• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleans vs. Pendlay Rows

adversity04

Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
If you're counting on "lats just big enough for a nice taper" to get laid, you're going to be a virgin long after Conne finally gets a piece.
rotflmao.gif

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still learning how to do power cleans correctly. I'm almost there. It's a challenging lift and I enjoy spending time mastering it.

Luckily I've got a friend who completed a barbell certification by Rip that trains me when he's in town. He's 20 years old, kinda short, not very big and at the moment is squatting 400+ and deadlifting 440 for sets across. Insane.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also...I don't how there could be a "cleans vs. rows" debate as they are completely different exercises..

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone was saying the exercises are all that similar. If you're just starting out, many people recommend a steady diet of heavy barbell compound exercises. Squats, deadlifts, bench press for sure, then pick a few of ..... rows, military press, dips, pull-ups, power cleans. I know they hit different areas, but the idea is to lift some heavy freaking weight and get away from the "what body part does it develop?" mentality.

Do rows or power cleans; hell, do them both. Either way, you're way ahead of the guy doing mostly isolation exercises.

Mblova

Reaction score
Hell, he should be doing deadlifts AND powercleans. Talk about gaining strength.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mblova
Hell, he should be doing deadlifts AND powercleans. Talk about gaining strength.

I think it's pretty safe to assume he's already doing squats, dead-lifts and presses as well, since they're all part of Starting Strength.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Starting Strength program is a result of 30+ years of Rippetoe's experience coaching and competing in strength sports. I'm not going to tamper with it.

To each his own of course.

asdf

Reaction score
cleans are much harder to learn, as shown by how approximately 94.63% of people do them incorrectly. although they involve scapular retraction, it is isometric and therefore probably not as beneficial for postural training and not as good for, as you seem to desire, developing teh latzorz.

BOR's and pendlay rows are pretty sweet and pretty easy to learn. if you are going to do one, I would do pendlay rows.

Becks23

Reaction score
When I do complexes I go from a high-pull/clean to a pendlay row.

High-pull isn't a bad exercise but has some of the benefits of a clean.

dimshum

Reaction score
I think in terms of athleticism, the power clean has much more application than do rows. Rows are great for adding mass, but don't train speed/power as well as power cleans. It does, however, add massive trap size. Rows train you back, but so do deadlifts. And, if you're concerned with lat size, the pullups overcome that.

If you train your deadlift heavy, you WILL have a huge middle/upper back (thoracic). Stick to power cleans. If you can't/don't know how then I would assume that rows would be okay. Honestly though, if you can deadlift, you can definitely power clean. Pull that sucker to the middle of your thigh, shrug and squeeze your glutes explosively and catch.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dimshum
Honestly though, if you can deadlift, you can definitely power clean.

Not really. Power cleans are a lot more technical because of the catch.

dimshum

Reaction score
I don't know if I agree. If you're talking about cleans then the technically, yes, it's difficult. If you're talking power cleans, it's a much simpler movement. Although, I guess I'm basing it off of personal experience. To each his own.

Invicta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dimshum
I don't know if I agree. If you're talking about cleans then the technically, yes, it's difficult. If you're talking power cleans, it's a much simpler movement. Although, I guess I'm basing it off of personal experience. To each his own.

Well of course, in order of technical difficulty it goes something like this:

snatch>clean>power clean>.....>walking>pendaly rows

Explosive movements are always more technically difficult that static isolation movements.

To the OP: As william said before, they're different exercises, do both. In fact in honor of this threak my workout today included both full squat cleans and pendaly rows. It was glorious.

John152

Reaction score
Originally Posted by william
The Starting Strength program is a result of 30+ years of Rippetoe's experience coaching and competing in strength sports. I'm not going to tamper with it.

To each his own of course.

This. There was some question on the strengthmill Q&A about subbing x exercise for y excercise and Rippetoe's answer was along the lines of if you want to fine, but you're not doing SS anymore.

And If I had to do an order of difficulty for the lifts it would be Clean>Snatch>Power Clean even though Greg Everett says (and I agree) that depth of the catch in a clean or power clean is more a function of weight lifted than anything else. You can force yourself to squat clean 45lbs, but it would be much more natural to catch it in the power clean position, while if you're moving 300lbs it would be more natural to drop underneath the bar and squat clean it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads