• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Haven't been paying as much attention to the thread as I should, but can a peak lapel SB suit be considered conservative business dress? If not, what other features that are somewhat common would DQ a suit, or at least make it questionable?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dressed a bit more soberly than usual, as teaching today, so x-posting to this thread:
Db2Dq.jpg

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
teaching
Db2Dq.jpg

^ OK, new category, SBD.

- M

Stylish Business Dress, it speaks a little louder than conservative business dress.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Monday RAF Blue - Breaking some rules
110418072.jpg
110418073.jpg
*must remember to pull my pantaloons up..

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
PG, I am not so into your squares for the most part. However, I like this look a lot. The way the lighter blue contrasts with the black is nice. The totally unexpected brown shoes give it a nice twist.

ctp120

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
PG, I am not so into your squares for the most part. However, I like this look a lot. The way the lighter blue contrasts with the black is nice. The totally unexpected brown shoes give it a nice twist.
Is the tie black or midnight blue? Either way, I have to disagree about the shoes; I'd prefer black with this tie. Gorgeous suit cloth and perfect shirt collar.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
^^ This is pretty good too. I would go for a slightly narrower lapel, FWIW, and maybe a wider spread on the shirt collar but w/o seeing your face can't be sure of the latter.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same tie and square as yesterday's car wreck. I think it's more harmonious today. PS slid up while I shot these, it's not meant to show nearly as much. P.S. I don't care about my shoelaces. Bonus shots:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Lufty, I love the way you keep the trad or [kencpollack]TNSL[/kencpollack] flag flying here. The fit of your stuff is usually exactly what it should be even if most here do not like the sack cut.

Couple of crits:

1) Tone of suit and tie are too close IMO. I don't mind close tonality all the time, but I think it works best with blues and grays. This could be the photo but that suit could be brown, dark olive or gray. I suppose it is gray but it's hard to tell. I like dark green with gray typically but somehow it doesn't "work" here. Could be the lighting, not sure.

2) I don't like the woven tie with the BD. I think the soft, informal collar needs an informal tie, a madder or a foulard or a repp or a knit.

3) This absolutely demands brown shoes. The tie is super "earthy." Black shoes only work with kelly or other bright greens. Brown would look so, so much better.

4) Tuck the sqaure down a bit please.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
that's a beautiful sack. Pants need to be longer though.

Right looks shorter than left, too.

banis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
^^ This is pretty good too. I would go for a slightly narrower lapel, FWIW, and maybe a wider spread on the shirt collar but w/o seeing your face can't be sure of the latter.
Thanks!
Suit is OTR, so lapels were like those. Agree on the shirt collar. Will have it widened and add tie space (there is almost none here) on future comissions.

What are thoughts on mirror shined shoes? How suitable may it be from the conservative point of view? I don't work in a conservative sphere and do not have a dress code at work, so it is mostly a matter of interest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics