• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charcoal = Navy?

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
I have an upcoming final for a Trial Techniques class that I will need to be suited up for. I have a solid navy and a charcoal pinstripe. Is there any reason why someone would suggest one over the other?

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you want us to take the test for you. Ever consider that the instructor wants you to wear what is most effective at trial? I find it hard to believe you did not go over this in class.
rolleyes.gif

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BoomDiggs
I have an upcoming final for a Trial Techniques class that I will need to be suited up for. I have a solid navy and a charcoal pinstripe. Is there any reason why someone would suggest one over the other?

I would go Navy.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd think either one would work well. Wear the one that you like better.

Mr. Caber

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
Ever consider that the instructor wants you to wear what is most effective at trial?

No. Presentation must trump appearance. If the jury is distracted by your suit (even positively) that's bad.
Go charcoal.

DoubleDomer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Caber
No. Presentation must trump appearance. If the jury is distracted by your suit (even positively) that's bad.
Go charcoal.

i would say charcoal if it were solid. but, some pinstripes can be louder than others.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
charcoal comes in lighter and darker tones.. this color is for all purpose events.

navy pinstripe seems more professional?

beau nash

Reaction score
See if your LS library has a copy of Starr and McCormick on jury selection. The original edition has some information, admittedly from the late 70s, on how different groups respond to different colors. IIRC, solid navy works well for everyone, unless you tend to come on too strong and need to tone it down. If that is the case, though, charcoal pinstripes are worse. Starr also thinks that working class jurors react negatively to pinstripes on lawyers. Not sure I actually agree, but since it is for a trial techniques class, you might follow their advice.

Each year's update, BTW, has an updated discussion of colors, not just neutrals but colors for accessories as well. You might find it interesting.

larsrindsig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by beau nash
Starr and McCormick on jury selection.

That sounds like it would be a relevant read to lots of people outside the law profession who either sell things or give presentations. I looked it up on Amazon but I'm not paying $260 (that search did bring up Maureen McCormick's autobiography - mmmmmm, Marcia!). It appears to be available on Google Books, however, though some bits may not be included for free.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My gut says solid, so go with the Navy. I think pinstripes can be distracting to some and are associated with bankers. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
If they stripes are quiet, go with whichever one fits you better or that you like better. If the stripes are bold, go with navy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads