• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chukka dilemma

Stack

Reaction score
Hi all,

In need of some tough, not too expensive, easy clean, smart, black leather footwear for work in winter. It's a smartish dress office environment but the job occasionally means going outdoors in all weathers at short notice.

With that, I've pretty much decided on a pair of Loake Kemptons with the rubber sole. They seem to tick all the boxes, and the pics look like they won't make my size 12 feet took too bulky.

I know there's not a lot of Loake love on this forum but most guys seem to be cool with the 1880 range.

Here is my (possible silly) problem:

Herring Gosforth II: Identical as far as I can see, and £15 cheaper. I've never dealt with either company, and I've read more good things about Herring than I have about Loake.

Would I be missing out on anything other than the Loake insole? Is there no chance of getting Loake's seconds? How does their service, and after-sales service, compare?

Also:

Before the chukka thing, I bought a pair of CT Alnwick shoes for this purpose - http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/men's-sho...ole-shoes?q=gbpdefault||ML127BLK|||||||||||||

I think these are also made my Loake, but perusing old threads on the subject of CT shoes is what made me question my decision in the first place. I can still send them back, so please let me know whether you think my rethink on this is taking me in the right direction. Quality aside, they're fairly sleek but may still be looking a bit like policeman shoes. Opinions welcome.

To be honest, I'd prefer an Oxford, but a high instep and need for a rubber sole doesn't seem to leave me with any options there.

By all means weigh in on the chukka/derby with a suit debate as well!

Best wishes

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking for a pair of dressy Chukkas for a while. I have looked at few different options. RL Saunders and Loake Kempton was my first 2 choice. RL Saunders are quite expensive options($500+). But I found them on sale on amazon.
I bought these –
http://www.amazon.com/Ralph-Lauren-Mens-Saunders-Lace-Up/dp/B0041KJYX4

They are really sleek. Flawless as most RL shoes. Made in usa by AE. They looks 10 times better in real life and Loake Kempton are not even in the same league as them. Just keep in mind they are narrow as. Even thou they are marked as D they are more of a B. I have sized up from 8D to 8.5D on these pair. And guess what they are still too tight on my toes.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was looking for a pair of dressy Chukkas for a while. I have looked at few different options. RL Saunders and Loake Kempton was my first 2 choice. RL Saunders are quite expensive options($500+). But I found them on sale on amazon.
I bought these –
http://www.amazon.com/Ralph-Lauren-Mens-Saunders-Lace-Up/dp/B0041KJYX4
They are really sleek. Flawless as most RL shoes. Made in usa by AE. They looks 10 times better in real life and Loake Kempton are not even in the same league as them. Just keep in mind they are narrow as. Even thou they are marked as D they are more of a B. I have sized up from 8D to 8.5D on these pair. And guess what they are still too tight on my toes.

very good price for the Saunders

jmills

Reaction score
Loake actually makes a lot of shoes for Herring, and they're quite open about it. Write to either Herring or Loake and ask who makes that particular boot before you go any further.

Their stuff is good quality for the price and I'd encourage you to go for it.

Last edited:

Stack

Reaction score
The response from Herring said:

"These two are the same and both made on the same last shapes at the Loakes factory."

So that's good.

The shoes MD2010 posted look great, but I'm really after black with a rubber sole. But I had no idea that RL shoes had such a good rep. Do they manufacture their own?

labravajazz

Reaction score
If its any use to you I have a pair of

kempton 1880 in black worn about 3-4 times in 11F

I don''t need them and happy to sell them, but I'm out of town till end of the week so can't do photos etc till then

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The response from Herring said:
"These two are the same and both made on the same last shapes at the Loakes factory."
So that's good.
The shoes MD2010 posted look great, but I'm really after black with a rubber sole. But I had no idea that RL shoes had such a good rep. [COLOR=FF00AA]Do they manufacture their own[/COLOR]?

Rl shoes those are made in USA made by Allen Edmonds. But they use better quality leather(than AE) and have their own last(narrow as). Finish on them are flawless. When on sale really good value.
RL Marlow range made by c&j and RLPL made by EG.

Stack

Reaction score
Aw man, i'm a size 12- rubbish! Thanks for the offer though.

The RL shoes sound great, but as I'm on the wider side I think I'd struggle. I get the impression designer brands want their clothes to look their absolute best, and so manufacture only in the sizes they think look good. If they don't fit you, they don't want you to be seen in their labels anyway!

Anyone got any thoughts on chukkas with suits? I know Tom Ford and Daniel Craig have done it so it's fine right now, but what about in the long term?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics