1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Comfy modern-ish living room recliners? Eames/Ekornes/etc?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by j, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

[​IMG]

After a good six months of consideration, finally broke down and picked one up.

The chair makes me [​IMG]

The price made me [​IMG]

2. nightrune

nightrune Active Member

i want one upholstered in a grey wool. congrats on the purchase!

i've also been thinking about this but i've cracked my philippe starck ghost chairs so this may not be a good idea.
    [​IMG]

3. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

i want one upholstered in a grey wool. congrats on the purchase!

i've also been thinking about this but i've cracked my philippe starck ghost chairs so this may not be a good idea.

I was thinking herringbone or some sort of tweed. I just plan on getting one where the cushions are completely shot and doing it.

4. nightrune

nightrune Active Member

^herringbone sounds great. what kind of tweed? can you do a donegal in upholstery too? my father will probably give me his when he transfers into his newly built french traditional home so i've got a few mcm pieces and also modern from the 70's coming my way.

in the meantime i want this lofty chaise lounge from mdf italia. i wonder if it's derivative of something. would anyone know? how is the quality of mdf italia?
    [​IMG]

5. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

[​IMG]

After a good six months of consideration, finally broke down and picked one up.

The chair makes me [​IMG]

The price made me [​IMG]

Nice. There's a guy selling one here for $1300. Original, not a repro, but needs reupholstering. Trying to convince my wife (and myself) that's in our budget [​IMG]

6. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

eames, knoll etc prices in the US makes me [​IMG]

7. dave

dave Senior member

Nice. There's a guy selling one here for $1300. Original, not a repro, but needs reupholstering. Trying to convince my wife (and myself) that's in our budget [​IMG]

If it is an original, at 1300 it's a STEAL! in my experience though, if you're trying to keep it original, the refurb will cost at least that much again. totally worth it though.

I just recently bought an original florence knoll sofa that needs refurb but it's in decent enough shape that I decided to live with it until the funds make themselves available for a proper restoration. if this chair is in that sort of livable shape i would jump on it! restore later.

8. Yo-han

Yo-han Senior member

eames, knoll etc prices in the US makes me [​IMG]

lol, US prices for eames stuff is around half of what you pay in europe, a new lounge chair + ottoman would run me around $8000 over here..

9. dave

dave Senior member

lol, US prices for eames stuff is around half of what you pay in europe, a new lounge chair + ottoman would run me around $8000 over here..

no joke huh? and with the way people run on and on around here about the perceived quality and value of a $600 windbreaker or a $200 sweatshirt, you'd think that furniture would fall in line accordingly.

10. v0rtex

v0rtex Senior member

Alfie Hume (humemodern.com) did an incredible job with restoring my trashed Craigslisted Eames lounge. Cost around $1,000 to have all the panels completely refinished, drill holes (!) filled in, new shockmounts fitted, shipping, etc. Also used a company called Creative Colors International who specialize in leather repair who restored the scratches and fading on the leather really well. Cost about $200 for them to come and spend the morning meticulously sanding, airbrushing and polishing. They claim to be able to restore cuts, holes, slashes, etc - if your upholstery is sound but just has holes (ie. not rotting away) you may be able to get it restored pretty cheap. Edit: Chair is worth every penny. It's comfortable as hell (I'm 6'6" so was wondering if it would be too small. It's not.), looks awesome and will hold it's value.

11. dave

dave Senior member

Alfie Hume (humemodern.com) did an incredible job with restoring my trashed Craigslisted Eames lounge. Cost around $1,000 to have all the panels completely refinished, drill holes (!) filled in, new shockmounts fitted, shipping, etc.

Je-Zus! this thing is awesome!

[​IMG]

Apparently they replaced the sown fill pads and retained the original leather. that's something I'd kill for since the patina on the original leather is why i love the classic chairs SO much. it's like the perfect baseball glove.

for $1000 that is a job VERY well done. IMO

12. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

13. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

Uh, I didn't buy it [​IMG]

Do it man!

I'm very happy with the purchase three weeks on.

My mother saw a picture of the Eames, and said "ah, just like a la-z-boy!" [​IMG]

14. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Senior member

Where's the best place to buy a repo Eames?

I noticed Amazon.com has one but they want $4,500 for it..... [​IMG]

15. claudinedcolley

claudinedcolley New Member

16. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Just jumping in here since I found this thread via a Google search and just went through the process of buying an Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman and then turning around and selling it and getting an Ekornes Stressless recliner instead.

My observations are as follows:

-The Eames looks tops and very stylish and a real conversation piece.

-If you are relatively short, it's more comfy than if you are fairly tall (say 5' 8" and over). I'm 5' 10.5" and was not comfortable in the Eames at all. It does not support your head at all unless you scoot way forward and lean back but then your lower back is not at all supported. If you are a fairly short person, this problem is largely diminished.
    -Since the Eames does not recline, it's more of a socializing chair rather than a movie/TV watching or relaxing chair. It's perfect for sitting and chatting with friends and family or perhaps reading the paper but gets downright un-comfy after a while reading a novel or watching a movie.

So I ended up with the Ekorness Stressless Taurus model in black leather. It's very similar to their top of the line Jazz model, but $1000. less. I was actually originally considering the Jazz, but the styling of that one is more over the top and makes a statement whereas the Taurus is more understated.

The Ekornes styling is certainly not as classic as the Eames for sure, but it's a lot more functional and comfy all the way around. I feel great when I sit in the Stressless and can easily take nap in it in total comfort with it reclined all the way and the headrest in the flat sleep position. The fact that the headrest adjusts up and down is a plus for me too.

In closing, I would say if you are primarily into looks, go with the Eames. There's no denying it's a classic. If comfort is important to you though, I don't think the Ekornes recliners are matched by much else.

17. Michel StClair

Michel StClair New Member

We owned 4 Wassily for years...(I'm an Architect) ...and nobody sat in them...just too damn uncomfortable. My wife donated them and brought home an over stuffed recliner....I won't go near it and put a sheet over it when she's not home.

Seriously, she had neck surgery and finds it hard to sleep flat sometimes so she sleeps in the recliner...so I can't just buy something because it looks good or has a long pedigree. I don't know if the Eames is the right chair for her, it doesn't really "recline" but I have yet to find any recliner that I would want in my home. So, what chair would you want if you had back surgery...or is "comfort" just different for each person. help.

18. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I spent like two weeks in my eames chair after a hernia operation. I find it comfortable, but it's all dependent on the user.

19. TMMKC

TMMKC Member

I have an Eames lounge chair in my office. It looks great but isn't very comfortable, frankly...especially for working or reading emails. My lower back and neck hurt if I sit in it too long.

Sadly it's now (mostly) a place to pile paperwork and trade publications...and collect dust.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017