• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comfy modern-ish living room recliners? Eames/Ekornes/etc?

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just jumping in here since I found this thread via a Google search and just went through the process of buying an Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman and then turning around and selling it and getting an Ekornes Stressless recliner instead.

My observations are as follows:

-The Eames looks tops and very stylish and a real conversation piece.

-If you are relatively short, it's more comfy than if you are fairly tall (say 5' 8" and over). I'm 5' 10.5" and was not comfortable in the Eames at all. It does not support your head at all unless you scoot way forward and lean back but then your lower back is not at all supported. If you are a fairly short person, this problem is largely diminished.
-Since the Eames does not recline, it's more of a socializing chair rather than a movie/TV watching or relaxing chair. It's perfect for sitting and chatting with friends and family or perhaps reading the paper but gets downright un-comfy after a while reading a novel or watching a movie.

So I ended up with the Ekorness Stressless Taurus model in black leather. It's very similar to their top of the line Jazz model, but $1000. less. I was actually originally considering the Jazz, but the styling of that one is more over the top and makes a statement whereas the Taurus is more understated.

The Ekornes styling is certainly not as classic as the Eames for sure, but it's a lot more functional and comfy all the way around. I feel great when I sit in the Stressless and can easily take nap in it in total comfort with it reclined all the way and the headrest in the flat sleep position. The fact that the headrest adjusts up and down is a plus for me too.

In closing, I would say if you are primarily into looks, go with the Eames. There's no denying it's a classic. If comfort is important to you though, I don't think the Ekornes recliners are matched by much else.

Michel StClair

Reaction score
We owned 4 Wassily for years...(I'm an Architect) ...and nobody sat in them...just too damn uncomfortable. My wife donated them and brought home an over stuffed recliner....I won't go near it and put a sheet over it when she's not home.

Seriously, she had neck surgery and finds it hard to sleep flat sometimes so she sleeps in the recliner...so I can't just buy something because it looks good or has a long pedigree. I don't know if the Eames is the right chair for her, it doesn't really "recline" but I have yet to find any recliner that I would want in my home. So, what chair would you want if you had back surgery...or is "comfort" just different for each person. help.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I spent like two weeks in my eames chair after a hernia operation. I find it comfortable, but it's all dependent on the user.

TMMKC

Reaction score
I have an Eames lounge chair in my office. It looks great but isn't very comfortable, frankly...especially for working or reading emails. My lower back and neck hurt if I sit in it too long.

Sadly it's now (mostly) a place to pile paperwork and trade publications...and collect dust.

Last edited:

lewiswhite

Reaction score
I have a Kahuna Massage Chair Recliner LM6800. This recliner is very comfortable, fully remote controlled and has a tilting feature. I buy a recline from https://sortedforyou.com/best-recliners-for-back-pain, this site is basically a review site. I am a regular customer of lazy-boy but their recliners don't satisfy my needs. From last 2 years I was suffering from back pain, after that, I visit a doctor and doctor recommended me an X-ray but after my reports came there is no problem in my X-ray, at that doctor recommends me to change my sleeping patterns, do some yoga and stretching and buy a recliner, avoid excessive sitting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics