• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christmas Trees

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It will be real. We don't go for artificial around here.

It won't be put in the house and decorated until Christmas Eve. Putting up a tree before that time is style without content ... after all ... Christmas doesn't begin until the eve before 25 December.

It will stay up the twelve days of Christmas ... until 6 January.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
It will be real. We don't go for artificial around here.

It won't be put in the house and decorated until Christmas Eve. Putting up a tree before that time is style without content ... after all ... Christmas doesn't begin until the eve before 25 December.

It will stay up the twelve days of Christmas ... until 6 January.

We used to do this - I really liked it. In fact, when we were kids, our parents would put up the entire tree and lay out all the gifts while we were sleeping - and claim that Santa had done it. It was pretty cool in the 2-3 years after they brought me into the fold but my brother was still young enough to believe and I got to help. A nice little family tradition.

But now, with holiday parties and the like, we put it up early. We've sort of fallen into a slot with our friends of hosting the second Saturday in December, it doesn't conflict with anyone, and everyone knows to keep it clear. So what are we going to do? Not have a tree for the holiday party?

We bought and put up a Fraser Fir last night. It's a little shorter than it looked but it's nice and fat and dense. The house smells great.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
But now, with holiday parties and the like, we put it up early. We've sort of fallen into a slot with our friends of hosting the second Saturday in December, it doesn't conflict with anyone, and everyone knows to keep it clear. So what are we going to do? Not have a tree for the holiday party?
When I was a child ... people exchanged wrapped gifts ... "Santa" brought toys (only for children) and set them out around the Living Room. The tree was put together by the entire family ... late in the afternoon on Christmas Eve. The wrapped gifts were opened on Christmas Eve ... then Santa did his thing overnight as we slept.

As for Holiday parties... we'll attend the various and sundry pre-Christmas parties ... but we give ours during the Twelve Days ... on Boxing Day ... 26 December. We reserve Christmas Eve and Day for family and close friends ... then a wider circle of friends are invited for the Boxing Day party ... and again on New Year's Eve ... which is still during Christmastide.

We do our best to keep Advent season quiet ... with a degree of anticipation. Long ago we decided not to give into the "gotta have it now" mentality ... and go with the appointed time rather than jump the gun. In fact, I did all of my Christmas shopping long ago ... so I can mostly avoid the frantic rush of the prematuredly decorated retail establishments.

Avocat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
I always cut my own down. There's a lot of good areas where I live.
+1 Always real for me, too, Suited. And yours is a great idea, LR. Going on a trip to a tree farm as a family to cut down our own tree and enjoy some farm activities and hot apple cider, etc. with the kids this year. It should be fun, I think.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Yeah that's the only reason. It couldn't be allergies or anything rational.

LULZ Good call. I keep the antihistamine industry in business during the 4 weeks I have a tree.

I always go to Home Depot and get a Noble Fir there. They're cheap, you can see the tree before they re-bundle it for you, and there's a high turnover of them.

I have the Jack-Post tree stand:

1PzxaExpE2Bip0Q8X0dKdD5X5-6WuWBl2a6EhgMhGPnW_2k9fSGjB2fKCHVvOYSEmMFSSNAorYuHYvnh_O_6WHvTKIgMGZJj4YePbggj83Oike8M0Mh4kc6yNWcyhcdPeIG4Ym6508JRRSa6K8e2Sieoj-Qj-guZcu-aRx-kWYapIg

It's cast iron, has a large reservoir, and extremely stable. I believe the opening diameter is about 8".

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
I have the Jack-Post tree stand:

1PzxaExpE2Bip0Q8X0dKdD5X5-6WuWBl2a6EhgMhGPnW_2k9fSGjB2fKCHVvOYSEmMFSSNAorYuHYvnh_O_6WHvTKIgMGZJj4YePbggj83Oike8M0Mh4kc6yNWcyhcdPeIG4Ym6508JRRSa6K8e2Sieoj-Qj-guZcu-aRx-kWYapIg

It's cast iron, has a large reservoir, and extremely stable. I believe the opening diameter is about 8".

Those are really nice, they're beautiful and feel substantial.

We did once have a tree fall over in one, though. I'm not sure what happened. We might have gotten a bigger tree than it was rated for.

Today, I use one of these. I really like it - the reservoir holds some water, and it holds our trees very steadily and evenly.

51kv6VMBhlL._SS500_.jpg

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
nice!

when we move, we'll have a space for a big-ass tree, but I still can't imagine myself going past 14'.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oops, I've just been told that we may spend Christmas "at sea" this year ... so that may mean a shorter tree.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads