• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yet this happens virtually every time.

You pick out some design item, extoll it’s virtues, people disagree on various points and thus another SF saga has been created.

Fwiw, the sets you pointed out are what you end up with when creating luxury utility versions of what are usually pure utility designs. They look a lot like the stuff they used in the army, or indeed for kids. Why? Because for those sets they used brittle metal and they where designed to still be abused, hence no slender necks or curvature. Which makes the ones you picked a bit weird. Why the need for a sturdy design when working with what I presume is higher end metal. Why not use the properties of the material and do away with the excess, reduce it to the lines needed for exquisite food handling.

Which makes me think, any maker using titanium to build very slender cutlery? That would be something I guess.

Oh, and i have looked into this rabbit hole. In normal times we entertain guests almost twice a week, and both of us love to cook multi course meals. It’s a toolset we use extensively daily, and appreciate an extensive set (steak knives, fish knives and forks, etc.)
I just haven’t seen any worthwhile upgrade from what we’ve got, which is wmf.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Every Foo thread, ever: “I have thought long and hard, and considered every possible aspect of function and design, and arrived at the conclusion that X is the optimal solution. Thoughts?”

Someone else: “Eh.”

Foo: “Your lack of intelligence and taste is reflective of your poor breeding. Let me explain all the ways in which you are wrong in 10,000 words or more.”

With the recent addition of:

GeneralEmployer: <fapfapfap>

Last edited:

brokencycle

Reaction score
Yet this happens virtually every time.

You pick out some design item, extoll it’s virtues, people disagree on various points and thus another SF saga has been created.

Fwiw, the sets you pointed out are what you end up with when creating luxury utility versions of what are usually pure utility designs. They look a lot like the stuff they used in the army, or indeed for kids. Why? Because for those sets they used brittle metal and they where designed to still be abused, hence no slender necks or curvature. Which makes the ones you picked a bit weird. Why the need for a sturdy design when working with what I presume is higher end metal. Why not use the properties of the material and do away with the excess, reduce it to the lines needed for exquisite food handling.

Which makes me think, any maker using titanium to build very slender cutlery? That would be something I guess.

Oh, and i have looked into this rabbit hole. In normal times we entertain guests almost twice a week, and both of us love to cook multi course meals. It’s a toolset we use extensively daily, and appreciate an extensive set (steak knives, fish knives and forks, etc.)
I just haven’t seen any worthwhile upgrade from what we’ve got, which is wmf.

So you agree he is uniquely persecuted and everyone on styleforum is obsessed with him and out to get him?

Every Foo thread, ever: “I have thought long and hard, and considered every possible aspect of function and design, and arrived at the conclusion that X is the optimal solution.”

Someone else: “Eh.”

Foo: “Your lack of intelligence and taste is reflective of your poor breeding. Let me explain all the ways in which you are wrong in 10,000 words or more.”

With the recent addition of:

GeneralEmployer: <fapfapfap>

You're missing the part where he pretends to still be considering things and asks for people to weigh in. He's the real life version of the "change my mind" meme.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
You're missing the part where he pretends to still be considering things and asks for people to weigh in. He's the real life version of the "change my mind" meme.
Updated my post

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you. Precision is important, but I do like the GE bit. It gives it a bit of je ne sais quoi.

That is an awkward use of “je ne sais quoi”. Almost as if you don’t really know what it means, were stretching for an opportunity to use it, or both.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of these are actually fun. Most are not in my wheelhouse, although I appreciate the disconnect and celery ones.

emptym

Reaction score

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Last edited:

brokencycle

Reaction score
That is an awkward use of “je ne sais quoi”. Almost as if you don’t really know what it means, were stretching for an opportunity to use it, or both.

You're as wrong about language as you are flatware. If I were writing it without the phrase, I might have said, "I do like the GE bit. It gave it an amusing/humorous flair."

Definition of je ne sais quoi
: something (such as an appealing quality) that cannot be adequately described or expressed

noun French.
an indefinable, elusive quality, especially a pleasing one:

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
If we can get off the subject of creeping over hot women on public transport, I would like your thoughts on dining chairs

The chairs will go with our Prouvé walnut dining table (black base). The Prouvé Standard chair is obviously in play - but feels a little bit too much like school seating. Also considering various Carl Hansen and Finn Juhl designs. The shortlist as it stands is made up of these
AFD8D19D-8CC7-4EAC-A1FB-ECB91612CFB3.jpeg

Am I missing any great options? We already have some of the series seven counter chairs and don’t want to match with those

R-O-T

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You're as wrong about language as you are flatware. If I were writing it without the phrase, I might have said, "I do like the GE bit. It gave it an amusing/humorous flair."

Dude, your own references prove my point. Je ne sais quoi means to exude an extra “something” that is pleasant and nice, maybe a bit mysterious, but which is hard to put your finger on. It has nothing to do with being humorous or even amusing, which are for more tangible and specific qualities. Like I said, an awkward usage. And now I see why.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads