• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments on Alpha N-3B Parka?

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

auminesweeper

Reaction score
I have spoke to Alpha in the USA and these Parka's are factory Temp Rated
@ -20F/-28.888888C so please be very carefull on the use and figures you quote
because i would hate to see anyone get frostbite or worse,

No doubt if you layer your cloths it will serve you better and at lower temps so anything is possible if you are carefull just like the guys in the Antarctic etc

Last edited:

NormanF

Reaction score
I have spoke to Alpha in the USA and these Parka's are factory Temp Rated
@ -20F/-28.888888C so please be very carefull on the use and figures you quote
because i would hate to see anyone get frostbite or worse,

No doubt if you layer your cloths it will serve you better and at lower temps so anything is possible if you are carefull just like the guys in the Antarctic etc

I've had to take my Spiewak Golden Fleece N3B Parka to the dry cleaners to repair the top button. It snapped off when I accidentally pulled on a loose thread. The repair should make it more durable. Its rated to - 40F so it should be warm enough for most subzero conditions. The range can be extended with layers worn underneath the parka for better protection.

Last edited:

auminesweeper

Reaction score
G'day NormanF, that sounds like a nice jacket indeed, i was just thinking about buying a new normal Alpha N3B and here in the UK they have come down in price but they still charge around 220.00 dollars for them which is a bit steep, I wanted to buy the CG Expedition but it is around £650.00/988.00 dollars which is just crazy, i could buy a plane ticket and fly to the USA and buy one and still have change for that kind of money,
A month ago i bought the TNF Mcmurdo parka which is great but no matter what brand i still am loyal to the Alpha N3B, the weight and the hood extention it just seems perfect and it has been proven by the USAF in the Arctic circle and the best part its made in the
Good ole US of A and it dont get no better than that.

John

auminesweeper

Reaction score
According to Alpha, These Parka's have been made in Asia for many decades and that Knoxville is their distribution centre, so its no wonder i have seen fakes that are of simular quality

G'day NormanF, that sounds like a nice jacket indeed, i was just thinking about buying a new normal Alpha N3B and here in the UK they have come down in price but they still charge around 220.00 dollars for them which is a bit steep, I wanted to buy the CG Expedition but it is around £650.00/988.00 dollars which is just crazy, i could buy a plane ticket and fly to the USA and buy one and still have change for that kind of money,
A month ago i bought the TNF Mcmurdo parka which is great but no matter what brand i still am loyal to the Alpha N3B, the weight and the hood extention it just seems perfect and it has been proven by the USAF in the Arctic circle and the best part its made in the
Good ole US of A and it dont get no better than that.

John

NormanF

Reaction score
My Spiewak Golden Fleece N3B parka is wonderful garment to reach for on a cold night. When temperatures drop near zero, I feel comfortable when I put it on. Its the warmest coat the US government ever made for airmen, soldiers and sailors who have to serve under extreme cold weather conditions.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

An N3B parka is the warmest jacket ever made. It will keep you warm in temperatures down to minus 60 C. It was standard issue to US Air Force crews serving in the most extreme latitudes in the world.

I think the original US Airforce ones where OK. It's one those garments that many manufacturers make. Most of us might have had one at sometime in our lives. Just ask any British schoolboy in the '70s and ' 80s, brands like Lord Anthony, Campri, Keynote, and Brutus will no doubt be familiar to them. Many of them where just rubbish though, certainly not suitable for -60C, they'll keep you dry hopefully.
http://www.made-in-china.com/showro...mwBWTXtrI/China-Parka-Flight-Jacket-N3B-.html

Last edited:

Hungryhippo44

Reaction score
I am looking for an Alpha N-3B for this winter. I would love to buy USA made but I can't find the spiewalk anymore. Would like Navy Blue jacket or possibly green olive sage.

I'm a size 39 chest, 5'6, 160lb, 32 waist. Not sure if I should get Alpha or something else. If i get alpha do I get Small regular fit, small slim fit, or medium slim fit?

NormanF

Reaction score
amazon reviews said this thing wasn't that warm.

true/false?

False. Its plenty warm enough with the polyester batting. When worn as part of layered winter clothing system, it will do the job of keeping one warm in subzero temperatures.

In fact if you wear it above 30 F, you'll begin overheating. That's a measure of its effectiveness as a parka!

Last edited:

NormanF

Reaction score
bump.

Just bought a Spiewak n3b (http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/j-pia/item/spiewak-3471msz/?s-id=borderless_recommend_item_en)

When I received it I noticed that it wasnt a very thick jacket. Bit skeptical that it'll keep me right warm when its freezing out.

comments/thoughts anyone?

The batting is important. Without it, it wouldn't be a very warm jacket! You're probably thinking of the US Army M-65 Fishtail Parka which is NOT as warm. Now its not thick in construction like a down jacket - but the idea behind one shouldn't have to sacrifice mobility for warmth. A lighter jacket can be made warm, provided the lining of the jacket is made of the right materials.

NormanF

Reaction score
I am looking for an Alpha N-3B for this winter. I would love to buy USA made but I can't find the spiewalk anymore. Would like Navy Blue jacket or possibly green olive sage.

I'm a size 39 chest, 5'6, 160lb, 32 waist. Not sure if I should get Alpha or something else. If i get alpha do I get Small regular fit, small slim fit, or medium slim fit?

Golden Fleece Spiewak is sold only in Japan through Rakuten. It has real coyote fur and is USA made and the ones here are all imported from China with a fake coyote fur ruff which is not good in freezing cold.

I'm size 42, 5'7, 150 lb, 36 waist. I was outfitted by the Japanese retailer J-Pia for a size 40 which fit perfectly!

Japanese men are smaller in height than Western men so I was lucky to fit the right size parka!

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The batting is important. Without it, it wouldn't be a very warm jacket! You're probably thinking of the US Army  M-65 Fishtail Parka which is NOT as warm. Now its not thick in construction like a down jacket - but the idea behind one shouldn't have to sacrifice mobility for warmth. A lighter jacket can be made warm, provided the lining of the jacket is made of the right materials.

Indeed, the Spiewak Golden Fleece is crazy warm.

Golden Fleece Spiewak is sold only in Japan through Rakuten. It has real coyote fur and is USA made and the ones here are all imported from China with a fake coyote fur ruff which is not good in freezing cold.

A bit late, but I thought I'd chime in and say that this is false. I saw the Golden Fleece N-3B parka at Barney's last year. Epaulet in NYC and Need Supply in Richmond, VA carry Golden Fleece as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics