• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True,but this does make me think of an old Confucius proverb; He who farts in Church sits in his own pew.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The chairs will go with our Prouvé walnut dining table (black base). The Prouvé Standard chair is obviously in play - but feels a little bit too much like school seating. Also considering various Carl Hansen and Finn Juhl designs. The shortlist as it stands is made up of these View attachment 1566030
Am I missing any great options? We already have some of the series seven counter chairs and don’t want to match with those

R-O-T

Somewhere between the standard chair and those Danish designs is this risom side chair:

Bronze Age Sartorial

Reaction score
(If Kierkegaard knew this word, and had access to my poasts, it would have freed him from his troubles).

You strike me as one of those individuals who tries to weave Nietzsche into every conversation @ cocktail parties in some feeble attempt to dissuade others from snapping their fingers & ordering you to fetch them another Scotch.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You strike me as one of those individuals who tries to weave Nietzsche into every conversation @ cocktail parties in some feeble attempt to dissuade others from snapping their fingers & ordering you to fetch them another Scotch.

Yes, I do attempt to weave Nietzsche into every conversation at cocktail parties, but this is a merely ploy to increase my tips.

You strike me as the sort of fellow who discusses what color ascot he wore to Alberto Ascari's funereal (get it? you mixed up morning dress with mourning dress cos you're an iGENT, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH).

See, I'm real fun at parties.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
anybody try a bench at the dinner table? i think we will end up doing this, either freestanding on one side or a built-in that wraps into two sides (although i am allergic to the idea of building-in lately)

We're doing a built-in dining room bench in our renovation. It's flanked on both sides by floor-to-ceiling towers with side-mounted sconces that frame a window set. I wasn't super thrilled with the idea initially, but it lends a ton of storage and, living in a narrower home, provides maximum flexibility for the space.

FWIW our carpenter is adding a jog to the bench so that it's easier to enter and exit/you don't feel glued between the table and windows. I'll let you know how it turns out in a few months.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, I do attempt to weave Nietzsche into every conversation at cocktail parties, but this is a merely ploy to increase my tips.

You strike me as the sort of fellow who discusses what color ascot he wore to Alberto Ascari's funereal (get it? you mixed up morning dress with mourning dress cos you're an iGENT, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH).

See, I'm real fun at parties.

I wrote my college thesis on Nietzsche.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you saw God get up from a subway seat, would you sit in it? (for the sake of argument let's assume god does not take the form of a beautiful woman)

Your premise does not follow logically in your hypo. In this scenario, God is a deranged bum coming at you with a shank. Do you let God kill you, or do you kill God? He smells like rotten eggs.

Last edited:

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For even though in Nietzsche God' death is a fait accompli, there is the nagging question of whether or not this is a good thing. We need to go back and see WHY WE KILLED GOD. Would we do it again if we had the chance?

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a weird fit in the thread. I'm in favor of killing god. Now we are free to show each other our credenzas without shame!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads