• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Converting an SB into a DB?

MattJB

Reaction score
Short story: Title says it all - can an SB with too much extra material be converted into a DB and look half decent? (Yes, I kind of feel ridiculous even asking this question.)

Full story: My last suit was a custom and it fits great; however, do to their process and location, it's a pain every time I need to visit them (heavy traffic, not close to work or house) and they have it made overseas so the process takes a long time, especially when something gets mixed up. I recently found a local place about 15 minutes form my house (the guy/company travels, but it seems he's paired with a store as an easy meet up place for potential customers).

I called the store to ask about timelines and prices. The guy that runs the store convinced me to try his route; not custom (which is: he takes measurements, orders an OTR suit, checks fit, and covers all required alterations). Fast forward to the suit arriving 2 days before I was expecting to wear it (which is about 2.5 times longer than he told me it would take) I try it on and it seems pretty bit. He says no problem, we'll move the button, etc. and it will be fine, but there's no time to go to the tailor and have major alterations done.

My wife picks it up the next day, I try it on when I get home from work and it's still huge. Too much material in the back, can probably fit 2 fists under the breast, just looks like I'm a kid trying on his dads suit. He says bring it back, we'll visit the actual tailor and have it reconstructed as necessary...

I haven't visited him yet, but I tried it on again today to imagine just how in the hell a tailor can even make this look half decent. There's seriously enough material to overlap the front quarters by quite a bit. Which got me thinking; should I suggest having it converted into a DB in order to use up all the extra fabric? or is that just completely ridiculous, I'm off my rocker and will look like complete garbage (which I think there's a good chance it's going to end up looking like regardless - in which case, I'll either ask for my money back or ask him to order another suit based on the tailors recommendations and try again).

Thanks in advance!

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't recommend trying that. There's more going on with a DB jacket than just the front overlap (collar stuff, lapel stuff, shape of the front). If it fits that poorly, just get a refund or have it remade.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads