• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Combat Boots: Altama vs. Corcoran

gilwood

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can comment on the quality of altama vs. corcoran boots. I recently tried on a pair of altama classic leather boots like these:

http://www.altama.com/Tp1/item_detai...?ItemCode=4157

But they felt like they had a piece of folded up cardboard in the toe. I stuck my hand in and I could feel the deep ridges on my fingers. It felt like terrible quality to me. Maybe the pair I tried on was defective? My next boot to try on is the Corcoran. Let me know if anyone has any experience with a pair:

http://www.corcoranandmatterhorn.com...&CategoryID=34

Some other alternatives I've seen suggested before are Carolina Boots (no longer makes combat style boots):

http://www.carolinashoe.com/category.asp?CatID=284

or WW2 reproductions made by "At the Front".

http://www.atthefront.com/

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Corcoran jump boots and they are OK for boots to kick around in or ride my motorcycle. They definitely run one-half to one full size large. The construction is decent, but my biggest complaint is that mine do not have non-marking soles. So, I have to take them off as soon as I walk in my house. I got mine slightly used off Ebay, and I don't think I'd pay retail for them. If you want some nicer boots to wear every day, I think you'd be better off saving your money and buying some Red Wings, although those At the Front boots look nice.

Shorty Long

Reaction score
DAMN!! These look sweet!!

us_boot_serv_shoe_main.jpg

graphite

Reaction score
i'm assuming you're concerned with fashion, which i don't know much about. but i do have experience with corcorans. i've been wearing the same pair of boots since feb 2007, to include 1+ years in baghdad. when i'm stateside i frequently wear these boots while riding a motorcycle or on a quick trip out. they aren't exactly pretty, but combats are for... combat. the build quality is fairly decent for what i paid (about 80 bucks). the stitching is holding up nicely, around the leather tops as well as on the soles. the only issues in material is a hole that has developed on the insides of the boot, symmetrically for each boot, and light seams that have come apart on the cordura siding. the suade/leather has held up nicely. the soles have held up reasonably over time. they are "vibram" soles, and after 2 years show compression around the heel, as well as some cracks in the spongy material. there is still tread on the soles, although just the very *center* have worn almost flat. the rivets and lace-holes have held up great and none have come apart or broken. i have worn these boots through rain, standing water, mild days, dry days, extremely arid days, both heat and cold. they are not too hot to wear on the hottest days (130f+) but do not provide a great deal of insulation on cold days. no thinsulate, no goretex. i need new insoles. i find corcoran's "cut" tends to fit my feet well. i've never gotten a pair of altamas that fit my feet. but our feet are different shapes so YMMV. if you are looking for comfort i would look into oakley's assault boot line-- their boots are extremely comfortable for long term wear, not to mention light weight. they feel like tennis shoes w/ ankle support. downside is, our experience with durability of oakleys is poor. i see oakleys wear out and begin to come apart in 8-10 months time. which sucks cause they will run you about 180.00. i've had great experience with danner "acadias" as well, the one with goretex. one thing about danners and corcorans is they're both heavy feeling boots, especially in comparison to oakley and converse branded combats. hope this helps.
boot1v.jpg
boot2m.jpg
boot3.jpg
boot5.jpg
boot4.jpg
ps every time i get a new pair of leather boots, i wear them in the shower (hot water) for like 2 weeks. i'll wear them into the shower, let them dry for about a day, wear them the next day and then wear them into the shower again (repeat). this really helps soften up the leather and help the boot mold to your feet. i guess i wouldn't recommend this for "presentation" boots like the ones mentioned above. they do look nice though.

Narwhale

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shorty Long
DAMN!! These look sweet!!

us_boot_serv_shoe_main.jpg

I have these. Unfortunately I'm fairly new to the boot game, so I'm not sure how helpful I can be. I got these about a month ago. They're kind of clunky, though I suppose that's to be expected. I wear an 8 in Clarks DBs, and these (ordered an 8 as that's the smallest size they carry) are about the same length-wise but quite a bit wider so they were loose on me. they also have a lot of vertical room in the toebox, so even with a relatively thick Powerstep insole I still have plenty of room to wiggle my toes. I'm no leather expert, but it seems fine to me. The stitching on the sole is already wearing, but i'm not sure how worried I should be about that. The soles squeak (it's a noted problem on the website). Hopefully that will go away soon. I have read reports of others with this boot, and they seem to hold up well after several years of use, so that's nice.

Honestly, unless you're a WWII reenactor or really love the styling, you're probably better off with some LL Bean Engineers or Red Wings. They're not BAD, and I think they'll last a while, but I do slightly regret my purchase. I'll try to answer any other questions you guys have.

reprehensible

Reaction score
Missed this the first time around. But, as it happens, I own a pair of the Corcoran boots the OP was interested in.

corcoran2.jpg

corcoran1.jpg

I've had them for, oh, probably more than six years. Not worn everyday or anything, and obviously not put through a lot of strain.

Reasonably comfortable, fairly durable, they take a shine quite well. No cushioning to speak of.

If you want a big, shiny pair of boots, I recommend them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads