• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothes Brush?

Patek14

Reaction score
Anybody know what B&M stores carry half decent clothes brushes locally? I am looking for one specifcally for suits. I would prefer not to order one online but I will if I have to.

I am near Northern VA if any NOVA-ers know of non-chains as well...

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my 3-in-1 from the Container Store. Not sure if you have one of those but most department stores should have something you can use.

mccvi

Reaction score
Kent clothing brushes through their ebay store... (heavily discounted direct from Kent as they are seconds - nothing visibly second, though, to my eye).

I know you want b&m, but check them out.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a Kent brush, and love it. I purchased it from their eBay store; it shipped quickly and without any problems whatsoever. I highly recommend Kent.

Wrigglez

Reaction score
i got a cashmere care brush from kent, it rocks. i got in from there online store

eightysixed

Reaction score
Another vote for Kent brushes from the eBay store. Much less expensive that way and I don't see any issues with mine either. High quality. Works great.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mccvi
Kent clothing brushes through their ebay store... (heavily discounted direct from Kent as they are seconds - nothing visibly second, though, to my eye).

Originally Posted by JayJay
I have a Kent brush, and love it. I purchased it from their eBay store; it shipped quickly and without any problems whatsoever. I highly recommend Kent.

Originally Posted by eightysixed
Another vote for Kent brushes from the eBay store. Much less expensive that way and I don't see any issues with mine either. High quality. Works great.

^^^ these

vbuskirk

Reaction score
I have two Kent brushes (home+office) and one from Dillards (backup/travel). The Dillards brush is fine, but the Kent brushes are nicer quality.

derv

Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question, but I bought a Kent brush - and I am not sure what it accomplishes. From my experience, clothes tend to need to be washed as they absorb oils and sweat from the body, I am just not sure what the brush accomplishes other than getting out a hardened chunk of food or whatnot that finds it's way on your clothes.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can find some wonderful antique clothes brush types, some dating back to the 18th century. These can make for great collectibles, but may not prove to be very useful. Further, the antique clothes brush is likely to be quite expensive, and you may want to use one only for display.

There are many modern clothes brush types that are likely to do a better job on your clothes, and will come at a much less expensive price. You can go all out and purchase clothes brush styles hand carved from rare woods, with horsehair bristles for about $100-200 US Dollars (USD). If you are budgeting, there are many excellent clothes brush styles that can be more cheaply purchased, often for less than or slightly more than $20 USD.

The simplest clothes brush will merely feature a long handle, and varied brush shapes. Some people prefer a rounded brush, and others like a brush that is more rectangular in shape. To remove lint or "furries" from clothing, you simply vigorously brush the offending clothing. It's often preferable to have someone else do this for you while you are wearing the garment.

Another type of clothes brush that has become quite popular features the bristled brush on one side and then is backed by a tiny brush on the other side, called a lint brush. The little teeth or bristles of the lint brush are great for picking up dandruff, and tiny pieces of lint or nap that the clothes brush side misses. This two in one combination is thought to work better than the simple clothes brush since you are treating the clothes with several different bristle types. Normally you use the bristle side first, then flip the clothes brush over and use the lint side next to remove small unnecessaries from a garment.

You can find clothes brushes that will serve several more purposes. A popular combination, perhaps a good gift for the dad who seems to have it all, is the clothes/lint brush and shoehorn. Most people don't need this extra, but it might be a fun gift.

Many people are quite satisfied with the results of a good clothes brushing, but you still might want to keep a good adhesive roller on hand in case Fluffy the cat decides to use your sports coat as a place to nap, or you need to brush a very delicate item of clothing. Since you brush down with the clothes brush, lint can accumulate at the bottom of a garment. An adhesive roller can take care off any stubborn lint that can't be brushed off. It's also important to regularly clean your clothes brush, as it tends to be less effective when it's full of lint.

jreigen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mccvi

Link?

Raralith

Reaction score
Honestly, Kent Brushes are nice, but I prefer lint brushes. Will @ ASW makes a good point at AAAC (http://askandyaboutclothes.com/forum...142#post686142) about Kent Brushes removing dust that settles on clothing and the dust wearing cloth. But, the reason why clothes brushes gets out dust is because of abrasion as pointed out later in that thread. You are wearing your clothes by using a brush, and while a lint roller does use adhesive, it does rub off quite easily. Personally, I do use lint brushes and dry clean twice a year.

vbuskirk

Reaction score
I think they both have their place. I have brushes, grocery store adhesive tape lint rollers, and natural/cloth [non-bristle] lint brushes. And, I use them all, when appropriate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads