• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As a child of the '70s, I mostly see the glassware our parents had. That doesn't make them bad, of course. I generally like clear glass for everyday stuff, but the green is appealing.

Not surprising for Jasper Morrison. He often iterates on and refines archetypal, generic designs.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That Crystal Bohemia stuff ... can’t speak to quality, but the designs are not to my taste.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also have a hard time wirh colored glasswares, not because I don't like them (I sometimes do), but because they remind me of dated homes I saw as a child.

Generally prefer clean cut sharp lined Baccarat ala the Rotary collection.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your everyday drinking glasses are crystal? I always feel like I have to be slightly more careful with our crystal (which is just basic Waterford stuff) and I was told not to put them in the dishwasher, which is also a PITA.
Pretty much, yeah. There are some exceptions, I keep a 1 liter beer jug around for hot days, I dislike walking several times before my thirst is quenched. And there’s a set of 4 stemless wineglass from Fuente out of the fuente store in Las Vegas we got as a gift. We use those for a lot of things as well.

the dishwasher thing, they could chip. It depends on the manufacturer.I had a set of tumblers out of England from some high end factory, they chipped like hell and have not made the cut in our latest move. The Bohemia stuff holds up well. We do use those high gloss dishwasher tablets though.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I like the way those look, Foo, although the green is a little too on the nose for the '70s reference for my taste. They're a little less flexible than clear, but that's not a problem if you have a single design of tableware (as most of us do these days) or if they go with everything you own.

Speaking of which, anyone interested in a 10 place set of Lennox china in Cobalt Federal?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the way those look, Foo, although the green is a little too on the nose for the '70s reference for my taste. They're a little less flexible than clear, but that's not a problem if you have a single design of tableware (as most of us do these days) or if they go with everything you own.

Speaking of which, anyone interested in a 10 place set of Lennox china in Cobalt Federal?
Are you giving or selling? ?

kasper007

Reaction score
On the topic of armchairs, anyone has experience with Modernica? Especially with non-fiberglass / Eames product? We just bought a cottage and the Papa Bear chair would really look perfect in front of the fireplace (and i've been wanting it since like forever). Just got a quote and even after a healthy discount, it's almost $25K with the ottoman. My uncle bought one of those in 2011 and paid around $10K so i'm a bit taken aback by the price inflation. Sadly and despite my best efforts at mental gymnastics, there is just no way I can justify paying so much for a chair, let alone convince my wife so I thought I would look at repros. The Rove Concepts of the world just do a sub-par product that I could never live with, but interested in the version that Modernica makes. I know people rave about their HM repros, especially the fiberglass chairs, but was wondering about experience with other products. They only offer the Papa Bear in walnut also which is a bit annoying (i would want oak), but I guess it's something I could live with.

Also, anyone has experience with the Ro Lounge Chair from Fritz Hansen? It's a lot better priced a around $4K and the wife and I both really like the look, but my recollection of sitting in it was that it was pretty upright (I prefer a bit more of an angle). Currently living out COVID ~300 miles from the nearest DWR so I might not get the chance to try it out before Xmas and am a bit uneasy buying something I haven't recently tried.

brokencycle

Reaction score

I really like the Cobalt Federal.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the topic of armchairs, anyone has experience with Modernica? Especially with non-fiberglass / Eames product? We just bought a cottage and the Papa Bear chair would really look perfect in front of the fireplace (and i've been wanting it since like forever). Just got a quote and even after a healthy discount, it's almost $25K with the ottoman. My uncle bought one of those in 2011 and paid around $10K so i'm a bit taken aback by the price inflation. Sadly and despite my best efforts at mental gymnastics, there is just no way I can justify paying so much for a chair, let alone convince my wife so I thought I would look at repros. The Rove Concepts of the world just do a sub-par product that I could never live with, but interested in the version that Modernica makes. I know people rave about their HM repros, especially the fiberglass chairs, but was wondering about experience with other products. They only offer the Papa Bear in walnut also which is a bit annoying (i would want oak), but I guess it's something I could live with.

Also, anyone has experience with the Ro Lounge Chair from Fritz Hansen? It's a lot better priced a around $4K and the wife and I both really like the look, but my recollection of sitting in it was that it was pretty upright (I prefer a bit more of an angle). Currently living out COVID ~300 miles from the nearest DWR so I might not get the chance to try it out before Xmas and am a bit uneasy buying something I haven't recently tried.
Modernica are good, across the board. I would definitely recommend Modenica over Rove, etc. The Modernica work is fabricated in-house, so the qc is high. In fact they no longer offer steel frames for their "Split Rail" loveseats and sofas, because they were outsourcing the steel frames...too bad, as the "Split Rail" steel frames were far more beautiful than the wood frames. Modernica have been around for decades, and are still going strong, not bad at all in their niche. No real worries at all.

No real sitting experience in the Ro, sorry.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
It’s a gorgeous pattern, but we’ve spent 25 years asking ourselves what we were thinking. It was probably my idea, most of the bad ideas around here are.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To each their own, round #12,778.

The Iitala / Jasper Morrison Raami are not special imo, more like jam jars trying to be refined and failing at it (as Morrison often does), drawing too much attention, looking more dime-store 1960’s/'70's USA “party-ware” than elegant. The colors are very deep and a bit harsh, and so often look at odds with other table components.

The Kaj Franck Kartio @soender posted are far more beautiful; the lines are sublime and the colors much more subtle. I am personally not a fan of dark green glass, but the Kartio green is more interesting the Raami green. Likewise for the blue.

To me the most beautiful Iitala glasses are still the classic Aino Aalto. The design is great, and the colors feel the most subtle of all three, maybe as a result of the banding/reflections. We own both Kartio and Aino. The Aino lines and colors really shimmer when in use; it is a beautiful effect.

Still, for Iitala I think clear is the most beautiful color, even though the Aino and Kartio grey, rain, sea blue, and water green can be great while still subtle in the right context. For colored glassware though I think the more current and minimal designers from Venezia do it better. Partially this is also because the glassware is not as heavy, both a good and more dangerous thing. But, the colors are fantastic.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
? A real tragedy, and great loss.

Resta In Pace Enzo Mari, one of the greatest 20th century designers, and his partner Lea Vergine.
They were not apart long, less than one day, and are again surely sitting together and discussing design, in all their charm and elegance and intelligence and love, now in Heaven.

Enzo Mari_01.jpeg

Enzo Mari: 27 April 1932 – 19 October 2020.
Complications from Covid-19.

Lea Vergine_libri.jpeg

Lea Vergine: 5 March 1936 – 20 October 2020.
Complications from Covid-19.

Enzo Mari_02_Lea Vergine.jpg

ELIMINARE IL SUPERFLUO PER RITROVARE L’ESSENZIALE.
ELIMINATE THE SUPERFLUOUS TO REDISCOVER THE ESSENTIAL.

Enzo Mari_03.jpg

Various chairs.

Enzo Mari_04 puzzle 16 animali.jpg

"16 animali" puzzle.

Enzo Mari_05_tagliacarte Ameland.jpg

"Ameland" double-edged paper knife / letter opener.

Enzo Mari_06_vasi resina.jpg

Resin vases.

Mari La Mama Le Creuset.jpg

Enameled cast-iron cookware "La Mama" for Le Creuset.

Enzo Mari_07_calendario perpetuale.jpg

Perpetual calendar, now truly forever.

Last edited:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
We do too, for so long.
It has been used on many book pages and letters, and still is perfect. It is indeed great, as he was great. Few have imbued essential minimalism with the special spirit (life) that Mari did, constantly.

Mari designed 3 knives/openers for Danese, all based on using a single length of shaped steel, then bent/folded or curved.

The first, "Benbecula", he designed in 1961.
The "Ameland" is from 1962.
Then he designed the "Giglio" in 1985 (re-issue 2019).
Of the three, I prefer the "Amelend".

Mari Benbecula_1961.jpg

Enzo Mari for Danese Milano, "Benbecula" paper knife/letter opener, 1961.

Mari_ Ameland_1962.jpg

Enzo Mari for Danese Milano, "Ameland" paper knife/letter opener, 1962.

Mari_Giglio_01_1985.jpg

Enzo Mari for Danese Milano, "Giglio" paper knife/letter opener, 1985.

Mari_ Benbecula, Ameland, Giglio.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads