• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CLASSIC SUMMER HATS! Vintage Brooks Brothers Straw Hat, Dorian of S. Africa Safari Hat for Hunting W

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweedydon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some lovely classic summer hats to pass on today!

As always, I offer FREE SHIPPING IN THE USA; International inquries are welcome, with shipping at cost.

Also as always, ALL OFFERS ARE VERY WELCOME!

Please PM with interest and offers!

1) GENUINE Safari Hat by Dorian of South Africa for Hunting World of NYC.

SOLD

This is wonderful, and carries with it some interesting sartorial history. Hunting World--with its distinctive elephant logo--was started in New York in 1965 with the express aim of catering to the wealythy who ventured on real safaris in East Africa. As a result, nothing it sold was fashion-related; it was all functional, practical, and sourced from the best suppliers around. Given its focus on safari gear Hunting World used the term "safari" widely--which led to its being sued by Abercrombie and Fitch in 1971, who were then its main rival as a outdoor outfitter. (This is the OLD SCHOOL A&F, not the current mall iteration!) A&F charged that it owned the term safari, and Hunting World couldn't use it--a suit that Hunting World succesfully won!

So, this is a SAFARI hat, sold by Hunting World, and made by Dorian of South Africa--a hat maker appropriately familiar with the needs of big game hunting. This hat is this not a fashion verison of this iconic style, but the real thing; made from(I believe) wool felt, it features discrete ventilation holes in the crown, an interior sweatband, and a classic exterior band that is tightly looped. It has a small springbok pin in the band. Made in South Africa, this is an outstanding piece of kit in excellent condition, except for a smal smudge on the brim, as shown.

Sized at 7 3/8.

Asking just $45, or offer, boxed and shipped in the USA.

2) VINTAGE Brooks Brothers straw hat!

This is lovely, and exceptionally high quality; this hat appears to be artisanally handwoven, and the crown is exceptionally tight.... my suspicion as to how this was acheived (i.e., what sort of person did this) won't be repeated, but I'll just say that this is a vintage hat, and weaving of this fineness requires very, very small hands and fingers... Hats like this are now rarely made.

This has a leather interior sweatband, embossed with the Brooks logo, and the initial "R G K Jr". The weave throughout is exceptionally tight, and there are no loose ends of broken straws. It has a black, tightly woven hatband. This is a vintage hat, and so there's some very minor overcurve to the brim of the sort that would occur after a few wears; nothing that couldn't be easily re-shaped if you'd like. (This is shown in the third picture--yes, it's minor!) The band is raher dusty, but that's an easy fix. Overall, this is in Very Good condition.

No size tag, but the interior measures 21 3/4, so I could estimate it at around a US 7 1/8, or (more likely) slightly smaller.

Asking just $32, or offer, boxed and shipped in the USA.

3) NWT S. F. Green of San Franciso Panama Hat, made in Ecuador--as it should be!

SOLD

A classic panama hat made in Ecuador for S. F. Green of San Francisco, this is NEW with all of its tags intact. It has a loose patterned weave in the crown for ventilation, and a functional chin strap. This is stamped on the interior Ecuador, and is a genuine Panama hat.

Asking just $26, or offer, boxed and shipped.

Measures c.22" inside.

Attachments

• DSC08665.JPG
    DSC08665.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads