• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's Appreciation Thread

AWu

Reaction score
For recent Churchs products, based on my experiece:
- the sole quality is on par with C&J benchgrade with better fudging
- upper leather is generally in bewteen Loake 1880 & C&J benchgrade
- comfortable insole (to me one of the most comfortable in my collection among CJ, Loakes, EG...)

Not the best in overall quality but not that worse as the reputation it's got here

Stani777

Reaction score
The full grain leathers that Church's use for their main line are way better then leathers of Loake 1880 and Cheaney.
Church's 'Highland Grain' leather (used in Grafton, McPherson, McFarlane) is exactly the same leather from the same tannery (Annonay as I recall) that C&J uses in their iconic Coniston, Islay boots and many other models.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The full grain leathers that Church's use for their main line are way better then leathers of Loake 1880 and Cheaney.
Church's 'Highland Grain' leather (used in Grafton, McPherson, McFarlane) is exactly the same leather from the same tannery (Annonay as I recall) that C&J uses in their iconic Coniston, Islay boots and many other models.

Good to know, I really like the grain leather on my Coniston's.

From what I have seen Cheaney leathers seem superior to Loake 1880 but not 100% sure.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For recent Churchs products, based on my experiece:
- the sole quality is on par with C&J benchgrade with better fudging
- upper leather is generally in bewteen Loake 1880 & C&J benchgrade
- comfortable insole (to me one of the most comfortable in my collection among CJ, Loakes, EG...)

Not the best in overall quality but not that worse as the reputation it's got here

I would agree, the insole on my Grafton's is very comfortable.

The upper leather on mine is shell so superior to my own C&J benchgrade shoes.

rakuskus

Reaction score
IMG_20160103_125927.jpg

My chetwynd nevada calf.

Post Prada bought in bicester village outlet
mark as sub but they allow me to choose the best shoes from their stock.

I have to say, I can't find any defects from all of them until they told me whats wrong. most of the time its just small scartchs that could happen on your first wear.

rakuskus

Reaction score

Are you sure they are using annonay's? since cheaper brand like crown shoes and john white use them.

I own cheaney, church, and loake 1880. to be honest I could not tell bad and good full grain leather before tons of wear. From experience loake and church's leather need more regular conditioning, otherwise the part of the leather where it crease feel like it could crack. Cheaney leather feels more elastic, it's hard to explain but in simpler way its feels "stronger".

Just want to put this out there
I would much prefer shoes that have attractive last or model and fit well on me.
Full grain quality even among the same brand may vary because they are using different part of the hyde for each shoe.
Most of the time they will last as long as you need it to be if you give them PROPER CARE.

Stani777

Reaction score
Are you sure they are using annonay's? since cheaper brand like crown shoes and john white use them.
Most tanneries produce several sorts of leathers, quite a different in quality and price. I'm quite sure that both Church's and C&J use leather from Annonay amongst several other tanneries. In this specifically case, speaking from memory I did a mistake, my fault. The scotch grain that C&J uses comes from Du Puy, look at the article at the link below.

I'm quite sure that 'highland grain' that Church's use, comes from the same tannery. I have both C&J and Church's shoes in this leather and it feels and looks exactly the same, with exactly the same grain pattern.

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The biggest scandal out there today is the outrageous lie that Church’s shoes are inferior to other mid-tier quality shoe brands. They may be a bit more expensive, but the full grain leather shoes are excellent quality. Their lasts are elegant and the shoes are the most comfortable around. Give me a 173 last dress shoe from Church’s over a dress shoe put out by Crockett & Jones ANY day of the week.

AWu

Reaction score
View attachment 1290647 View attachment 1290646

My chetwynd nevada calf.

Post Prada bought in bicester village outlet
mark as sub but they allow me to choose the best shoes from their stock.

I have to say, I can't find any defects from all of them until they told me whats wrong. most of the time its just small scartchs that could happen on your first wear.
What's the cost now to get a pair at bicester village?

lexmann

Reaction score
The biggest scandal out there today is the outrageous lie that Church’s shoes are inferior to other mid-tier quality shoe brands. They may be a bit more expensive, but the full grain leather shoes are excellent quality. Their lasts are elegant and the shoes are the most comfortable around. Give me a 173 last dress shoe from Church’s over a dress shoe put out by Crockett & Jones ANY day of the week.
I have been wearing Church's (since 1997) and many other brands English Italian Spanish and I agree with mrjamescost.

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been wearing Church's (since 1997) and many other brands English Italian Spanish and I agree with mrjamescost.
I did mean to say 'other mid-tier quality ENGLISH shoe brands’. I cannot comment on others. I have no experience. But if you believe that to be the case, having owned many quality shoes from different countries over several decades, then Church’s must be fairly decent. What annoys me is that I was deceived by the same lie when I was first looking into quality dress shoes only a couple of years back (and so avoided a Church’s Outlet store only a few miles from where I live). So-called ‘shoe aficionados’ would have you believe that Church’s are a criminally overpriced, inferior rip-off that will fall apart in short order. That Church’s are living off a past reputation. Well, all I can say is, these people can keep on peddling their fibs. Because it means more offerings (at lower prices) for people like myself and others that have learned the truth, often learning through painful (expensive) experience.

Last edited:

lexmann

Reaction score
I did mean to say 'other mid-tier quality ENGLISH shoe brands’. I cannot comment on others. I have no experience. But if you believe that to be the case, having owned many quality shoes from different countries over several decades, then Church’s must be fairly decent. What annoys me is that I was deceived by the same lie when I was first looking into quality dress shoes only a couple of years back (and so avoided a Church’s Outlet store only a few miles from where I live). So-called ‘shoe aficionados’ would have you believe that Church’s are a criminally overpriced, inferior rip-off that will fall apart in short order. That Church’s are living off a past reputation. Well, all I can say is, these people can keep on peddling their fibs. Because it means more offerings (at lower prices) for people like myself and others that have learned the truth, often learning through painful (expensive) experience.
Why I bought a pair of Church's? When I was young I worked at FootLocker in Hong Kong. There was an Italian gentleman who visited Hong Kong on business trip quite often and he came the shop because his son wanted him to get Nike Air Max runners. This gentleman was in shoes manufacturing business in Italy. His feet were the same size as his son's so he just took the size that fitted him. He was wearing a pair of Church's diplomat when he tried on a pair of Nike Air Max runner for his son. So an Italian man making shoes in Italy but wears Church's. What does that tell you?
I also own a few pairs of C&J handgrades but still think Church's leather is better (custom grade or above). Italian Santoni also uses great leathers. Period.

Stani777

Reaction score
133G last gents, hows the fit? Is it shorter and larger(wider) then 173/136/155, do you wear the same size in those?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads