• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's Appreciation Thread

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really enjoy polishing shoes. It's quite therapeutic, especially with a couple of glasses of wine!

Not Church's, but the polish while you drink philosophy holds true.

B354qv.jpg

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was willing and did pay the original price, not because I thought Church's shoes were not overpriced, but because my opinion is they were only slightly overpriced here in the UK, and are very good shoes. Better quality than C&J ( though I love C&J). But certainly I wouldn't dream of paying the new prices.
I also agree that Church’s are better than Crockett & Jones. I have been a bit of a champion for the brand these past couple of years. However, this latest development has left me feeling less than enthusiastic about saying nice things about Church’s. How can I justify trying to persuade family members, friends and acquaintances to ‘buy quality that is ethical and lasts’ with these kind of prices? Even if they opt for the ‘Outlet’ offerings, what kind of prices are we looking at there? I can just see the look of embarrassment on the store assistants face.

PairOfDerby's

Reaction score
I also agree that Church’s are better than Crockett & Jones. I have been a bit of a champion for the brand these past couple of years. However, this latest development has left me feeling less than enthusiastic about saying nice things about Church’s. How can I justify trying to persuade family members, friends and acquaintances to ‘buy quality that is ethical and lasts’ with these kind of prices? Even if they opt for the ‘Outlet’ offerings, what kind of prices are we looking at there? I can just see the look of embarrassment on the store assistants face.
Couldn't agree more. I may move over to Trickers.

Isiah Tongue

Reaction score
I have been moving towards Trickers and Cheaney over the past 18months. Ideally I would like to wear CJ but I find that their lasts are all narrow E width and they offer only limited models in F or G width.

I will be buying the Cheaney equivalent of the Consul, Diplomat and Chetwynd for half the price of church's but not half the quality.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been moving towards Trickers and Cheaney over the past 18months. Ideally I would like to wear CJ but I find that their lasts are all narrow E width and they offer only limited models in F or G width.

I will be buying the Cheaney equivalent of the Consul, Diplomat and Chetwynd for half the price of church's but not half the quality.

The Cheaney Alfred is a great alternative for the Consul. I was looking for a very dark brown Consul but couldn't find them, so Cheaney Alfred where the option and I am happy with them.

IMG_8213.JPG
IMG_8220.JPG

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind seeing a side by side comparison with the Consul, please... :)

Hello @mrjamescost

Here you have some side by side pictures. Both sold by Herrings, always wonderful service.

Last: Consul 173 / Alfred 125
Size: Both 10.5 UK F
Alfred: Brown
Consul: Black

- The Alfred has more "vertical space" in the toebox than the Consul
- The Alfred is a tad wider on vamp, where the eyelets start.

Both fit me great. I hope these pics help.

IMG_5441.JPG
IMG_5442.JPG
IMG_5443.JPG
IMG_5444.JPG
IMG_5445.JPG
IMG_5446.JPG

Last edited:

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello @mrjamescost

Here you have some side by side pictures. Both sold by Herrings, always wonderful service.

Last: Consul 173 / Alfred 125
Size: Both 10.5 UK F
Alfred: Brown
Consul: Black

- The Alfred has more "vertical space" in the toebox than the Consul
- The Alfred is a tad wider on vamp, where the eyelets start.

Both fit me great. I hope these pics help.

View attachment 1603235 View attachment 1603237 View attachment 1603238 View attachment 1603241 View attachment 1603243 View attachment 1603244
Excellent! Very instructive, Juan Manuel. I wish people did more side by side comparisons with pix when discussing alternatives. It is as I anticipated, the Church's seems a little sleeker, a little more "City" ( no knock on the Cheaney, the models are consistent with my perception of the brands' respective styles).

Isiah Tongue

Reaction score
A few years ago, someone senior in Cheaney Management told me that the Cheaney 125 last is an old Church's last, close to the original 73 last in terms of fit. Having never had a 73 last I've never been able to make the comparison

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few years ago, someone senior in Cheaney Management told me that the Cheaney 125 last is an old Church's last, close to the original 73 last in terms of fit. Having never had a 73 last I've never been able to make the comparison
According to their website, the Cheaney's 125 last was developed in 2011 to coincide with their 125 anniversary:

1534844779-10977600.png

Last edited:

PairOfDerby's

Reaction score
I have a pair on the 73 last but no Cheaney 125. The 73 last is a lot less elongated than the 173 with a rounder toe.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen,

I need advice woth the last 103. I own 173 and 100 but not 103. Your advice will be apprecited.

Regards

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads