• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College student buying first suit for interview

Valor

Reaction score
How good of a suit you need mostly depends on what kind of culture the firm you're interviewing with has.

lilmann40

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kique
Thanks for the advice you guys. I managed to get to the mall in between my classes today and tried some stuff on. I'm a pretty small guy so most stuff didn't fit (no H&M here), although I did find this at Macy's that I think looks good?
16k7yia.jpg
It's a 36S, and on sale for the next couple days for 200 with those pants. If I do get it, what alterations are recommended. I'm used to the SW&D forum where I wear everything sized down. I think the sleeves should be taken in a little, you want to see a little bit of the shirt underneath right? Can anything be done to make arm holes smaller? BTW that shirt in the pic was just one I quickly grabbed. Thanks for putting up with my questions!

the jacket seems a little big in my opinion in the shoulders...just curious, what is your height/weight?! i'm 5'7 120 lbs...i think i picked up the same suit in a 38S...
4482187414_92a233851d_o.jpg
4481538357_8815306d42_o.jpg

Icehawk

Reaction score
It looks really big to me, I have fairly narrow shoulders and it looks like the OP does as well. Kique if you don't mind, how tall are you/what's your weight? I'm thinking you must be even more slenderly built.

I'd keep looking if you can, it is very tough when you are a smaller guy like we are. Not sure where you are but in Miami and Boston I've been to large "tailor's" that sell suits, they tend to have a lot more smaller ones, will alter them for you, and are typically inexpensive. Austin Burke, for example in Miami.

Kique

Reaction score
I'm actually the same height/weight as lilman, 5'7" 120lbs. I obviously have a smaller chest though?
Originally Posted by runner-guy
Here's my advice. Go back to Macy's and have an associate help you out. Have them take your measurements to figure out the proper size suit (and proper size shirt) and then try to find one that fits you in the shoulders. You'd have to ask if they have anything smaller than 36S. As far as lapels go, a notched lapel probably is a better way to go. Try to find an Alfani that has a notched lapel or look at Calvin Klein, DKNY, or another brand that tends to have a slimmer cut. The associate should help you with this. Tailoring usually costs $50-$100 depending on how much needs to be done.
An associate was the one that reccomended the suit I took a pic of, in fact he told me I didn't even need to alter it because it fit perfectly
facepalm.gif
Even I knew that was a lie. He took measurements of me and told me my size was 36S, and that I was lucky because thats the smallest suit size they carried. I knew he was bullshitting on the suit fitting me perfectly, but I believed him when he said I was a 36S? I got the feeling that this Macy's isn't a full blown Macy's, as the entire store is one floor and their selection of suits was Alfani (this being 50% of the selection), RL, and Calvin Klein. No DKNY or slimmer cut suits. They also didn't have a tailor in-store to further help me. I think I'm just going to have to go and look for suits in Chicago (I'm a couple hours away now), since this obviously isn't working with this limited selection. Any places there than I should look, other than the usual places mentioned already, that won't break the bank.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Don't get a peak label as your first suit.

+1 Especially for an interview suit.

lilmann40

Reaction score
I'm actually the same height/weight as lilman, 5'7" 120lbs. I obviously have a smaller chest though?

An associate was the one that reccomended the suit I took a pic of, in fact he told me I didn't even need to alter it because it fit perfectly
facepalm.gif
Even I knew that was a lie. He took measurements of me and told me my size was 36S, and that I was lucky because thats the smallest suit size they carried. I knew he was bullshitting on the suit fitting me perfectly, but I believed him when he said I was a 36S?

I got the feeling that this Macy's isn't a full blown Macy's, as the entire store is one floor and their selection of suits was Alfani (this being 50% of the selection), RL, and Calvin Klein. No DKNY or slimmer cut suits. They also didn't have a tailor in-store to further help me.

I think I'm just going to have to go and look for suits in Chicago (I'm a couple hours away now), since this obviously isn't working with this limited selection. Any places there than I should look, other than the usual places mentioned already, that won't break the bank.

wow man, you seriously must have a small chest...i do not work out whatsoever, and i'm wearing that 38S...kinda wish it was a 36S tho to be honest...is that a solid suit? or is it like a pinstripe? you should PM me...i'm looking for a 36S if it's a pinstripe...cuz they didn't have that size available anywhere around here.

but as for chicago, maybe check out Zara...from what I hear, their suits are pretty slim and you should be able to find smaller sizes...also, H&M might be a decent fix for you.

SeriousBusiness

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lilmann40
wow man, you seriously must have a small chest...i do not work out whatsoever, and i'm wearing that 38S...kinda wish it was a 36S tho to be honest...is that a solid suit? or is it like a pinstripe? you should PM me...i'm looking for a 36S if it's a pinstripe...cuz they didn't have that size available anywhere around here.

but as for chicago, maybe check out Zara...from what I hear, their suits are pretty slim and you should be able to find smaller sizes...also, H&M might be a decent fix for you.

Yeah for the OP's purposes, trying a Zara or H&M wouldn't be a bad idea at all. I have similar measurements to both of you, and I find Zara 36R suits to be OK size wise. They'll still need some work, likely to take in the sides.

H&M carries 34R sizes which I think would fit the OP perfectly.

lilmann40

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness
Yeah for the OP's purposes, trying a Zara or H&M wouldn't be a bad idea at all. I have similar measurements to both of you, and I find Zara 36R suits to be OK size wise. They'll still need some work, likely to take in the sides. H&M carries 34R sizes which I think would fit the OP perfectly.
So you find the R instead of S to be alright? length wise that is...

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much attention they pay to what you're wearing? I know in my field (medical), clothes don't matter that much as long as you don't wear something that sticks out too much.

Ammanas

Reaction score

facepalm.gif
Even I knew that was a lie. He took measurements of me and told me my size was 36S, and that I was lucky because thats the smallest suit size they carried. I knew he was bullshitting on the suit fitting me perfectly, but I believed him when he said I was a 36S?

I got the feeling that this Macy's isn't a full blown Macy's, as the entire store is one floor and their selection of suits was Alfani (this being 50% of the selection), RL, and Calvin Klein. No DKNY or slimmer cut suits. They also didn't have a tailor in-store to further help me.

I think I'm just going to have to go and look for suits in Chicago (I'm a couple hours away now), since this obviously isn't working with this limited selection. Any places there than I should look, other than the usual places mentioned already, that won't break the bank.

Hi, registerd after lurking for a while just for this thread.

I sell suits at Macy's and it seems pretty likely the guy is hustling you to make a sale (or flat out is a moron; neither would suprise me judging from my coworkers). Just looking your picture it seems the shoulders are overly big and the jacket hangs off you, despite being slim. When you unbutton the jacket and 'fold' one side over the other, how far can you go before it's taut against your body? Looks like 3-4 inches, way too much.

What he gave you is an Alfani Red grey seperate with peaked lapels and is inappropriate for a first suit, although the Red label is a slimmer line. Yeah, DKNY would be better (particularly the season's new charcoal) but likely a little big still.

Look elsewhere and go for something a little darker than that Alfani Red grey color.

Kique

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help you guys, I havn't been able to make it to Chicago yet so my suit search continues I guess.

I actually have a question related to this, I just got another interview today and the lady said to dress business casual for it. What does these mean? No suit? Should I wear a suit even though she said not to? It is kind of a newer firm with younger folks running it, if that helps.

southbound35

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help you guys, I havn't been able to make it to Chicago yet so my suit search continues I guess.

I actually have a question related to this, I just got another interview today and the lady said to dress business casual for it. What does these mean? No suit? Should I wear a suit even though she said not to? It is kind of a newer firm with younger folks running it, if that helps.

If you were specifically told to dress business casual, do not wear a suit. I'd suggest a pair of charcoal dress slacks and a dress shirt (no tie) with a subdued blue/white pattern, either a stripe or check.

spidercan

Reaction score
As 34's are notoriously difficult to find I've found one way of slimming the shoulders is to take in the back seam. This is not as easy of a task as it seems, since the tailor must remove the collar and then sew it back on after the seam has been taken in. However I have had this done quite well in the past, and one does not have to run the risk of altering the actual shoulder.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads