• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Tyrwhitt's Oversized French Cuffs

rjc149

Reaction score
I posted another thread a while back about how happy I am with CT's non-iron twill dress shirts for office wear, particularly at the price point.

I now own 6 CT dress shirts (spending $198 total), two of which are French cuffed. I like French cuffs since cufflinks add another dimension of the outfit and there's no buttons to wear out. In my industry sprezzatura is more acceptable, and the no-tie French cuff look is almost becoming an unspoken dress code.

However, one sticking point with the CT French cuffs is that they are quite large and bulky -- noticeably more so than any of my other French cuffed shirts. They are out of proportion with the shirt. They snag when putting on or taking off a suit jacket, and essentially form the jacket cuffs into bell-bottoms when wearing them.

My suits are mostly bespoke with working buttons (which I wear with one button undone on each sleeve), but I don't see undoing another button as a "solution."

Anyone concur here? Can this be "corrected" by a tailor, or do I simply avoid CT's French cuffs from now on?

WhereNext

Reaction score
This is one of the main fit issues (as opposed to style, choice of cloth, etc.) that sent me the MTM/bespoke/custom route for my shirts. I found a lot of French cuffs to be too bulky and/or too loose around my wrists; with a button cuff, you can at least address the latter, but short of having new cuffs made, there's not much else to be done about the former (I did have one shirt I liked re-fitted with white cuffs and collars so I could keep wearing it).

rjc149

Reaction score
This is one of the main fit issues (as opposed to style, choice of cloth, etc.) that sent me the MTM/bespoke/custom route for my shirts. I found a lot of French cuffs to be too bulky and/or too loose around my wrists; with a button cuff, you can at least address the latter, but short of having new cuffs made, there's not much else to be done about the former (I did have one shirt I liked re-fitted with white cuffs and collars so I could keep wearing it).
I also dabbled with bespoke shirts, but I've come to realize that daily-wear white dress shirts are consumables that need replacement every few years. Since they are worn almost entirely at my desk, the superior fit doesn't quite justify the higher up-front and replacement cost of the shirt.

Which I realize then begs the question -- if the shirts are just disposable cubicle wear, why do I care how the French cuffs look? Well, I suppose I don't, all that much. Yes, I suspected "correcting" the French cuffs would mean replacing them. That's the advantage of a $33 dress shirt -- yellow collar stains, ripped elbows, frayed cuffs, ketchup stains, oversized French cuffs -- it's not a big deal :)

I was also considering cuffing them in the barrel style rather than the standard kissing style, but then there's a bit of metal from the cufflink potentially scratching my watch bracelet. Those silk knot links are a freaking pain to put on and take off, especially if I want to roll my sleeves up.

rjc149

Reaction score
So to update, I realized that because the CT non-iron shirts do not shrink to any appreciable degree that I've noticed in 2 launders, the 33-inch sleeves were too long.

CT's return policy made exchanging the whole lot of 6 shirts -- including the 2 French cuffed -- quite easy. I brought the shirts in, and they gave me a new set of 6 with 32 inch sleeves. It was a 5 minute process. I made sure to forgo the French cuffs this time. All 6 are barrel cuffed, so, I no longer have this issue ?

To add, I was informed that CT donates all shirts that are returned. Furthermore, they will donate any old dress shirt you bring, regardless of brand, and will give you a $10 rebate per shirt on any non-promotionally priced item at CT.

So good feelings all around with CT at this point. Let's see how the shirts hold up over time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads