• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cotton/Silk Polo RL Connery (will I be disappointed) And glad to be back!

Did you stop wearing RL in the past 10 years due to quality?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

oldskool_2.0

Reaction score
Hi all was an active member years back out of NYC (now in Chicago) love the forum and love that it remains active with both newbies and veterans! I own and wear Zegna, Isaia, Brioni suits purchased on the Nieman Marcus website at 75% consistently, and am active during the day as a residential real estate broker so the better fabrics really pay. I am in and out of the car and running around and this forum taught me so much about how to buy suits and shoes and frankly saved me a ton of money in errors I used to make. One day I will get to custom but am capped at $1,200-1,500 for the most part for the referenced brands.

Question - When I was in my late 20's early 30's I used to own ALL RL suits but like so many, fool me once shame on me... the quality dropped so much that it became impossible to wear. Specifically the cashmere quality, but likewise for the shirts and all else but the Purple Label (which is fine but lacking the creativity it once had). I have not owned any of the newer regular label suit models.

That said I was given a very generous gift card and purchased the referenced (attached) summer suit. I am aware RLBL is not what it was, the old navy blue tag Cornelliani suits were terrific in the early 2000's. But the price was too good to pass on. It will arrive in the coming days.

Can anyone speak with this historic reference point to the quality and fit of these suits please? It's a summer weight and so that is understood but overall how have they changed fit wise and quality wise? Retail of $1,295 is meaningless as we all know RL is known for their blow out sales where they stack discounts (although perhaps this has changed under the new model?).

Bottom line for $400 plus the cost of alternations, if it is garbage I am all too happy to return. Thank you in advance. I think we all know how disappointing these guys have gotten on some of the stuff they are putting out under the former H+M CEO.

Thank you

Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 10.12.21 AM.png

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Welcome back! That suit isn't black label; it's blue label (just to clarify).

Not a bad price. Made in Slovakia by Corneliani. I liked the fabrics on old RL Polo better.

oldskool_2.0

Reaction score
BL = My reference was Blue (vs Purple) as I don't think they do Black anymore. OK so point taken they have downgraded the entire line. Thank you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads