• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar me

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Spread em wider TB. WIDER!
Er...We're still talking about my collar points, right?
confused.gif

Originally Posted by NORE
Forget the face/neck crap. Get a killer collar.
I respectfully disagree, NORE. I've seen a lot of guys on WAYWRN who ruin their looks because their collars either deprive them of their necks or make stovepipes out of them. Say what you will about where my collar points fall -- that's another matter -- but you cannot convince me that my current collar is not flattering to my face shape and neck length.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a related topic, will someone be kind enough to educate me about collar roll? A lot of guys in WAYWRN get positively weak in the knees when they see a good one, and I'd like to know how to tell the difference. I want to swoon, too.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mac
Look out for Finamore collars Threadbearer, I've seen really nice rolled collars from them.

Also check out: Folded Up Shirt Appreciation.

Thanks, Mac, but since I am so in the dark on this subject, I don't even know what to look for.

Would someone, perhaps, be willing to post some pics of collars with good roll and some collars without? Also, is collar roll only an issue on button down collars, or does it apply to other collars, too?

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting those pix, Mac. Allow me to reveal the true depth of my ignorance on this subject by asking which part of the collar, A or B (below), plays the bigger role, as it were, in the roll? It seems as if collar stays alone would be enough to ruin the arc in the A section.

CollarRoll.jpg

More important, which is more critical to achieving great collar roll, the way the collar is made or the way it is pressed. I can't imaging any of my shirts coming back from the dry cleaner looking like the ones posted above.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Nobody wants to field these questions for me? ^^^

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
is there any type of tutorial about how to chose a collar style for your face/hair/facial hair?

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Flusser has some kind of rule about choosing a collar based on your face shape. But, I think you should pick the one that you like best and what works proportionally with the rest of your outfit (lapel width, tie or no tie, etc). Unless the collar is really extreme, I just don't think a it's going to change the perception of your face that much.

Here's another thread about this topic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads