished buttonhole; I wonder if that qualifies as a defect so I can get a refund.

Last edited:

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello PtrckHmphrys,

Cheers
Lawrence

In my opinion, shirts that arrive with drastically different output measurements compared to the input would be, in your own words, not prepared correctly to specifications provided. So if what OP is describing - 1" bigger through the body and tighter in the arms - then you owe him a remake free of charge. If you don't think those measurement differences are significant, then you at least owe him an apology for not doing a good job, and you'll probably lose him as a customer.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In short, CottonWork disregarded the shirt measurements I provided, changing them considerably on the finished shirts without warning, and is now refusing to warrant even an exchange. Only alterations for which new fabric required is charged. Am I a fool to expect more from CottonWork's customer service?
Take pictures of yourself measuring the shirt and compare those measurements to what's on your profile. That should be enough to make them issue a refund and return slip. I'm not familiar with CottonWorks, but in the rare occasions where companies have botched my measurements, the measurement pictures usually work better than words.

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are facing an uphill battle here and losing valuable time. Some credit card companies have a time limit for disputing charges. Now is the time to initiate the dispute, not in a month after you try and fail to convince them that they made a mistake.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This company seems like it intentionally phrased its return policy in an ambiguous way so they can pick and choose when to honor it and leave you holding the bag.

Add them to the list of places I will never buy from.

Good luck getting this sorted out, OP. At the very least, thanks for giving everyone else a heads up not to deal with a place who has such awful customer service.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads