• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The advantage of a uniform width is that you can grab the handle anywhere and still get the same level of stability and grip.

Or: A uniform width will suit a particular size hand, whereas a tapered handle will provide different widths that might be comfortable to many different hands at different points along the handle.

Last I was in Kyoto I was measured for chopsticks to bring home, and I got different sizes for my wife and I. In the case of uniform handle flatware, they will either feel better to her or I in all cases, whereas each of us might to different points of a taper.

Mr_Finland

Reaction score
I am a big fan of Made by Choice. A Finnish furniture producer.

Here is their Kolho collection by the artist Matthew Day Jackson :

This is their Goma chair by Thomas Sandell :

MbC_Sandell_GOMA_loungechair_red_P1310710 (1).png

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ronald-mcdonald-behind-the-scenes.jpg
Edit: edit: chairs back. Sad Ronald is relevant again.

Last edited:

Basil Hawkins

Reaction score
brokencycle said:
I agree. My point was just that the higher the value of goods the higher the profitability, generally. Hermes has much higher margins than Ralph Lauren.
This is not true. It depends a lot on amount of time spent/required making it. Cost of some premium materials, country it is being manufactured in, the number of products manufactured.

Mass manufactured yet expensive items may still have a high profit margin. But items manufactured in small quantities have higher overheads/unit. which means margins may not be that high.

I-phones are ridiculously profitable but think about this, Buggatti's parent company [Volkswagen] loses money on every unitut of Chiron it sells.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The highest end Luxury goods are often pretty modest in respect to margin. The input costs are higher and the scale is considerably smaller.

The mid range is where the margin is.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flatware is the loneliest hobby.

I didn't even realize flatware could be a hobby. Not to get into a long philosophical debate about it (you and @ValidusLA have that well covered), but I don't like any of those flatware sets. I agree with whomever said they remind him of mess hall or dormitory utensils. Of course, I don't care for the vast majority of furniture and other stuff posted here--mid century modern or contemporary or whatever it might technically be called--I'm not particularly well-versed in design or architecture--is just not appealing to me at all. But, the discussions are usually somewhat interesting and every once in a while something I really like pops up. I don't have any real logically-presented or well refined-argument. I just don't like the way it looks, which is the first threshold criterion for me. Heritage and everything else takes a backseat to aesthetics.

Last I was in Kyoto I was measured for chopsticks to bring home

Bespoke chopsticks? I need to get on your level.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
How many thousands of words have we been subjected to in justification of an aesthetic that really could have been summed up with, "I have undiagnosed OCD."

brokencycle

Reaction score
This is not true. It depends a lot on amount of time spent/required making it. Cost of some premium materials, country it is being manufactured in, the number of products manufactured.

Mass manufactured yet expensive items may still have a high profit margin. But items manufactured in small quantities have higher overheads/unit. which means margins may not be that high.

I-phones are ridiculously profitable but think about this, Buggatti's parent company [Volkswagen] loses money on every unitut of Chiron it sells.

How old is this post you just quoted? And it is true.

Obviously things sold at higher prices but have lower costs have higher margins. That's the definition of profit margin. The fact of the matter is that if you look at Hermes's gross profit, it is higher than Ralph Lauren's (or commodity clothing brands').

iPhones are the premium product in the phone world. As for Buggatti, most reports are that Bugatti sells the Chiron at a profit despite initial rumors it wouldn't. The Buggatti company is intermittently profitable, but that's not the point. The cars themselves are almost certainly high gross profit, but the company Bugatti gets a lot of R&D costs loaded into which drives down the total business EBITDA/net earnings. The rest of the VW family benefits from those developments, so it isn't an apples to apples comparison.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Elegance starts with the mind, not the eye. Now I see where the problem lies.
One is reminded of the great 17-year-old SF laureate, MM1234 who distilled his ethos thusly: "I do not wish to look down on them. I only want them to look up."

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have little concern for whether anything I like or do attracts anyone else’s attention. That is to say, exactly zero concern.

23,000 posts and at least 500,000 words on a men's fashion website beg to differ.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

248E1DF5-C9F4-405B-A743-FEF5F38A36C8.jpeg

If you are a straight male and this isn’t true for you, maybe you are at least somewhat less straight than you thought.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
23,000 posts and at least 500,000 words on a men's fashion website beg to differ.

In your experience, do people only speak and socialize to attract attention? Sounds like a pretty vapid existence to me.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads