• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheapest "wearable" alternative to alden captoe/ wingtip boot?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Souper
I am a fan of the alden boots that fit the above styles, but am not really able to drop 400-$500 at the moment. What are some chaep alternatives that I may not have seen before?

I've looked at loake, grenson etc., My ideal price range (perhaps unachievable) is about $150.

probably the cheapest option the AE Andover (cap-toe lace-up boot with commando sole and i think speed lacers) or the AE Compton in addition to the Brantley mentioned above - it can be had for less than $100 if you're lucky. I had it in both brown and black, but never like the way it fitted over my ankles, so i ended up flipping them on ebay.

the only problem is the supply - i don't think they've made these for some time. i bought mine back in 2002-2004, flipped them in 05 or 06.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a pair of 9D AE Brantleys on ebay right now. Tan. It's a captoe balmoral and not a blucher though.

phaseshift

Reaction score
old thread I know, but I didn't want to start another thread.

Any new alternatives out there, preferrably 200-300? Dark Burgandy

hnlax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phaseshift
old thread I know, but I didn't want to start another thread.

Any new alternatives out there, preferrably 200-300? Dark Burgandy

Grenson sharp from pediwear...exactly what I got or christmas from
my girlfriend, in a burgundy

phaseshift

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hnlax
Grenson sharp from pediwear...exactly what I got or christmas from
my girlfriend, in a burgundy

are you from the US or UK? any US sites carry the Grenson Sharp?

hnlax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phaseshift
are you from the US or UK? any US sites carry the Grenson Sharp?

From the US.

There aren't many US stores with grenson, and the ones I saw that did carry them were charging 100 bucks more than pediwear. All in all, I think my girlfriend paid $251 shipped for the grensons from pediwear, and this included some waxes/polishes for the boots

phaseshift

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hnlax
From the US. There aren't many US stores with grenson, and the ones I saw that did carry them were charging 100 bucks more than pediwear. All in all, I think my girlfriend paid $251 shipped for the grensons from pediwear, and this included some waxes/polishes for the boots
do you have any pics of the boots? Im guessing its the Burgundy Burnished, how's the sizing compared to LL Beans or Clarks DB?

RayROnline

Reaction score
I just got Staci Adams yesterday (by mail) and I have never been more disappointed. Thin, lightweight leather, the finish on the outside seems like it wants to start cracking already. It has been worn 1 time and is laready creasing strangely. I will NEVER buy another pair. Seeing the lack of quality, I immediately coated the shoes with Picards Leather Cream to soften and protect the leather. I did it again this evening after taking them off. The only good thing about these shoes is the look/style. They have that early 1900's feel. Too bad they won't last. Guess I'm going to have to buy Aldens.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics