• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clarks Desert Boots

gastarbeider

Reaction score
surprised your old ones got to that state.

my old ones have gotten to the point that i can't wear them in the rain. the soes are so worn that it's like walking on ice.

trevorplease

Reaction score

was around $50 iirc for my local place to put vibrams on. kinda foolish to spend that much when you can get a new pair for a bit more, but I wanted to try it out.

where can i get these vibram soles? do i have to ship it to a certain place in the mainland?

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got them from my local guy. this is the sole. I'm sure if you brought a pic into your local place they can order it

Vcook

Reaction score

surprised your old ones got to that state.
my old ones have gotten to the point that i can't wear them in the rain. the soes are so worn that it's like walking on ice.

It's not that hard to wear them out. Sure they were sketchy when wet out, but the bigger problem was how wet my feet would get since the seems were all open and the soles paper thin. The new ones dont even feel like the same shoe, but they have no character yet either. I think I'm going to have to see about getting some vibrams on the old ones.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's not that hard to wear them out. Sure they were sketchy when wet out, but the bigger problem was how wet my feet would get since the seems were all open and the soles paper thin. The new ones dont even feel like the same shoe, but they have no character yet either. I think I'm going to have to see about getting some vibrams on the old ones.

+1.

Even when almost-new, DBs are a bit sketchy in the rain. I don't have problems walking on ice/in slippery situations, but if you have balance issues, then I'd wear something else when it looks like rain.

The real issue for me is that my socks get wet incredibly fast because the seams are now much more open than they were when the boots were new...and I think there is probably some seepage through the sole once it gets worn down enough.

jmaudi0

Reaction score
anybody have recommendations on what to treat suede desert boots with that won't change their color significantly or mess up the suede feel? i just got a pair of oakwood suede db's.

thanks.

grasp

Reaction score
i would want to get beeswax desert mali but only 8.5us available at the moment. I've tried on desert boot in size 8.5us, the length is fine but the width seems kinda snug. Just would want to know whether do beeswax stretch? I'm pretty stuck here whether should i get it. btw, I'm size 9 for chuck taylor all star.

grasp

Reaction score
i would want to get beeswax desert mali but only 8.5us available at the moment. I've tried on desert boot in size 8.5us, the length is fine but the width seems kinda snug. Just would want to know whether do beeswax stretch? I'm pretty stuck here whether should i get it. btw, I'm size 9 for chuck taylor all star.

oBMTo

Reaction score

Fill a zip lock bag half full of water, put in shoe, put shoe in freezer.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Fill a zip lock bag half full of water, put in shoe, put shoe in freezer.

Hmm...cool idea.

I wonder how well this would actually work since the soles are so soft...I would imagine the shoe would just deform (become more cylindrical) as the water expands instead of stretching.

What you really need is a shoe stretcher (kind of like a split shoe tree that lets you put some extra force behind it)...or just wear them for a bit. I seem to recall my beeswax DBs being a bit tight across the top at first and loosening up quickly.

marfarn

Reaction score
whats the best tip for waterproofing desert boots?
my pair are in beeswax leather and I'm sick of getting prune toes every time it rains! hahahah

grasp

Reaction score
Hmm...cool idea.
I wonder how well this would actually work since the soles are so soft...I would imagine the shoe would just deform (become more cylindrical) as the water expands instead of stretching.
What you really need is a shoe stretcher (kind of like a split shoe tree that lets you put some extra force behind it)...or just wear them for a bit. I seem to recall my beeswax DBs being a bit tight across the top at first and loosening up quickly.

thanks for all the great info!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads