• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comment on my suit please

firing

Reaction score
Hi, I recently purchased a cheap tailor made suit in Shanghai. It's the first suit I've got made and I'm not 100 % satisfied with the result. As I am new to classic mens wear as well as to this forum I'd like your opinions on this. I'm sure these guys can make baller suits as long as they're provided with precise instructions.

This guy had no sense of style or fits so I tried to instruct him properly but as you can see. Something went wrong. Ideas? I am early 20's, well built and I want a stylish suit that makes my shoulders look narrower and looks fresh, but classic.

I still have some time and money to spend before I leave da shang so any ideas is welcomed. Here goes...

ssl20008kj6.jpg

ssl20012zc0.jpg

ssl20013gq4.jpg

ssl20014ac9.jpg

ssl20010eg5.jpg

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm sorry. It looks like the measurement is all wrong. If you haven't mentioned it, that looks like an off-the-rack suit one size too big for you. I strongly suggest you take everything back and tell the tailor to give you a suit that is cut for you.

firing

Reaction score
I'm not even gonna bring this back home, it's not worth the space it takes up in my suitcase. If you have some experience instructing taylors please list some DO's and DONT's when making a suit. Some links to great suits would also be appreciated, preferrably pics that make copying possible
smile.gif
welcome to china

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The front chest part near your shoulder has weird folds in it, is this the mysterious "drape" i've been hearing about?
devil.gif
The suit has weird folds everywhere really, a really good example of a suit that doesn't fit well. IMO you need to ditch the tailor and find a new one, cause this guy clearly doesn't have a clue!

JSK

Reaction score
I dunno. Maybe throw it in the dryer, and hope it shrinks? You're planning on throwing it away anyway, so you've got nothing to lose. Do they have things like Goodwill or Salvation Army there?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
100 usd ? Even if the most remote part orf North Korea ,you cannot find a decent suit for that price!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Leave it there or wear it when you're cruising the local McDo...

misterjase

Reaction score
one or two sizes too large. the bloke that sold you that suit is a criminal. bin it. learn from it.

you shouldn't have to be precise with a tailor to get a decent result. but, you should provide a description (a picture if you like) of the look you want to help him see yourself as you want to see yourself. he should improve it for you from there.

also, best to button the middle button and maybe the top button on that suit. you shouldn't button the bottom button (unless it's cold and you have to sacrifice look for comfort. he he).

strazzaque

Reaction score
Keep the vest and pants and have the latter altered. Don't wear them together, and you might be able to recoup something off eBay if you decide to auction.

G79

Reaction score
Seems a bit too large, can u get ur money back ??

neyus

Reaction score
Can you button the top two buttons please. that might give me a better indication.

it certainly looks too large. particularly in the sleeves, shoulders and chest. but i do like the idea of the suit just wasn't executed well.

Omegablogger

Reaction score
That tailor certainly doesn't scrimp on fabric
smile.gif

At that price I'd wear it for gardening, will look awesome tucked in to a pair of green wellingtons.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics