• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conducting Market Research on an Industry

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What would be the best way to go about conducting market research (necessary for a business plan) on the fashion/style industry?

I'm not really sure where to get started!

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Depends on the kind of research. Financial? Industry standards? Trends?

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:
Depends on the kind of research. Financial? Industry standards? Trends?

How about all the above!! I am looking into type of people buying, how many of those people there are, whether the group is growing or decreasing, stuff like that..

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Quote:

How about all the above!! I am looking into type of people buying, how many of those people there are, whether the group is growing or decreasing, stuff like that..

So you want demographics... not my area, sorry. If you wanted financials, I would start with Bloomberg, moodys, MSN Money, and a host of sites that report all kinds of data related to financials such as:

analyst estimates - MarketWatch
SEC filings - EDGAR Online
Major Holders - MSN
Research Reports - Reuters
Annual Reportz - AnnualReports.com

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Create a survey using a professional agency (or do it yourself, but make it look nice).

Send it to 1) professionals in the industry (unfortunately, you're going to need to mine their contact info yourself) and/or 2) normal, everyday people (a professional agency will usually be able to do this part)

Then get the data and analyze it.

This is one way of how a consulting firm I interned at performed market research.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you have access to some tools at work or school, public library would be the best place to start.

Talk to the reference librarian about industry reports - lean heavily on these folks, they know their stuff pretty well.

Add to that data from US Census Bureau, trade associations, etc. (this stuff you can just Google), and the stuff idfnl mentioned

That will give you a start. If you have a basic understanding of what you need for the business plan, you should be OK.

The survey is a good idea but hard to pull off if you don't have a budget or basic survey design/stats chops.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads