• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Corduroy Sportcoat/Jacket--How to Wear?

raiderbuck

Reaction score
I have one. Check it out in the "What are you wearing..." thread and in the Kent Wang brown contest thread.

I've only really worn mine with jeans. It's slim fitting so it looks nice with slim jeans. Great casual look.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaxixi
Oh, man, forget it. I'm working toward a PhD (though not in Physics)...

Corduroy jackets are what tweed jackets used to be: the uniform of the university professor.
If you are working on a Ph.D. in the US, it is about the only jacket you can wear without getting strange looks.

That image I posted above was Carl Sagan in the late 1970's- give him a haircut
and he'd look like a college professor today.

Unlike the 1930's Indiana Jone college professor look and the style advocated
in "Mastering the college professor look", which no professor I've ever met looks like.
http://offthecuffdc.blogspot.com/200...ssor-look.html
IndyClassroom3.jpg

Francisco D'Anconia

Reaction score
I've got two and am very find of both. I wear them a lot. Both are choclate brown.

One has patch pockets and is more casual. I like wearing it with jeans.

The other is an RLPL with side vents and standard pockets. I wore it to a law offcie today with:
  • Brown Loake pebble grain full brouge anke boots
  • Grey flannel trousers
  • crean shirt with a multi-colored check patttern
  • Club tie with brown background and shields or something like that
  • Naby blue sweater vest

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an unusual cord sporcoat from Cortefiel in Spain - it is a light tan and has leather trim on the top of the notch lapels and pocket flaps, plus a lining with a bullfighting motif. Certainly not the most conservative thing I wear but it's a lot of fun.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out Singular in the WAWRN thread- he is really good at combining jeans and sportcoats. Here are three of his corduroy days, on Feb 8th, Jan 14, and Jan 11:

p1070064_1202469663.jpg
p1070071_1202469714.jpg

p1060607_1200330342.jpg
p1060608_1200330354.jpg

p1060489_1200055144.jpg
p1060486_1200055187.jpg

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
I think a cord jacket goes with most everything that a tweed jacket does although if I had my choice of just one, I would pick the tweed.

Btw, both are two fabrics that if made as a suit, the jacket can be worn as a sport coat.

Cheers, Jim.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Francisco D'Anconia
I've got two and am very find of both. I wear them a lot. Both are choclate brown.

One has patch pockets and is more casual. I like wearing it with jeans.

The other is an RLPL with side vents and standard pockets. I wore it to a law offcie today with:
  • Brown Loake pebble grain full brouge anke boots
  • Grey flannel trousers
  • crean shirt with a multi-colored check patttern
  • Club tie with brown background and shields or something like that
  • Naby blue sweater vest

Fantastic username. Too bad you didn't use his whole name.
laugh.gif

m7ia

Reaction score
Just bought an Old Navy brown cord sport coat [http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=673839 in mole] It's pretty boring looking, but I'm just trying out the look and it fits fairly well OTR. Also, it was only $35. I was thinking of wearing it with a white button down (either OCBD or point collar) with a cotton v-neck forest green sweater. What do you guys think? Also, I'm not really sure about the pants, I was thinking either khakis/chinos or maybe just blue jeans? Just FYI, I'm a 21 year old college student, and I am expecting one or two "professor" comments, haha. EDIT: Wow, just realized this is a old thread, sorry

oroy38

Reaction score
I'm a college student as well. I wear my brown cord jacket a v-neck or turtleneck in whatever color. I'm Indian so I have a darker complexion and opt for colors that pop in my v-necks. Lavender, orange, pink, etc. Underneath the sweater I might use a white dress shirt or checked shirt and a tie with a nice texture and colors that subtly complement the sweater.

My biggest trouble is deciding on pants. Since I'm in college I'll usually even it out with some nice jeans. During the colder months maybe some flannel pants in charcoal to medium grey. Shoes are up to the individual. I'm not a fan of suede in general, though many people like to pair that with cords. I think a soft calf or pebble grained boot in any shade of brown would be perfectly appropriate.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a brown corduroy jacket completed with elbow patch.

The jacket comes with shank-styled buttons like the below picture.

The jacket is to be worn on weekend running errands in the Fall.

Good idea to have them replace with regular dark broen buttons?

il_fullxfull.35559177.jpg

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes any kind of sport coat like that is a casual piece. It works well with just some nice slacks or dress jeans and a collared shirt, I would not wear it in a business setting.

OJ001

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Personally, I love corduroy sport coats.

Someone at Styleforum had made a comment on Lex Luthor and his corduroy sport coat. Sadly, I can't seem to be able to find it.

lex%20luthor%20spacey.jpg

I've always believe the attitude of a sportcoat depends more on the cut and less on the particular fabric. Corduroy sportcoat cuts are usually American country, English country or Academic. Most people today don't want to look like a stuffy university professor. Check out the more modern slimmer silhouettes from the ralph lauren website. Pay attention to the wale size. I have a couple from ralph lauren and one from donna karan. On those cold breezy winter days, with the exception of tweeds nothing I believe keeps you more comfortable.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OJ001
I've always believe the attitude of a sportcoat depends more on the cut and less on the particular fabric. Corduroy sportcoat cuts are usually American country, English country or Academic. Most people today don't want to look like a stuffy university professor. Check out the more modern slimmer silhouettes from the ralph lauren website. Pay attention to the wale size. I have a couple from ralph lauren and one from donna karan. On those cold breezy winter days, with the exception of tweeds nothing I believe keeps you more comfortable.
Luthor20Kryptonite.jpg
Here's a quote from the Fedora Lounge that nicely captures the sentiment of wearing a corduroy suit, and the message it sends.
Originally Posted by Fletch
A film costumer picked this for a supervillain, to help outline the character visually for the mass culture. So we're kind of obligated to look at the message it sends. It bespeaks eccentricity, indulgence, and a bit of pretentiousness. The casual fabric plus the formal tailoring, along with Luthor's bald head of course, are meant to create unease and underscore the idea that Luthor is out of balance and at odds with society. Ask yourself: Could Clark Kent wear this? Of course not. He's the ultimate good guy. Mild-mannered Kansas-raised superheroes don't send out cross-messages with their clothes. Especially not if they have space-age circus outfits underneath. This is an outfit that makes a statement. The statement is "Go to hell, world," in a hissy whisper that not everyone will hear but anyone can (subliminally) understand. (In addition to everything else - the damn thing is brown.) There are very few places you could wear this without coming off a little snooty, altho unless you're (say) George Soros*, no one is going to think you are bent on world domination. *George Soros is not a supervillain, or at least not obvious enough about it to wear a 3pc corduroy suit.
On some level, we -- the members of SF, that is -- are narcissists in that we're on a site discussing vain indulgences that are quite superficial in nature. So, it is no wonder that an outfit such as a corduroy suit would be popular with this crowd.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads