1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Comments on Alpha N-3B Parka?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by lektrix, Nov 14, 2011.

1. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

Yes... well second hand items can be an excellent value if you know what you're looking for. If a garment is in wearable condition, why must one have to shell out the full price for it? Some people may not like what they buy, they changed their mind, etc. And this is where frugal shoppers can save money on the best brands.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  2. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

Yup. Real fur trim works better in the cold and its harvesting of a sustainable natural resource not for decoration but for function.

3. lektrix

lektrix Well-Known Member

But how "wearable" are they really? That's the question. What condition is it in? Are these jackets simply returns/exchanges 1-2 months in, or 5-6 months later? Were they donated, found in a back of a truck, or outlet-quality with manufacturer defects???

Interesting. $129 jacket vs the same $350-$400 jacket and the only difference is fur. It might be cheaper to buy your own coyote fur trim and have it sewn on by a tailor.

4. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

I would say most of them are returns/exchanges. Some of them are not a popular color and others have minor damage. You can pick them up at a significant savings or wait for a sale on a new jacket.

You could could do it if the jacket is an import. Its not worth it if you're not looking for a jacket with a particular country origin in mind. By that I mean where it was originally made, not where it was sold.

5. Orrery

Orrery Member

I just got a Spiewak Amsterdam Snorkel parka off of Gilt. It's not waxed but 60/40 outside, coyote fur trim. It's pretty awesome and warm. Shackleton steez.

6. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Looks like I'll have to call tomorrow to pick this up!

7. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

I'm 5'7 as well, is a 40 too big for you? i could see 38, but is 40 at all big? can you post a pic?

8. lektrix

lektrix Well-Known Member

Link? Don't see it on Gilt.

9. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

I haven't received it yet. I originally ordered a 36 but based on my size, Hiroshi, the proprietor, recommended I move up to a 40. In Japan, most shops don't stock large and extra large sizes.

UPDATE: When I received the size 40, it fit my 42" chest perfectly and its slim-fitting. I'm a slim guy so this won't probably work if you have a muscular or wide build but if you're a small guy, the Japanese size in practice works out well.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  10. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

Damn! I don't see it listed on their site.

11. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  12. auminesweeper

auminesweeper New Member

I have spoke to Alpha in the USA and these Parka's are factory Temp Rated
    @ -20F/-28.888888C so please be very carefull on the use and figures you quote
    because i would hate to see anyone get frostbite or worse,

No doubt if you layer your cloths it will serve you better and at lower temps so anything is possible if you are carefull just like the guys in the Antarctic etc

13. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

I've had to take my Spiewak Golden Fleece N3B Parka to the dry cleaners to repair the top button. It snapped off when I accidentally pulled on a loose thread. The repair should make it more durable. Its rated to - 40F so it should be warm enough for most subzero conditions. The range can be extended with layers worn underneath the parka for better protection.

14. auminesweeper

auminesweeper New Member

G'day NormanF, that sounds like a nice jacket indeed, i was just thinking about buying a new normal Alpha N3B and here in the UK they have come down in price but they still charge around 220.00 dollars for them which is a bit steep, I wanted to buy the CG Expedition but it is around £650.00/988.00 dollars which is just crazy, i could buy a plane ticket and fly to the USA and buy one and still have change for that kind of money,
    A month ago i bought the TNF Mcmurdo parka which is great but no matter what brand i still am loyal to the Alpha N3B, the weight and the hood extention it just seems perfect and it has been proven by the USAF in the Arctic circle and the best part its made in the
    Good ole US of A and it dont get no better than that.

John

15. auminesweeper

auminesweeper New Member

According to Alpha, These Parka's have been made in Asia for many decades and that Knoxville is their distribution centre, so its no wonder i have seen fakes that are of simular quality

16. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

My Spiewak Golden Fleece N3B parka is wonderful garment to reach for on a cold night. When temperatures drop near zero, I feel comfortable when I put it on. Its the warmest coat the US government ever made for airmen, soldiers and sailors who have to serve under extreme cold weather conditions.

17. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I think the original US Airforce ones where OK. It's one those garments that many manufacturers make. Most of us might have had one at sometime in our lives. Just ask any British schoolboy in the '70s and ' 80s, brands like Lord Anthony, Campri, Keynote, and Brutus will no doubt be familiar to them. Many of them where just rubbish though, certainly not suitable for -60C, they'll keep you dry hopefully.
    http://www.made-in-china.com/showro...mwBWTXtrI/China-Parka-Flight-Jacket-N3B-.html

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  18. Hungryhippo44

Hungryhippo44 Member

I am looking for an Alpha N-3B for this winter. I would love to buy USA made but I can't find the spiewalk anymore. Would like Navy Blue jacket or possibly green olive sage.

I'm a size 39 chest, 5'6, 160lb, 32 waist. Not sure if I should get Alpha or something else. If i get alpha do I get Small regular fit, small slim fit, or medium slim fit?

19. pokpok

pokpok Senior member

20. nn88

nn88 Member

amazon reviews said this thing wasn't that warm.

true/false?