• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Came across these Navajo rugs/blankets in a small town antique store last week. I like them both but didn't buy them because I do not know enough about these blankets to be dangerous even, but they certainly caught my eye.

IIRC, someone here might be able to say if they look legit?

Shop asking for the small one w some corner damage was around $2k, large one around $5k fwiw. Too much $$ to take a flyer on.

20220810_135036.jpg

20220810_135007.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paging @Gus 🙂

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in jackson hole once and I saw one of these for like $100

I asked the store owner who makes them and he said "the indians make all of these"

so I bought it and on the plane ride home noticed the "made in india" tag

I guess he wasnt lying

if you all haven't seen this run out and rent it now

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Came across these Navajo rugs/blankets in a small town antique store last week. I like them both but didn't buy them because I do not know enough about these blankets to be dangerous even, but they certainly caught my eye.

IIRC, someone here might be able to say if they look legit?

Shop asking for the small one w some corner damage was around $2k, large one around $5k fwiw. Too much $$ to take a flyer on.

View attachment 1823249
View attachment 1823251

I have been collecting early/vintage Navajo weavings for a number of years. I now live in Santa Fe, NM so I see some of the finest examples available and regularly visit the galleries, auction house and antique dealers in the area.

Prices of weavings vary greatly depending upon age, condition and design. A quality dealer/gallery will only sell rugs that have been professionally washed and repaired. If they haven't been pro cleaned you need to factor that into the cost and realize that you might have to send it away for several months. Rugs that need work and cleaning must be discounted significantly.

The small one, has a common, attractive classic color combination and pattern seen from roughly the 1930's to 1950's. It has significant damage with a corner missing and has dirt so to get it repaired/rewoven and washed would probably cost $350-$450 as the reweaving is so time consuming. IIRC, washing alone is around $12-15 a sf. I wouldn't buy it because even fully restored and washed it's value might be around $650-$800 and there are many similar options in size and color on the market at anytime in good condition. However, earlier rugs in this size but with more unusual patterns can go for as much as $2,000-$5,000 but that would be getting into "historic period" where there are fewer examples with differences in wool, patterns, etc. that enhance their value.

The larger rug, it is hard for me to tell the value without knowing it's size and seeing a close up of the condition. However, I would guess it is the same era as the smaller one with the common colors and designs of that period. I do see some bleeding of color which a pro, experienced washing/restoration person can often remove during a special wash. Taking a guess and based upon the recent auction here in Santa Fe, if the rug was washed and in very good condition it might sell for $2,500-$3,500.

You can get more information on washing and repairing vintage Navajo rugs: Enver From Denver (He does many of the repairs and washing for Ralph Lauren's personal collection and for top galleries here in Santa Fe) https://enverfromdenver.com I've used Enver a number of times with excellent results. You can also follow him on Instagram which shows interesting repair work with before and after shots.
I also highly recommend Rufus at Textival in Albuquereque https://textival.com ( second generation restoration and washing) great guy, and a go-to for the top, rug galleries for repairs and washing. He is currently washing a few of our rugs. Follow him on IG as well for informative pics of major repairs. You can't go wrong with either Enver or Rufus and they both handle vintage Persian rugs and contemporary rugs as well.

If you have any more questions about Navajo weavings, where to buy, values, etc., feel free to ask. I have so enjoyed collecting them and learning more about their history.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been collecting early/vintage Navajo weavings for a number of years. I now live in Santa Fe, NM so I see some of the finest examples available and regularly visit the galleries, auction house and antique dealers in the area.

Prices of weavings vary greatly depending upon age, condition and design. A quality dealer/gallery will only sell rugs that have been professionally washed and repaired. If they haven't been pro cleaned you need to factor that into the cost and realize that you might have to send it away for several months. Rugs that need work and cleaning must be discounted significantly.

The small one, has a common, attractive classic color combination and pattern seen from roughly the 1930's to 1950's. It has significant damage with a corner missing and has dirt so to get it repaired/rewoven and washed would probably cost $350-$450 as the reweaving is so time consuming. IIRC, washing alone is around $12-15 a sf. I wouldn't buy it because even fully restored and washed it's value might be around $650-$800 and there are many similar options in size and color on the market at anytime in good condition. However, earlier rugs in this size but with more unusual patterns can go for as much as $2,000-$5,000 but that would be getting into "historic period" where there are fewer examples with differences in wool, patterns, etc. that enhance their value.

The larger rug, it is hard for me to tell the value without knowing it's size and seeing a close up of the condition. However, I would guess it is the same era as the smaller one with the common colors and designs of that period. I do see some bleeding of color which a pro, experienced washing/restoration person can often remove during a special wash. Taking a guess and based upon the recent auction here in Santa Fe, if the rug was washed and in very good condition it might sell for $2,500-$3,500.

You can get more information on washing and repairing vintage Navajo rugs: Enver From Denver (He does many of the repairs and washing for Ralph Lauren's personal collection and for top galleries here in Santa Fe) https://enverfromdenver.com I've used Enver a number of times with excellent results. You can also follow him on Instagram which shows interesting repair work with before and after shots.
I also highly recommend Rufus at Textival in Albuquereque https://textival.com ( second generation restoration and washing) great guy, and a go-to for the top, rug galleries for repairs and washing. He is currently washing a few of our rugs. Follow him on IG as well for informative pics of major repairs. You can't go wrong with either Enver or Rufus and they both handle vintage Persian rugs and contemporary rugs as well.

If you have any more questions about Navajo weavings, where to buy, values, etc., feel free to ask. I have so enjoyed collecting them and learning more about their history.
Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts on this one, some great insights and suggestions that are much appreciated. From what little I have read about Navajo weavings I am already intrigued, probably just a matter of time now before I work my way up to actually acquire one. The history and handmade nature of them, alongside the beautiful designs and display ability makes for a great combination.

Thanks for your willingness to help on the market pulse, will definately be in touch if the time comes to enter the ring.

Side note on this pair, they came out of an Estate in Northern MI. Story was that the owner was a Dr. who practiced among the Navajo out west for a time and had accumulated many weavings. The kids who inherited his house wanted none of the contents and it was all bought out by the owner of this antique store.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts on this one, some great insights and suggestions that are much appreciated. From what little I have read about Navajo weavings I am already intrigued, probably just a matter of time now before I work my way up to actually acquire one. The history and handmade nature of them, alongside the beautiful designs and display ability makes for a great combination.

Thanks for your willingness to help on the market pulse, will definately be in touch if the time comes to enter the ring.

Side note on this pair, they came out of an Estate in Northern MI. Story was that the owner was a Dr. who practiced among the Navajo out west for a time and had accumulated many weavings. The kids who inherited his house wanted none of the contents and it was all bought out by the owner of this antique store.

Glad to help.There are some excellent videos on YouTube by Mark Sublette owner of Medicine Man Gallery where you can get a lot more information about how to spot fakes, rare blankets, the different periods, etc. His videos helped me a lot when I was getting started as well as reading several books and talking to dealers. The good dealers are happy to educate you and share their experience. Also, if you buy a nice rug in good condition you can always resell it. The more you know about rugs, the easier it is to spot a good deal, especially at flea markets where people are unaware of value and often let them go at prices well under the market. But flea markets are also the place where people misrepresent rugs and their value, so buyer beware.

I especially like vintage Navajo weavings in juxtaposition to Modern or MCM furniture. They were very popular in the 1920's-40's in Arts & Crafts style homes so I found quite a few that came out of old Oakland and Berkeley hills homes estate sales.

I would suggest you research and then decide what look and style you want to focus on. Some only buy contemporary weavers. We like 1890's-1930's using only natural colored wools. My neighbor has a museum quality collection of Germantown rugs named after the bright colored and commercially made and dyed Germantown yarns used by tribes and pueblos in certain parts of the Southwest. So there is much to choose from and enjoy. I hope you have as much fun as I have.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad to help.There are some excellent videos on YouTube by Mark Sublette owner of Medicine Man Gallery where you can get a lot more information about how to spot fakes, rare blankets, the different periods, etc. His videos helped me a lot when I was getting started as well as reading several books and talking to dealers. The good dealers are happy to educate you and share their experience. Also, if you buy a nice rug in good condition you can always resell it. The more you know about rugs, the easier it is to spot a good deal, especially at flea markets where people are unaware of value and often let them go at prices well under the market. But flea markets are also the place where people misrepresent rugs and their value, so buyer beware.

I especially like vintage Navajo weavings in juxtaposition to Modern or MCM furniture. They were very popular in the 1920's-40's in Arts & Crafts style homes so I found quite a few that came out of old Oakland and Berkeley hills homes estate sales.

I would suggest you research and then decide what look and style you want to focus on. Some only buy contemporary weavers. We like 1890's-1930's using only natural colored wools. My neighbor has a museum quality collection of Germantown rugs named after the bright colored and commercially made and dyed Germantown yarns used by tribes and pueblos in certain parts of the Southwest. So there is much to choose from and enjoy. I hope you have as much fun as I have.
Great advice, thank you very much! Digging in to some the content from Mark Sublette, super helpful and interesting so far.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been a while since I shared some of the stuff I'm doing, but the other day I finally got some decent pictures of this mixed media piece I built before the summer.

I call it "Perspectives".
DSCF9420.png

DSCF9422.jpg

DSCF9427-2.jpg

1661685848321.png

DSCF9423.png

(also working on a stool, so my next post will be closer to the regularly scheduled programming in here)

Last edited:

Usonian

Reaction score
Been a while since I shared some of the stuff I'm doing, but the other day I finally got some decent pictures of this mixed media piece I built before the summer.

I call it "Perspectives".

(also working on a stool, so my next post will be closer to the regularly scheduled programming in here)

wait were you the same dude with the sick chair / table combo where you inverted the structural characteristics of the materials? steel where would should have gone and wood where steel should have gone etc etc? Not gonna lie, I'm too lazy to look back, but that was great stuff, and this is also exciting.

I love the acknowledgment of the cord and plug as integral to the piece of art itself and would encourage you to check out the work of Sigurd Lewerentz and his general thinking towards material/utility (specifically the flower kiosk and the conduits there as pieces of art/design in themselves) I might say the red cord is a bit distracting as part of the whole composition, the details on the actual lamp are relatively delicate, and the cord feels a bit... much? maybe? but I'm honestly super jazzed on the whole thing in general, my critical thinking brain just kicked in for a second.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wait were you the same dude with the sick chair / table combo where you inverted the structural characteristics of the materials? steel where would should have gone and wood where steel should have gone etc etc? Not gonna lie, I'm too lazy to look back, but that was great stuff, and this is also exciting.

I love the acknowledgment of the cord and plug as integral to the piece of art itself and would encourage you to check out the work of Sigurd Lewerentz and his general thinking towards material/utility (specifically the flower kiosk and the conduits there as pieces of art/design in themselves) I might say the red cord is a bit distracting as part of the whole composition, the details on the actual lamp are relatively delicate, and the cord feels a bit... much? maybe? but I'm honestly super jazzed on the whole thing in general, my critical thinking brain just kicked in for a second.

Yep that was me, though coming back after the summer the seat has unfortunately curved upwards (probably a combination of moisture and the sideways pressure of how the seat was fitted) so I need to make new parts for it to be usable again lol. And being both a swede and studying in Sweden I'm both a big fan of and fairly familiar with Lewerentz, but there's definitely a lot more to learn still so that's a great recommendation.

I also appreciate the feedback and totally get where you're coming from. I realized that in most cases it wouldn't be possible to have an outlet situated right behind the piece, so rather than try to hide the cable and contact I tried making em a continuation of the whole image, almost like one of the painted cubes in 2D climbed out of the work and turned 3D while still being tethered to the "source". If there had been more time I might have looked into trying to achieve the same function with a thinner red cable, but as it was I just used materials that were readily available around me. This is also part of a continuing "series" of variations on the same general theme I'm exploring, so I think in context of my first one which also employed thick red lines in contrast to thin ones, the likewise thicker cable makes sense as a whole.

1661772577068.png

For now however I feel a bit done with the whole perspective/cube aspect and am instead playing around with a more flat/graphic approach to a similar use of colors and dimensions, will be sure to share as I develop it further into something I'm happy with.

Usonian

Reaction score
Yep that was me, though coming back after the summer the seat has unfortunately curved upwards (probably a combination of moisture and the sideways pressure of how the seat was fitted) so I need to make new parts for it to be usable again lol. And being both a swede and studying in Sweden I'm both a big fan of and fairly familiar with Lewerentz, but there's definitely a lot more to learn still so that's a great recommendation.

I also appreciate the feedback and totally get where you're coming from. I realized that in most cases it wouldn't be possible to have an outlet situated right behind the piece, so rather than try to hide the cable and contact I tried making em a continuation of the whole image, almost like one of the painted cubes in 2D climbed out of the work and turned 3D while still being tethered to the "source". If there had been more time I might have looked into trying to achieve the same function with a thinner red cable, but as it was I just used materials that were readily available around me. This is also part of a continuing "series" of variations on the same general theme I'm exploring, so I think in context of my first one which also employed thick red lines in contrast to thin ones, the likewise thicker cable makes sense as a whole.

For now however I feel a bit done with the whole perspective/cube aspect and am instead playing around with a more flat/graphic approach to a similar use of colors and dimensions, will be sure to share as I develop it further into something I'm happy with.

ahhh that's a bummer, hope you get it fixed! at the least, a great study in material application?

Glad you're already familiar with Lewerentz, definitely poke around his stuff! The Chapel of the Resurrection like... fucked me up in the best way possible... what an unbelievably well done building. The attention to details and experience is damn near unparalleled. Also St. Peters, really beautiful stuff, especially how he refused to cut any brick. It's a fascinating application, the walls there are just wild, the brick almost becomes aggregate within a concrete wall, rather than a brick wall itself, and the floor just feels so tactile, so connecting to the visitor.

I think the way you're thinking about it is great, what better way than to acknowledge real world limitations and turn them into art themselves. Either way it's great, especially if just made with what you already had! I hope you continue to explore this idea (even if it's beyond your perspectival series) because I also find it to be fascinating and would love to see how you continue exploring.

That being said, really excited to see the next stuff you post, cause it just seems to be winner after winner!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PSA for those in the NYC area who dig Blu Dot - they're selling floor samples - most seem to be 50% off. Pick up only, apparently.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads