• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's Appreciation Thread

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had decided against getting some Grafton’s for the time being, after enquiring here about them.

Then I found these and couldn’t resist!

Very impressed with them so far, they are my first experience with shell cordovan and I really like the colour. Probably doesn’t really come across in photos properly. These were 2nd hand but barely used and in great shape.

I had been contemplating a pair of shell Shannon’s listed on eBay but missed out and then found these advertised and thought i’d give them a try. I had initially been interested in the grain Grafton’s but I have long fancied some shell. They are subs but I can’t find any obvious problems with them.

View attachment 1208695 View attachment 1208696 View attachment 1208697
Congrats! I have the same shoe, these shoes give me the "I am here, and my shoes are impressive" vibe.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats! I have the same shoe, these shoes give me the "I am here, and my shoes are impressive" vibe.

Thanks!
I have to agree, they are very impressive in my opinion.

I love the colour and how it changes in different lights and they definitely feel like they’re built to last.

The fit is quite snug but I feel like they’ll be fine and seem very comfortable initially. I hope this feeling lasts.

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had decided against getting some Grafton’s for the time being, after enquiring here about them.

Then I found these and couldn’t resist!

Very impressed with them so far, they are my first experience with shell cordovan and I really like the colour. Probably doesn’t really come across in photos properly. These were 2nd hand but barely used and in great shape.

I had been contemplating a pair of shell Shannon’s listed on eBay but missed out and then found these advertised and thought i’d give them a try. I had initially been interested in the grain Grafton’s but I have long fancied some shell. They are subs but I can’t find any obvious problems with them.

View attachment 1208695 View attachment 1208696 View attachment 1208697
Looks like you got yourself a cracker.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like you got yourself a cracker.

Thanks, I’m really pleased with them. I really wanted a plain toe derby next but these are so nice I couldn’t resist.

I have contemplated letting one of my other brogues go but can’t decide which, so I’ll leave it for now.

I know you really rate your Church’s shoes and I have to agree based on these. Construction seems very good, easily the equal or even slightly better than my other shoes and boots. It’s early days yet but they also feel very comfortable.

corgi invasion

Reaction score
As well as fit I would also be interested to hear people’s opinions on Grafton’s. They seem to be one of Church’s classic models and very sturdy which appeals to me.

It is a model I had been unaware of until very recently.
although fit is such an individual thing, if you see some NOS #73 last graftons going cheap somewhere, e.g. ebay, take a chance on them, true to size, and probably more forgiving than many other lasts, hence their reputation. In my particular case, the G fitting 73 is perfect, a little wider than the CJ325, less wide than 4497.
fullsizeoutput_12c4.jpeg

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a pair of Macfarlane 2’s on sale.

Comfy boots and hardwearing. Made with highland-grain calf. Booklet says it’s polished binder, but looks more like waxed calf. Either way, very happy with the purchase!

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a pair of Macfarlane 2’s on sale.

Comfy boots and hardwearing. Made with highland-grain calf. Booklet says it’s polished binder, but looks more like waxed calf. Either way, very happy with the purchase!

View attachment 1214603

View attachment 1214604

They look great. You don’t see much like that from Church’s these days.

Definitely not polished binder, more like pebble grain (scotch grain) or even black zug.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
although fit is such an individual thing, if you see some NOS #73 last graftons going cheap somewhere, e.g. ebay, take a chance on them, true to size, and probably more forgiving than many other lasts, hence their reputation. In my particular case, the G fitting 73 is perfect, a little wider than the CJ325, less wide than 4497. View attachment 1213472

Thanks, I like the look of those Grafton’s.

I believe mine are 173 last but they feel almost perfect on my feet. Very pleased with them.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not the best picture, showing my (only) pair of Church's: Model is 'Buck', a suede full brogue. It is the the 73 last, size 85F -- stamp inside the shoe says it is 'Real Cape Buck'. 85F (8.5) is my usual size and these fit pretty well.
Bought them second-hand, and have no clue about the shoes' age. No blemishes whatsoever, and the uppers are in good condition; some cleaning may be needed. Soles are still original, though getting a bit thin (usual wear of course). In any case, really happy with these for the more smart-casual days, after some disappointing experiences with full brogue suede shoes of other makes, and hope to wear them more often.

View attachment 1177493
Famous shoes. Premium suede from springbok I believe.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look great. You don’t see much like that from Church’s these days.

Definitely not polished binder, more like pebble grain (scotch grain) or even black zug.

Thanks! Pleasantly surprised to find this model.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

Just an fyi that I'm closet cleaning and selling a pair of NIB Church's wingtips in 7.5UK/8.5US, here:

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got the extra pair of Brand New in Box Church's Chetwynd in Burgundy Calf, size UK 9 US 10 . These are marked as "S" for no reason.

The Church's web shop price is~ $800.

Price for Styleforum members = $270+ shipping to your location via Paypal.

Attachments

• chrchs3.png
    chrchs3.png
    244.7 KB · Views: 66
  • churchs.jpg
    churchs.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 81
  • churchs2.png
    churchs2.png
    245.7 KB · Views: 524

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some six eyelet Chetwynds I thrifted in my size a while ago.
84F8DE2D-C3F2-4EAE-A7DD-BDFDCBFDB97C.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads