• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conan's first "Tonight Show!"

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
On DVR haven't watched it yet but i like conan a lot.

He's a very bright, educated guy.
Has a good sense of humor and writing (wrote some amazing simpsons episode and involved in the glory years of simpsons and good SNL years writing).
Is relatively young and pretty in touch with youth culture for his age.
Is great at improvising (his ad libbed in the field shorts are great and the episodes during the writer's strike where it was a lot of his own stuff were better than his normal writers).
Is able to appeal to lots of different fanbases and different levels.
Also, he's pretty decent on the guitar from the writer's strike episodes where he walked around the studio with a guitar annoying people and the episode where he played and sang rockabilly songs.

I wish they'd release the writer's strike episodes on a dvd or something. Was a nice change from the normal writers.

Did anyone else see the Inside the Actor's Studio interview with him? Really cool and funny interview. Worth a viewing for conan fans, or people who just like comedy insight.

edit: just from the opening monologue, he seems a tiny bit nervous/uncomfortable. Maybe it's just me though because it's a different set and everything. I'm sure things will become a lot more natural in a few months when everything is settled.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Did anyone else see the Inside the Actor's Studio interview with him? Really cool and funny interview. Worth a viewing for conan fans, or people who just like comedy insight.

I caught the last 20 minutes on my lunch break. Are these available on Hulu do you know?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Not bad so far. He seems a tiny bit off-kilter, which is only to be expected. It's probably all that extra space throwing him off.

-1. "I Am Mine" is a great song.

chronoaug

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
I caught the last 20 minutes on my lunch break. Are these available on Hulu do you know?

I'm sure you can find them on hulu or bravo's website. Also, there are always torrents if neither of those work. Most tv stations have stuff on their site though as they know people will illegally get it anyways and would rather have the traffic

Plsez2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
The opening segment was great.

Agreed and it was nice to see Andy there too.

His nervous clap tick was irritating me a lot, I never noticed him doing that before on his old show. Anyone else notice it?

bcate3

Reaction score

edit: just from the opening monologue, he seems a tiny bit nervous/uncomfortable. Maybe it's just me though because it's a different set and everything. I'm sure things will become a lot more natural in a few months when everything is settled.

I've only seen a handful of Conan's shows, but i think he's very funny. I too thought he seemed a bit nervous and more subdued last night. He didn't jump around to the final notes of the intro music and he only quicky did that hip/hand shaking move. He also largely played it straight with Will Ferrell. Maybe he's toning down his style for the gentler, core TS fans, or, as you suggested, he's waiting for the familiarity to set in before he does the full Conan.

chronoaug

Reaction score
Yea, moving to 1130 sucks because now you get all the lame tv critics who praise shows like two and a half men, fraiser, everybody loves raymond, yes dear, and more to review conan. Late night talk shows like that aren't meant to be nitpicked down to the finest details. It's a daily variety show and even at its worst will be 1000000x more entertaining than letterman/leno

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he'll be better than in his previous show which was becoming stale with the same lame bits and jokes.

The intro was great. The rest of the show, so so.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I fell asleep just as Will Farrell was being carried in by Egyptian slave men
facepalm.gif

I hope I'll be able to watch some of it on Hulu tonight.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's a daily variety show and even at its worst will be 1000000x more entertaining than letterman/leno

Generally agreed, but did you see Letterman's Joaquin Phoenix interview? Funniest interview, ever.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw it and thought it was good. I watched Conan pretty regularly in the Late Night slot and I'm psyched that I can watch him a little earlier now. I watched Leno too, but he was a lettle "meh."

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Generally agreed, but did you see Letterman's Joaquin Phoenix interview? OMFG. Funniest. Interview. Ever.

FTFY. You need to work you on your Gossip Girl speak. But I agree, and it was vintage Letterman.

Conan's first show was generally solid. He seems not to have changed, which is good. I think there were a couple too many pre-recorded bits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads