• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments on Alpha N-3B Parka?

lektrix

Reaction score

I think This is affordable and nice and cheap. I am also interested for this.

My budget is under $400 total anyways so this kinda works out for me. I don't have many options in Canada. Either pay out of ****** for the overused Canada Goose/Parajumpers/Nobis/etc., pay $300+ for some baggy, overused made in China North Face, or try to find something in the States when I come for BF shopping in 10 days.

NormanF

Reaction score
My budget is under $400 total anyways so this kinda works out for me. I don't have many options in Canada. Either pay out of ****** for the overused Canada Goose/Parajumpers/Nobis/etc., pay $300+ for some baggy, overused made in China North Face, or try to find something in the States when I come for BF shopping in 10 days.

OK. You don't need to pay a premium for what you mention. I bought on Gear Trade tonight a Chilliwack Merino Wool Bomber for $234. The retail price is $700. Its sold by Back Country so I know I am getting the genuine jacket and not a fake from a shady Internet site. I try not to pay retail for something I want.

Last edited:

lektrix

Reaction score

OK. You don't need to pay a premium for what you mention. I bought on Gear Trade tonight a Chilliwack Merino Wool Bomber for $234. The retail price is $700. Its sold by Back Country so I know I am getting the genuine jacket and not a fake from a shady Internet site. I try not to pay retail for something I want.

Not a big fan of "used" jackets. Used could mean many things. Is this the same site as Backcountry.com? Why are they selling "used" items on that site????

NormanF

Reaction score
Not a big fan of "used" jackets. Used could mean many things. Is this the same site as Backcountry.com? Why are they selling "used" items on that site????

Yes... well second hand items can be an excellent value if you know what you're looking for. If a garment is in wearable condition, why must one have to shell out the full price for it? Some people may not like what they buy, they changed their mind, etc. And this is where frugal shoppers can save money on the best brands.

Last edited:

NormanF

Reaction score
Apparently all the N3B parkas are the same (except for fur trim) and suitable for up to -50F.

Yup. Real fur trim works better in the cold and its harvesting of a sustainable natural resource not for decoration but for function.

lektrix

Reaction score

Yes... well second hand items can be an excellent value if you know what you're looking for. If a garment is in wearable condition, why must one have to shell out the full price for it? Some people may not like what they buy, they changed their mind, etc. And this is where frugal shoppers can save money on the best brands.

But how "wearable" are they really? That's the question. What condition is it in? Are these jackets simply returns/exchanges 1-2 months in, or 5-6 months later? Were they donated, found in a back of a truck, or outlet-quality with manufacturer defects???

Yup. Real fur trim works better in the cold and its harvesting of a sustainable natural resource not for decoration but for function.

Interesting. $129 jacket vs the same $350-$400 jacket and the only difference is fur. It might be cheaper to buy your own coyote fur trim and have it sewn on by a tailor.

NormanF

Reaction score
But how "wearable" are they really? That's the question. What condition is it in? Are these jackets simply returns/exchanges 1-2 months in, or 5-6 months later? Were they donated, found in a back of a truck, or outlet-quality with manufacturer defects???
Interesting. $129 jacket vs the same $350-$400 jacket and the only difference is fur. It might be cheaper to buy your own coyote fur trim and have it sewn on by a tailor.

I would say most of them are returns/exchanges. Some of them are not a popular color and others have minor damage. You can pick them up at a significant savings or wait for a sale on a new jacket.

You could could do it if the jacket is an import. Its not worth it if you're not looking for a jacket with a particular country origin in mind. By that I mean where it was originally made, not where it was sold.

Orrery

Reaction score
I just got a Spiewak Amsterdam Snorkel parka off of Gilt. It's not waxed but 60/40 outside, coyote fur trim. It's pretty awesome and warm. Shackleton steez.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Get the Spiewak USA made N3B off Rakuten USA in Japan. Comes with a real coyote fur trim ruff instead off the synthetic fur trim ruff found on the Alpha.

I'm 5'7", short guy and the Japan store sized me up to a 40 since I have the slender physique Japanese men have.

An N3B parka is the warmest jacket ever made. It will keep you warm in temperatures down to minus 60 C. It was standard issue to US Air Force crews serving in the most extreme latitudes in the world.

I'm 5'7 as well, is a 40 too big for you? i could see 38, but is 40 at all big? can you post a pic?

NormanF

Reaction score
I'm 5'7 as well, is a 40 too big for you? i could see 38, but is 40 at all big? can you post a pic?

I haven't received it yet. I originally ordered a 36 but based on my size, Hiroshi, the proprietor, recommended I move up to a 40. In Japan, most shops don't stock large and extra large sizes.

UPDATE: When I received the size 40, it fit my 42" chest perfectly and its slim-fitting. I'm a slim guy so this won't probably work if you have a muscular or wide build but if you're a small guy, the Japanese size in practice works out well.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics