• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Not bad Axel but get a spray bottle for when you iron your shirts to smooth out those collars.

Yea, my shirts from Geneva all seem to have this issue whereas none of my CEGO shirts do. I am not sure if it has to do with the fabric which was sourced from Tip Top, the completely unlined collars or something about the way Geneva cuts the cloth.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Axelman 17
Yea, my shirts from Geneva all seem to have this issue whereas none of my CEGO shirts do. I am not sure if it has to do with the fabric which was sourced from Tip Top, the completely unlined collars or something about the way Geneva cuts the cloth.

I think unlined collars are one of those things that every igent swears by, but that don't really work for everyone. I moved away from them.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I think unlined collars are one of those things that every igent swears by, but that don't really work for everyone. I moved away from them.

+1

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I don't get unliked collars except for beefy oxfords. My collars are lined with a soft interlining and not fused. I don't have that wrinkle problem.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That collar looks thick to be unlined. Are you sure? The excess fabric over the topstitching is usually a problem with lined collars where the interfacing shrinks more than the shirting. Maybe the seams have puckered a little or something.

What you need to do is gently stretch the collar when the shirt is still wet, let it hang dry, then iron the points from the outside in.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
What you need to do is gently stretch the collar when the shirt is still wet, let it hang dry, then iron the points from the outside in.

+1 This has worked well for me.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I don't get unliked collars except for beefy oxfords. My collars are lined with a soft interlining and not fused. I don't have that wrinkle problem.

My test shirt from hamilton is built this way... the cleaners struggle with it and I have to touch up the collar a bit. Part of the issue is probably that the cloth is a royal oxford with a little looser weave.

elgreco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
the cloth is a royal oxford with a little loser weave.

You're big time enough that you shouldn't be buying shirts with loser weaves!

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My test shirt from hamilton is built this way... the cleaners struggle with it and I have to touch up the collar a bit. Part of the issue is probably that the cloth is a royal oxford with a little loser weave.

The cleaners destroyed the collar on my Hamilton test shirt, I ended up having a new collar put on it. I got so spooked that for the next few months I laundered and ironed the damn shirts myself, which was luxurious but a pain **********. Now I use a world class dry cleaner that offers hand finishing at $9 per, which is riduclous, but my time is worth a lot more than that. It's difficult to own anything nice these days unless you are willing to care for the items yourself.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
The cleaners destroyed the collar on my Hamilton test shirt, I ended up having a new collar put on it. I got so spooked that for the next few months I laundered and ironed the damn shirts myself, which was luxurious but a pain **********. Now I use a world class dry cleaner that offers hand finishing at $9 per, which is riduclous, but my time is worth a lot more than that. It's difficult to own anything nice these days unless you are willing to care for the items yourself.

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaller!!

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)

Glad to hear it wasn't just me... and I have a prety good cleaner but they probably just dunno what to do with it.

that said- we had a "talking to" recently since the shirts are hand-pressed and shouldn't leave their hands creased.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear it wasn't just me... and I have a prety good cleaner but they probably just dunno what to do with it.

that said- we had a "talking to" recently since the shirts are hand-pressed and shouldn't leave their hands creased.

Yeah, it was pretty heartbreaking to see that first one all creased up on the edges. These new folks do an amazing job, but I still inspect the collars and cuffs of each shirt right there in the store when I pick them up. I'm sure they think I'm nuts but I want them to know that I'm serious about this. LOL

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads