• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering that most mass market retailers (Pottery Barn) charge about $100 per pillow, $250+ to get exactly what you want in a high end fabric seems somewhat reasonable.

On another note, anyone have built-in minibar inspo? No water hookup but I have about an 80” nook behind a dining table I may want to fill with a custom built in.

Also looking for wooden king size bed recs that have room for storage underneath. At this point I might just buy another Thuma bed. With the new wooden headboard, it checks all the boxes.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dovetail orientation, spacing, and pitch on Foo's credenza make sense structurally, and because they make sense structurally, they also make sense aesthetically.

Stress on casework tends to be ↕️ so you want the tails on the sides of the case because they contain the angle that resists ↕️ strain. Tighter spacing toward the front/back of the case helps resist cupping. The dovetail pitch is traditionally based on the hardness/softness of the wood. General rule of thumb: 1:6 pitch for soft woods, 1:8 pitch for hard woods. Teak is hard, so a steeper pitch is appropriate.

Most of us don't load our wooden boxes onto ships and stagecoaches to cross to cross the stormy seas and bumpy prairies anymore, and so the demands on casework joinery are less intense than they used to be. Most of these choices are aesthetic these days, but it's important to know what's going on when you're making stuff.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
75A3537E-27B1-41AA-93A8-9415922FEAA6.jpeg

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can barely believe I managed to get this done before school was over but my latest creation, the chest of drawers (bureau?) Minus, is completed and worked out more or less as I had hoped. I'll be applying with it to a few different exhibitions, so here's the translated version of a text I've already written for it to cover most aspects of the idea and creation:

If everything but the most important of a drawer is stripped away, what's left?

No top surface to clutter, no panels to hide the inner workings, no legs that steal floor space.

In their place a simple frame, enclosing the absence of what once was.

Left floating mid-air only simple boxes remain, asking the question: What am I?

DSCF5081.jpg
1.jpg

DSCF5028.jpg
DSCF5064.jpg

DSCF5034.jpg
DSCF5066.jpg
DSCF5043.jpg

Failed experiments are atleast as educational as successful ones. In my case a scrapped design led to wanting to create a piece of storage furniture utilizing internally placed suspension of drawers rather than the classic external kind, not just for function but for aestethics sake.

The advantage of an internal mounting design is primarily the fact that if rails/grooves are placed on the inside rather than outside, there's no longer a need for an external frame to keep the box in place.

Continuing on this thought of subtraction and to some degree deconstruction, a concept took shape applying this same principle to both individual components and the piece as a whole. How much can you strip away from the classic aestethics of a piece of furniture without losing its essence, and how far can you go if the goal IS to shake up that essence?

The result is my deconstructed and seemingly "impossible" chest of drawers:
Minus. The proportions of the piece paired with spacers and common hardware store components, enable a suspension invisible from most angles, giving the apperance (especially in person) that the boxes are levitating in the air.

The boxes are made up of blockboards I've made myself, with a gluejointed core and veneers on both sides for dimensional stability. The blockboards, the frame and the rest of the wooden components are all made of birch and treated with hardwax oil. The wood combines with a 4mm steelsheet that has been watercut and recessed into the back of the frame, carrying both the whole construction and the illusion.

Unfortunately it's very hard to capture the levitating/floating aspect digitally, but if you enjoyed the pictures above there's a whole bunch more spoilered below, as well as a short ~40second video I took of the cabinet outside. I hope you've enjoyed reading this and that you'll like my creation :thumbs-up:

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Done! Initial low res pics from the maker (Kylle Sebree) below.

A1FAA471-315A-44D0-A708-9C014B04498C.jpeg

B39AD562-0E54-42F8-976E-4083CCA8F07B.jpeg

2B946028-D190-4B14-9C68-E4E06995997D.jpeg

Tweaked based on one of Kylle’s existing designs. We lengthened the proportions, swapped the flag cord for cane, and used Burmese teak instead of the standard walnut or oak. The dark splotches in the teak will fade with continued light exposure.

Here’s an example of an unmodified version of his original design in walnut:

46E269EB-9B66-4809-8426-430AC5D515CF.jpeg

Inspiration for the changes came from Hans Wegner’s RY-26 credenza:

444E4734-C05C-4B52-A742-C2E841895730.jpeg

Gorgeous piece but no longer in production. I’m no vintage romanticist and the cost of a teak version in top condition would have been comparable to what it cost to pay Kylle to build what I ultimately specified.

But more importantly, I think Kylle’s credenza is just downright better in terms of proportions, details, and certainly craftsmanship. For example, as you’ve seen, Kylle uses dovetails at the corners. There are also mitered edges thoughtfully placed and the even the back is fully made up. I will get photos to show. In comparison, the back of the RY-26, which was built and sold as a high end piece, is simply nailed or screwed on. Also, I much prefer the floating base/legs that Kylle uses.

Anyway, the idea wasn’t to clone the RY-26, but to build a version of Kylle’s work using some details and materials inspired by it. Hopefully we succeeded!

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Done! Initial low res pics from the maker (Kylle Sebree) below.

View attachment 1983949
View attachment 1983951
View attachment 1983953

Tweaked based on one of Kylle’s existing designs. We lengthened the proportions, swapped the flag cord for cane, and used Burmese teak instead of the standard walnut or oak. The dark splotches in the teak will fade with continued light exposure.

Here’s an example of an unmodified version of his original design in walnut:

View attachment 1984003

Inspiration for the changes came from Hans Wegner’s RY-26 credenza:

View attachment 1984005

Gorgeous piece but no longer in production. I’m no vintage romanticist and the cost of a teak version in top condition would have been comparable to what it cost to pay Kylle to build what I ultimately specified.

But more importantly, I think Kylle’s credenza is just downright better in terms of proportions, details, and certainly craftsmanship. For example, as you’ve seen, Kylle uses dovetails at the corners. There are also mitered edges thoughtfully placed and the even the back is fully made up. I will get photos to show. In comparison, the back of the RY-26, which was built and sold as a high end piece, is simply nailed or screwed on. Also, I much prefer the floating base/legs that Kylle uses.

Anyway, the idea wasn’t to clone the RY-26, but to build a version of Kylle’s work using some details and materials inspired by it. Hopefully we succeeded!
Congratz! This is a beauty!

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks great @TheFoo. Should be a versatile design.

Please post pics once you have it at home.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That is beautiful. A really good example of exactly when you should go with a contemporary artisan over vintage.

Interestingly, the vintage piece in question turns out to be teak veneer over an oak frame. I had always assumed it was solid teak. See pic:

A89BF5A7-54BD-4E45-B75F-D00854BD156E.jpeg

While I understand that veneers are a legitimate choice in good furniture, in this case it looks like it was just a matter of cost cutting. The oak frame is solid wood, not ply, and oak is a less stable wood than teak. So, there is no advantage in stability. It was just cheaper to use mostly oak than all teak.

Folks tend to talk about how things were done better back whenever, but seems it’s often just nostalgia at work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads