• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Combo for a black cardigan?

Poy

Reaction score
My girlfriend bought me a black cardigan for christmas and im having trouble finding a shirt to wear underneath it. I dont want to wear a white dress shirt underneath it because it seems a bit too simple so i was wondering if i could wear a white shirt with light blkue stripes underneath. Would that look alright?

black-cardigan-081107-uniqlo.png

the cardigan i have has grey trimming on where the buttons are and along the bottom
thx in advance!!

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off the top of my head:

- navy blue (or green even) bengal stripe with dark straw coloured khakis and dark brown shoes
- solid pink with stone khakis and tan shoes
- dark blue or faded navy shirt with olive corduroys and dark brown/burgundy shoes

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A very tight band t-shirt

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polo shirts go best with cardigans in my experience.

I actually like to wear an AA tank (call me hipster) underneath a cotton cardigan in tropical, equatorial climate during my casual days.

yo!

Reaction score
Wear some gray pants or jeans and any color shirt except a dark blue.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Poy
i was wondering if i could wear a white shirt with light blkue stripes underneath. Would that look alright?
Yes
Originally Posted by yo!
Wear some gray pants or jeans and any color shirt except a dark blue.
+1

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White shirt with stripes would go well. I did a pink OCBD the other day that looked really sharp. It's hard to go wrong unless you wear something too dark underneath which would make it difficult to differentiate the cardi from the shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads