Corduroy Sportcoat/Jacket--How to Wear?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kaxixi, Mar 21, 2008.

1. kaxixi

kaxixi Senior member

Are corduroy jackets strictly casual? I am having trouble picturing one with even a nice pair of chinos. Thoughts?

2. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Are corduroy jackets strictly casual? I am having trouble picturing one with even a nice pair of chinos. Thoughts?

Jeans?

What color one do you own, if you own one?

I am not a fan of them, like the corduroy pants though.

3. kaxixi

kaxixi Senior member

I don't own any yet, but JCrew clears 'em out on occasion (currently in Navy and Chocolate Brown).

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

They go with anything up to about wool flannel. Best of all is a corduroy suit.

I would not worry at all about pairing it with cotton trousers. Just fine.

5. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

I don't own any yet, but JCrew clears 'em out on occasion (currently in Navy and Chocolate Brown).

I am not a fan of corduroy suits with the possible exception of one in a brilliant color like orange which would be hip for play time. I dont know why anyone would want a corduroy suit but they do have a following and theyre alright, I suppose.

6. Conrad

Conrad Senior member

Don't buy one and if one is given to you take it to the local thrift store and hang it on the rack.

To me a corduroy jacket paired with anything but a pair of heavy wool pants, an OCBD, and sported by a man without a PhD in physics screams "douchebag".

However, if pulled off correctly it will scream "late 1970's man", which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

7. morse

morse Well-Known Member

It's a great combination with textures- pair it with flannels, an OCBD, suede shoes, and a knit tie.

8. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

To me a corduroy jacket paired with anything but a pair of heavy wool pants, an OCBD, and sported by a man without a PhD in physics screams "douchebag".
    [​IMG]

9. Brad

Brad Senior member

I tried to find a still photo of Lebron before the Cavs/Pistons game the other night but I couldn't. He was wearing a corduroy sportcoat with a shetland v-neck, OCBD, tie, and jeans. The dude almost always looks cool and that night was no exception.

10. Conrad

Conrad Senior member

I don't know if you were posting that as an exception or an example, but that picture to me is the epitome of my second statement.

That screams late 1970's man. . .

You could get away with that in a bar around my house since people would just consider you "out of touch".

corduroy blazer with jeans, a ballcap, a rugby shirt, typical "frat boy" stuff is liable to get you beaten.

11. gumercindo

gumercindo Senior member

i think cord jackets are best worn with jeans.

12. Roger

Roger Senior member

Don't buy one and if one is given to you take it to the local thrift store and hang it on the rack.

However, if pulled off correctly it will scream "late 1970's man", which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Sure can't agree with much of this. To me, a well-made corduroy jacket (from Isaia, Kiton, Borrelli, or some less-expensive lines) that is of canvas construction and stylishly-tailored looks very cool with less dressy wool trousers (tweeds, cavalry twills, flannels) or nice cotton ones, a textured shirt and textured tie (or without the tie). I don't care for the cheap, throw-it-on-a-chair cord jackets; they're usually shapeless and cheesy-looking. But a nice one is definitely not merely "late-70s." I can understand the PhD reference, but would state this differently--to stress that a nice corduroy jacket conjures up an educated and perhaps intellectually-astute man.[​IMG]

13. trailer36

trailer36 Senior member

I would also agree that a crod sportcoat paired with chinos would look fine.

14. kaxixi

kaxixi Senior member

Oh, man, forget it. I'm working toward a PhD (though not in Physics)...

15. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

Personally, I love corduroy sport coats.

Someone at Styleforum had made a comment on Lex Luthor and his corduroy sport coat. Sadly, I can't seem to be able to find it.

[​IMG]