• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cipher Shoes - England's Review

Englandmj7

Reaction score
I just posted this up on the "other" SF and figured there may be some people here interested as well.

I just got in a pair of Cipher's "El Commandante Stealths" from Cipher's "˜Urban Guerrilla' line and am very excited about them. I wanted to post a review seeing as there are a lot of people on here interested in up-and-coming brands that separate themselves through innovative differentiation and use of high quality materials.

As some of you probably know, Colin (username: Cipherman), who runs Cipher has been kind enough to post his designs up on Superfuture and has been extremely respectful and cool about receiving critiques/advice/compliments from members of the board. Unlike most other brands (*cough* t-shirt companies *cough*) who are recycling graphic prints, putting out boring non-cut & sew pieces, and the like, he has gotten a full-blown shoe line off the ground on his own. I believe he is based out of HK and has literally been on the floor overseeing the manufacturing of all of Cipher's products.

This particular model I got are made of a nice, thick-as-hell ballistic nylon. This material was originally developed as a material for flak jackets in WW2 and is used today in a lot of tactical combat gear (as well as luggage, jackets, etc.). It was also recently used on a popular model from the Vans Syndicate line. The Stealths feature a combination of butter soft leather / what seems to be nubuck leather inner and outer heel/ankle lining, and inner tongue lining. The rivets are tough as hell, as are the laces. I would imagine you could probably even use these as a skate shoe as they are very durable as well as comfortable and have a thick insole.

A lot of facets of the shoe were entirely handmade and it shows (in a good way). The camo pattern on the insole is screen printed by hand, the labels sewn by hand, and the toe seams hand stitched, for instance. The sole is stitched tightly through to the upper with heavy stitching, unlike many Nikes, etc. which are simply cemented and stitch detailing added to give the impression that they are stitched. This construction method makes them very sturdy; you can tell the sole isn't ever going anywhere on these.

This particular run was only 25 pairs, and they are hand numbered. One of the things I love about these are the little details that come out upon close examination, by-products of the handmade workmanship if you will. For instance, I noticed the bottom of each insole was hand-signed by Colin.

I think that fair comparisons can be drawn between this particular model and certain Visvim shoes in terms of quality / aesthetic. The difference with Cipher, however, is that you are getting a shoe of this caliber for a fraction of the price. If I recall correctly, the Stealths retailed for around $120. I also like that these are almost "˜boot-like' and remind me of Red Wings somewhat (with the toe stitching) as well. Definitely a versatile enough design to wear with most outfits. As a Visvim collector myself, I often use them as the pinnacle of high quality sneakers, and these are certainly on par.

Considering the small production volume, the excellent materials used, and the handiwork involved, I have no clue how these are being offered at this price. What I can deduce from that, however, is that Cipher is a brand that seems to care more about getting a quality product out than making a quick buck. It is also refreshing to see a new, young sneaker brand that isn't in the vein of overly colorful kicks a la Greedy Genius, JB Classics, Bape, and the like (if you are into that, so be it). I look forward to more updates from Cipher and definitely encourage other SF'ers to consider getting a pair, or at the very least, checking a pair out at their local shoe vendor when Cipher's brick & mortar presence grows.

The folks at Cipher were extremely helpful in answering all my questions, so I encourage you to contact them and check out some of their newer models here:

http://www.cipherism.com

Who knows; if they get enough business through us maybe we can have a hand in designing a "˜forum special' model? An affordable version of some FBT Shakers maybe?
wink.gif

Here are some pics (excuse the poor lighting, these are pitch black, not chocolate brown):

44k1llh.jpg

2roj5l1.jpg

34xl2k6.jpg

2ij6su0.jpg

47296ar.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions.........

Englandmj7

Reaction score
48ebqj4.jpg

2mys2g8.jpg

3zkwfol.jpg

Max

Reaction score
Holy ****, they did not just use a picture of the Days of Rage to sell shoes.

C1pherman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Max
Holy ****, they did not just use a picture of the Days of Rage to sell shoes.
well...is that totally sacriligious....? I'm an avid reader and student of underground counter-culture movements...hence the name of the particular shoe brand pictured...the urban guerrilla...and i can't think of another group of people other then...the BPP, malcolm X, Mohammed Ali etc that kinda wraps the idea I'm after for this particular shoe brand...if Neighborhood can use the black panthers on a rug...i can surely use the Weatherman as an "ad" on my site...the be honest...i figured no one would even know who they are...hahahahahahahahahah...one of the shoes that i made this season is aptly called the "weatherman" good lookin out man....and i'm glad there are some informed consumers out there!

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think it's rather funny.

i also prefer the up against the wall motherfuckers. scr8 anarchy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads