• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning out my Suit Closet… Need Serious Help!

jaymac10

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’ve been doing a lot of reading on here but thought I would post up my current situation for discussion!

Background:
I’m a 31 year old (Canadian) stock broker/financial advisor and wear a suit to work every day. My current collection of about eight suits consists mostly of Boss that I picked up second hand from a colleague of mine. He would buy 3-4 new suits every year so I would snag his old ones… We have virtually the same build/measurements so most of them fit quite well. Plus the fact that I would buy them for $100 each was a bonus!

However, he’s now out of the business and the majority my suits are now getting on in age/style, I really, really need an update! Out of the eight I have, I’ll probably only keep maybe 2-3 of them.

Therefore, I would like to buy four new suits with a budget of between $500 - $1000 each.

The problem is even though I wear suits every day, because I’ve never really had to go out and buy my own suit, I have no idea what I’m doing!

I’m going to be getting my official measurements taken possibly today, so I’ll post them up. But I’m 5.10’ 190lb’s. I have an athletic build but with two kids and a desk job I also sport a beer belly :slayer:

I’ve been reading as much as I can on this great website and have narrowed it down to possibly buying two (Cheaper) suits from Suitsupply.com and two (more expensive) from Norstroms.

Nordstroms has a 35% off sale for around $1000 on a few Z Zegna suits which seem to be great quality and quite a few people recommend (over Boss).

I was then thinking about picking up a couple $600-$700 range suits from Suitsupply.com

I have colleagues that are recommending Indochino, but I’m going to stay away from them this round!

So I’m really looking for some advice on what style’s I should be looking at and if my thought process is on the right track so far??

I’d also like to know what your thoughts are on Suitsupply’s higher end “SUIT” line that’s in the $800-$1000 range and how would they compare to the Z Zegna?

Cheers boys!:D

Last edited:

bluesman528

Reaction score

I’d also like to know what your thoughts are on Suitsupply’s higher end “SUIT” line that’s in the $800-$1000 range and how would they compare to the Z Zegna?

I dare to say that all Suitsupply suits (with the possible exception of the Sevilla cut, sometimes used in their summer collection) are better made than Z Zegna, the "high-end" Suit-Up line with their Sienna and Jort cuts by far. Z Zegna is quite like the Boss mainline quality-wise. Price tags can be misleading if you do not know what makes the difference.

What mostly matters is fit though. You should try them on and compare by yourself.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Styles? Probably all single-breasted and all or mostly in the two-button style. (Advice might be different if based on pictures.) Navy, medium gray, dark gray, not black. Probably a subtle de facto pattern such as herringbone or houndstooth. Also, maybe an obvious pattern, such as striped or plaid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads