• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Change in Prices of Clothes

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's going on? I feel like the prices of clothes have increased dramatically in the past couple of years. Even "cheap" clothes aren't even cheap anymore. I was in Nordstrom waiting for someone to get out of the bathroom and I took a look at one of their never heard before brand dress shirts made in china and it was like $160. Ralph Lauren signature and older Purple Label were nowhere near the current prices. Am I wrong here?

jc4jax

Reaction score
My guess would be inflation due to drop in value of the US dollar. Cost of commodities and supplies would increase since the purchasing power has decreased and the cost is passed along to the consumer.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My guess would be inflation due to drop in value of the US dollar. Cost of commodities and supplies would increase since the purchasing power has decreased and the cost is passed along to the consumer.

I don't think it's inflation or the change in currency value, because prices are sometimes double what they used to be. One thing that could be affecting it is the cost of materials, but I still think the change in prices is blown out of proportion.

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prices of many commodities have spiked over the past couple of years, feuled in part by speculators.

Here are charts for cotton & wool over the past ten years:

jc4jax

Reaction score
In addition to inflation, the slowdown (once again) in various global economies can cause the manufacturers to reduce inventory due to sales forecasts which can cause prices to go up. Its very likely a combination of factors but I don't anticipate a sudden price drop anytime soon. My two cents.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

In addition to inflation, the slowdown (once again) in various global economies can cause the manufacturers to reduce inventory due to sales forecasts which can cause prices to go up. Its very likely a combination of factors but I don't anticipate a sudden price drop anytime soon. My two cents.

Doesn't seem to make sense...fall in demand ==> lower prices. I guess I could imagine a situation where the demand curve facing a monopolist decreases everywhere but the monopolist's price rises. But there seems to be enough competition in the clothing market to prevent this.

Thrifter

Reaction score
I think that to the average consumer high price = high quality. They're trying to price their wares up into the 'luxury' market.

brokencycle

Reaction score

Doesn't seem to make sense...fall in demand ==> lower prices. I guess I could imagine a situation where the demand curve facing a monopolist decreases everywhere but the monopolist's price rises. But there seems to be enough competition in the clothing market to prevent this.

No, it is an expected decrease demand, so they decrease supply. I've read that many luxury companies are intentionally cutting their inventories by more than the expected demand loss to ensure less discounting at the end of the season.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

No, it is an expected decrease demand, so they decrease supply. I've read that many luxury companies are intentionally cutting their inventories by more than the expected demand loss to ensure less discounting at the end of the season.

But the question is about the increase in prices, not the decrease in supply. And the question was seemingly about retail price, not availability or price of discounted items.

coffeecupman

Reaction score
My main hobby is exotic high end audio systems.

Same thing happened there. The run up of prices for high end stereo gear in the last 10 years has been kind of unbelievable.

High end goods are at the end of their leash, though, and I assume that luxury clothing is too. There's only so much you can raise prices before the majority of people start to say "yeah, I'll stick with what I've got". I think a lot of Americans have gone into "brace for impact" mode. Americans are gathering in the tens-of-thousands to protest the polarization of wealth. That's kind of significant.

Naturally there are people who are so rich they will never have to sweat high prices. But that group of people is concentrating into a smaller number. Not really enough to float entire luxury industries.

It's one of the consequences of the polarization of wealth in the first world. When you eliminate the middle class, you eliminate a large part of the support for luxury markets. Which slows development of luxury goods, and ultimately impedes selection.

Right now they're holding it together with bigger margins, but it won't be long until the public just says no thanks.

ccm

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a time when the dollar was worth something on the international market. Now I can get $1.65 for each £1. Back when £1 = $1 and there was no Euro, prices were stable across the world. One would expect a 65% rise since ~2000 on imported goods in the US.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I see there being a few interacting effects, some of which have been already touched upon in this thread. I'm not an economist, but this is my intuitive sense of the psychological patterns at play,..

Firstly, yes, the raw materials have gone up in cost, largely because it's increasingly impossible to import deflation from cheap Asian economies. This matters for supermarket clothes and other lower-end outlets. The mid-market should theoretically be able to finesse this problem away by altering the mix of items in the shop (eg. fewer cheap basic Ts, more value-added collared shirts). Upper-end, it only makes an incremental difference to the total cost, so can't really be the reason for the major price inflation in this segment.

More importantly, there is an increasing polarisation of the shopper into either a "bargain" or a "luxury" mentality, which in turn, forces the same polarisation onto shops/brands. You either cater to the lower end, or the higher end. The seeds for this polarisation were sown during the credit boom, when everyone with a little bit of money thought they could live like they had a lot of money, but the impact of it is really being felt now, when those with a little bit of money have become those with no money. Mid-market brands get squeezed from both ends and suffer, leading them to opt to differentiate themselves by moving in one direction or the other. When money was freely available, the mid-market could just about struggle on, but now their model is really suffering. Even in the supermarket world, Tesco in the UK are feeling pressure for the even more low-end places like Lidl (from what I hear about the US, the same dynamic is happening between WalMart and Dollar General). Finally, if you want to attract the luxury shopper, you need to brand yourself as a luxury destination, which in turn leads to an upwards price pressure as many of these shoppers will have a "you get what you pay for" mentality.

Last edited:

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not mentioned is the discount mentality. Just look at some of the people here that will only buy things on discount. If you know you'll need to discount to attract customers you hike the full price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads